Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 842435 times)

LazyDaisy

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7395 on: April 08, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
Well then I guess that proves you were correct all along. Is he still trying to argue that the storm has passed you?  ;)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7396 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »
Well then I guess that proves you were correct all along. Is he still trying to argue that the storm has passed you?  ;)

LOL luckily not...the rain has started, too.  Usually I can tell if he is deliberately not discussing the issue, but right now I'm not sure if that's the case or he really just doesn't care.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #7397 on: April 10, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »
Apparently, what the Eagle meant was that we weren't going to get the brunt of it, that only the edge of the storm would catch us.  I believe him when he says that's what he meant, because now his explanation of seeing clear sky behind the dark sky makes sense.  On the other hand, the entire time I was trying to explain to him how that didn't make any sense that the storm was past us, he didn't think to tell me that he was talking about something completely different.  It never dawned on him that the reason I didn't understand what he meant was because nothing had actually passed us.  ::)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7398 on: April 15, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »
Inspired by the never shopping there again thread and asked out of curiousity not seeking medical advise

Has anyone else had their tonsils disappear?

When I was 10 - 11 years old sis had a series of really bad  strep throats. Our pediatrician and Mom were talking about having her tonsils out. Pediatrician was very cautious and generally didn't want a kid to have an operation unless medically required.

So one day Mom took Sis in for a strep test and me because my allergies were not letting me sleep - either I was choking or ripping my skin open. He and Mom were had been talking about getting sis's tonsils out. Then he examined me and asked "Who butchered this child?" and grabbed my file. My tonsils were basically gone. Since then I have been asked by a couple of doctor "who the hell did such a poor job taking out your tonsils.

Thing is Mom and at least one maternal cousin (our moms are sisters) had the same thing happen. All three of us are asthmatic/highly allergic to things and doctors have speculated that maybe a combination of steroids and our wacked out immune systems that attacks the wrong things resulted in our bodies absorbing out tonsils.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Iris

« Reply #7399 on: April 15, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »
Can I piggy back on kherbert05's question with a related one? (Actually I already am so I guess that question is answered  ;))

Do environmental factors affect the incidence of tonsillitis? I lived for three years in a town where tonsillitis was MUCH more common that I have experienced elsewhere. I'm certain that it wasn't just a misdiagnosing doctor for many reasons, one of which being my own symptoms (and I've never had tonsillitis at any other time in my life, but twice in this town), but there are many more.

I've always wondered if it could be environmental conditions. My own particular suspect was the water supply, which was a unique water supply exclusively used by this town, but that's based on nothing but its uniqueness.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7400 on: April 15, 2013, 11:18:27 PM »
How do people manage to go to the gym after work then cook dinner without starving to death or eating super late?

If I head straight to the gym from work, I get there at 5:30. Work out for an hour then get home around 7. By the time I walk the dog (I live in a condo, no yard) and cook dinner, it's almost 8. And by then I'm going crazy with hunger. Most evenings if I don't have leftovers, I end up eating scrambled eggs for dinner.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7401 on: April 15, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »
Can I piggy back on kherbert05's question with a related one? (Actually I already am so I guess that question is answered  ;))

Do environmental factors affect the incidence of tonsillitis? I lived for three years in a town where tonsillitis was MUCH more common that I have experienced elsewhere. I'm certain that it wasn't just a misdiagnosing doctor for many reasons, one of which being my own symptoms (and I've never had tonsillitis at any other time in my life, but twice in this town), but there are many more.

I've always wondered if it could be environmental conditions. My own particular suspect was the water supply, which was a unique water supply exclusively used by this town, but that's based on nothing but its uniqueness.

Two anecdotal comments on this.

My brother had allergies but never had tonsillitis. I would get it 3 times a year, sometimes more. I never had a cold that didn't go into it.

