Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1024248 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7470 on: April 22, 2013, 12:32:25 AM »
In an adoption, is the adopted child legally required to take the name of the adoptive parent, or is it just customary?  We have a situation near us where a teen is thinking about allowing his stepfather to adopt him, but doesn't want to lose his original surname.

Nope, not required at all, although some states do have quirky things about needing extra paperwork for some types of name changes.  When Dan Savage (advice columnist) and his partner adopted their son mumblety-teen years ago, they decided to let their son keep his bio mom's last name instead of taking one or the other of his dads'.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7471 on: April 22, 2013, 12:40:26 AM »
In an adoption, is the adopted child legally required to take the name of the adoptive parent, or is it just customary?  We have a situation near us where a teen is thinking about allowing his stepfather to adopt him, but doesn't want to lose his original surname. Please note that I'm NOT asking for legal advice here!

THIS I can answer with authority.  I was adopted.  My name was never changed.  My bio-mom actually found me twenty one years later due to that!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7472 on: April 22, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »
In an adoption, is the adopted child legally required to take the name of the adoptive parent, or is it just customary?  We have a situation near us where a teen is thinking about allowing his stepfather to adopt him, but doesn't want to lose his original surname.

Nope, not required at all, although some states do have quirky things about needing extra paperwork for some types of name changes.  When Dan Savage (advice columnist) and his partner adopted their son mumblety-teen years ago, they decided to let their son keep his bio mom's last name instead of taking one or the other of his dads'.

It's sort of like a marriage. You're able to change your name as part of the process without having to go through the extra procedures normally attendant with legally changing your name, but it's not automatically changed. You still make the choice to do it and exactly what to change. (I've seen kids change their whole names, kids change their last names only, or kids change first and last but keep their old first name as the middle, etc.)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7473 on: April 22, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
Towards the end of "Dirty Dancing", at the final dance, Mr. Kellerman comes out on stage and begins to sing.  Then he's joined by the staff dancers and some of the guests (Baby's sister, for one).  Something about "hearts and hands".

For those of you of a certain age, in 1953's Titanic, the college kids and Audrey Dalton also sing the same tune, but with different lyrics, just before the ship hits the iceberg.  So the tune itself must be older than both of those films (and presumably, older than 1963, when DD was set).

What is the name of that tune??

Just for trivia, Audrey Dalton's love interest was none other than Robert Wagner, who seems ageless.  Over 20 years later, there he is again in The Towering Inferno and Hart to Hart.

CakeBeret

« Reply #7474 on: April 22, 2013, 11:45:42 AM »
You should find a sushi place that makes good bite sized pieces, IMO.

I'm in the midwest so "good" sushi doesn't really happen here, LOL. I've been to pretty much every sushi place in town and they all do this. I will try asking them to cut the pieces smaller.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7475 on: April 22, 2013, 12:57:39 PM »
Towards the end of "Dirty Dancing", at the final dance, Mr. Kellerman comes out on stage and begins to sing.  Then he's joined by the staff dancers and some of the guests (Baby's sister, for one).  Something about "hearts and hands".

For those of you of a certain age, in 1953's Titanic, the college kids and Audrey Dalton also sing the same tune, but with different lyrics, just before the ship hits the iceberg.  So the tune itself must be older than both of those films (and presumably, older than 1963, when DD was set).

Just for trivia, Audrey Dalton's love interest was none other than Robert Wagner, who seems ageless.  Over 20 years later, there he is again in The Towering Inferno and Hart to Hart.
The song from Dirty Dancing is called Kellermans Anthem http://www.lyricsbay.com/kellermans_anthem_lyrics-dirty_dancing_soundtrack.html

The tune is called Annie Lisle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Lisle

The tune is apparently REALLY popular as a school anthem, and has been used by a ton of schools. The tune was featured in Hey Arnold! as the school song of PS-118, according to Wikipedia, in addition to Dirty Dancing and Titanic 1953.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7476 on: April 22, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »

The tune is Cornell's alma mater, along with several other schools (including my high school).  UNlike my high school, Cornell's and Kellerman's is actually grammatically correct.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7477 on: April 22, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
If you use LinkedIn, how seriously do you take "endorsements" of people's skills?

I have a very bare-bones LinkedIn profile with a few connections. Recently I got a invitation to connect from another grad student at my university and accepted it today. Although he is in the same department as I am, he is in a different sub-discipline and I know him only through an extracurricular club that has nothing to do with our field. (Think electrical engineers who only know each other through underwater basket weaving.) I just got a notification that he endorsed most of the skills that I had listed in my profile, plus adding endorsements for several additional skills that I did not have listed. Some of which are totally false. Not just in the sense that he would have no knowledge of my skills in that area or with that software, but in the sense that I have never used the specified software in my life. Of course, I declined to add those endorsements to my profile, but now I'm wondering if the endorsement system has any meaning or if this kind of empty endorsement is common?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7478 on: April 22, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »
If you use LinkedIn, how seriously do you take "endorsements" of people's skills?

I have a very bare-bones LinkedIn profile with a few connections. Recently I got a invitation to connect from another grad student at my university and accepted it today. Although he is in the same department as I am, he is in a different sub-discipline and I know him only through an extracurricular club that has nothing to do with our field. (Think electrical engineers who only know each other through underwater basket weaving.) I just got a notification that he endorsed most of the skills that I had listed in my profile, plus adding endorsements for several additional skills that I did not have listed. Some of which are totally false. Not just in the sense that he would have no knowledge of my skills in that area or with that software, but in the sense that I have never used the specified software in my life. Of course, I declined to add those endorsements to my profile, but now I'm wondering if the endorsement system has any meaning or if this kind of empty endorsement is common?

AFAIK, it is. Some of my skills have been 'endorsed' by people on LinkedIn who would have absolutely no way of knowing if I even know them (i.e. - a church friend endorsed my CMMI skills - which I learned AFTER she left the church, and which I'd have no reason to use at church).

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7479 on: April 22, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »
How seriously do I take endorsements? With a huge grain of salt. For every person who will just do blanket positive endorsements there are several more people who won't. So if i see someone's profile and they are endorsed for 20+ skills, and many of them are only 1 or two people doing the endorsing, i discount those skills, but they there might be another skill, relevant to the person's career path with 20+ people endorsing the page owner for, well that I'm more inclined to believe.

For example I have never done "copy editing" I'm not even 100% sure what the job entails. 2 people, whom I have never worked with, have endorsed me for copy editing.  ::) Those same two people have endorsed me for dozens of skills. But I have done event planning, at two separate companies for a combined total of over a decade. Two dozen people, many of whom have the same employers on their profile as I have on mine, have endorsed me for "event planning" and little to nothing else. So IMO its pretty obvious which skill I actually have and which skill is just something a few friends are confident I could learn.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #7480 on: April 23, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »
I don't take endorsements at all seriously; I have some that are, at best, "this person knows me and trusts that I wouldn't claim a skill I don't have," rather than them having any more direct evidence of my skills, like having worked on a project together.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Iris

« Reply #7481 on: April 24, 2013, 03:05:15 AM »
New stupid question that DH was asking today; He noticed that, in our area at least, place names named after people don't have apostrophes. For example something like Watsons Lake and similar things. Is this universal? Is there some sort of grammar rule relevant to the situation or is it just to make it easier for map makers?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7482 on: April 24, 2013, 09:48:49 AM »
I think a lot of place names get simplified over time, and have been especially in the last 30-40 years with computer databases becoming more common (and poorly implemented ones not allowing 'special' characters).

The town next to my hometown is now "Lees Summit" on many signs and in many databases, but I am pretty sure its official name continues to be "Lee’s Summit".

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7483 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »
Postal address guidelines too. They have machines read the addresses on mail and the machine's don't like punctuation.

https://www.usps.com/send/addressing-tips.htm
Avoid commas, periods, or other punctuation—it helps your mailpiece speed through our processing equipment.

So it stands to reason if you can't use an address with an apostrophe its best to not create one.

Carotte

« Reply #7484 on: April 24, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
Oh, this address thing had me wondering, how many countries beside the US have the return address on the front of the envelope?
That's the only place I know who does it,
In France we put the return address on the back, on the flap.
Hum, the only correspondence I get from the UK has a sticker with the return address on the back too.
If we put it in the front it would most likely be delivered but it would have to be hand sorted.