My friend, several states away and years later, had 4 children. Only one of them was prone to the disease.

kherberto5, my husband at 69 has been a lifelong asthmatic and his tonsils are healthy and intact. He did not take steroids regularly for it, however. I don't know what he used, but it was nonsteroidal inhalers.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7402 on: April 15, 2013, 11:29:31 PM »
How do people manage to go to the gym after work then cook dinner without starving to death or eating super late?

If I head straight to the gym from work, I get there at 5:30. Work out for an hour then get home around 7. By the time I walk the dog (I live in a condo, no yard) and cook dinner, it's almost 8. And by then I'm going crazy with hunger. Most evenings if I don't have leftovers, I end up eating scrambled eggs for dinner.

It's not quite the same thing, but when I was on sports teams in high school, with 2+ hour practices (so, home around 6:30 after showering, etc), I would bring a snack to eat right after school. This was especially important the year I had first lunch at 11:30 instead of 12:30.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7403 on: April 16, 2013, 12:03:18 AM »

Well not everyone has a dog. Or minds eggs for dinner.

To me a worknight dinner is pretty typically 8pm-ish. So really that's pretty on the spot for timing. And why I've always thought noon was a bizarre lunch time, 2 or 3 pm has always been my preference. And an apple or some pre-made snack is great too as soon as you come home to take the edge off. And after dinner, do the prep for tomorrow's so then when you do get home its quicker to whip somthing up.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7404 on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:12 AM »

I have always wondered this as well (and I don't have a dog to worry about). I occasionally have to run errands after work, and it always leaves me crazy hungry before I can get dinner, and usually has me staying up too late.

I would imagine that the answer is, as MrsJWine said, snacks. And either very simple dinners, or someone else doing the cooking.

Personally, my answer is that I go to the gym in the morning. It means having to wake up before 5 (so I go to bed at or before 9 most nights), but at least I have energy and am not about to gnaw my own arm off. For whatever reason, I'm fine not eating breakfast for a couple hours after waking up, but if I don't get my dinner by 6:30 or so, I'm starving. Even though I almost never eat lunch before 1:00.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #7405 on: April 16, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
I am what people refer to as a grazer.  I don't often eat full meals but rather graze throughout the day.  What does this mean for me?  It means that I tend to not over-stuff myself (a bad habit I finally learned to stop doing!) nor tend to feel so hungry I can't stand it.  It took some rearranging, unintentionally, but I managed it.

I no longer eat actual meals but rather "snack" for most of the day.  Every few hours I have a small snack, so even when I get home from an 8 hour workday, I can work out for 1-2 hours without having just eaten and without being achingly hungry.  I would say, on average, I eat about 6-8 times a day.  Granted, the meals are small and would probably be referred to as "snacks", but it works for me.  Please feel free to PM if you would like to know more, even if it is just pure curiosity about how I do it.

that_one_girl

« Reply #7406 on: April 16, 2013, 12:48:31 AM »

Snacks :) 
Also I tend to get a lot of frozen meals as well as making up large batches of things like burritos, meatballs, stuffed potatos, and shepherd's pie.  Those things pretty much take around 30  mins to heat up, so it's a huge time-saver.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #7407 on: April 16, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »
That reminds me, I eat generally healthy snacks.  Do I sometimes indulge and down half a bag of Flamos Doritos?  Sure, but I also find myself eating a bunch of applesauce, too.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7408 on: April 16, 2013, 02:46:18 AM »

Snacks :) 
Also I tend to get a lot of frozen meals as well as making up large batches of things like burritos, meatballs, stuffed potatos, and shepherd's pie.  Those things pretty much take around 30  mins to heat up, so it's a huge time-saver.

30 minutes is a long time when I'm really hungry. Cold cheese is good!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7409 on: April 16, 2013, 07:03:41 AM »

On gym days, I take an extra snack to eat just before I leave work.  It's usually cheese and some fruit, but for me it really can be anything that is high protein and a bit of natural sugar.  If for some reason I forget the snack, I drink a high protein shake the minute I hit home and then worry about cooking dinner.  Also, I try to have chicken or tuna salad in the fridge for an emergency quick dinner or if I just don't feel like cooking.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah