Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 842870 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7485 on: April 23, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »
I don't take endorsements at all seriously; I have some that are, at best, "this person knows me and trusts that I wouldn't claim a skill I don't have," rather than them having any more direct evidence of my skills, like having worked on a project together.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Iris

« Reply #7486 on: April 24, 2013, 03:05:15 AM »
New stupid question that DH was asking today; He noticed that, in our area at least, place names named after people don't have apostrophes. For example something like Watsons Lake and similar things. Is this universal? Is there some sort of grammar rule relevant to the situation or is it just to make it easier for map makers?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7487 on: April 24, 2013, 09:48:49 AM »
I think a lot of place names get simplified over time, and have been especially in the last 30-40 years with computer databases becoming more common (and poorly implemented ones not allowing 'special' characters).

The town next to my hometown is now "Lees Summit" on many signs and in many databases, but I am pretty sure its official name continues to be "Leeís Summit".

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7488 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »
Postal address guidelines too. They have machines read the addresses on mail and the machine's don't like punctuation.

https://www.usps.com/send/addressing-tips.htm
Avoid commas, periods, or other punctuationóit helps your mailpiece speed through our processing equipment.

So it stands to reason if you can't use an address with an apostrophe its best to not create one.

Carotte

« Reply #7489 on: April 24, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
Oh, this address thing had me wondering, how many countries beside the US have the return address on the front of the envelope?
That's the only place I know who does it,
In France we put the return address on the back, on the flap.
Hum, the only correspondence I get from the UK has a sticker with the return address on the back too.
If we put it in the front it would most likely be delivered but it would have to be hand sorted.

Ereine

« Reply #7490 on: April 24, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »
In Finland the official place for the return address is the top left corner on the front, though you can also put it on the flap. I used to do different types of postal swapping and I think that having the return address there wasn't particularly rare.

Edited to add: according to my collection of padded envelopes waiting for reuse, I've received envelopes with return address on the front from Romania, Germany, UK, The Netherlands, Italy and USA. Envelopes from Japan and Australia had the address on the back, as well as some from the UK.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:29:56 PM by Ereine »

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7491 on: April 24, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »

Speaking of postal services, do postal workers worldwide learn English as a kind of standard language?  When I address something to Russia, I write the address both in Russian and English, but I'm sure my Cyrillic is poor.  How does the letter still get there?  (the postal code, like our ZIP codes?)

perpetua

« Reply #7492 on: April 24, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
Perhaps this is more one for the pronunciation thread, but in my interactions with Americans on various forums I've noticed several of them writing the word 'then' instead of 'than'. For example: 'My car is bigger then yours'.

Are the two words pronounced the same and if so I wonder if so whether people are writing them phonetically? I honestly can't see how the two words could be mixed up any other way and I notice it often enough for it not to be a quirk with one person.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7493 on: April 24, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
Perhaps this is more one for the pronunciation thread, but in my interactions with Americans on various forums I've noticed several of them writing the word 'then' instead of 'than'. For example: 'My car is bigger then yours'.

Are the two words pronounced the same and if so I wonder if so whether people are writing them phonetically? I honestly can't see how the two words could be mixed up any other way and I notice it often enough for it not to be a quirk with one person.

It depends on the accent. There's a very wide array of "American" accents, but when I say the two words, they don't sound different to me at all. I know some people who do pronounce the "a" as a short "a" sound, but I pronounce both as a short "e".

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7494 on: April 24, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »

It depends on the accent. There's a very wide array of "American" accents, but when I say the two words, they don't sound different to me at all. I know some people who do pronounce the "a" as a short "a" sound, but I pronounce both as a short "e".

It isn't just the accent; I have found many many many many times that people just don't know the difference between the two.  People erroneously believe they are homophones (due to accents, yes, and also just ignorance of the difference between the words).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7495 on: April 24, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »

In my experience, they're pronounced exactly the same.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7496 on: April 24, 2013, 05:36:42 PM »

It isn't just the accent; I have found many many many many times that people just don't know the difference between the two.  People erroneously believe they are homophones (due to accents, yes, and also just ignorance of the difference between the words).

I know it's not the accent. I was just telling her that here, they often are pronounced exactly the same, which explains some of the confusion for some people.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7497 on: April 24, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »

While as Mental Magpie notes, itís not just the accent, it can be not knowing, my SO, with his central NY accent does not pronounce them differently, and as much as I correct him (and all his teachers, etc), he says that he just canít grasp the difference in writing, because he says them the same. With my midwest accent, they sound different.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7498 on: April 24, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »

While as Mental Magpie notes, itís not just the accent, it can be not knowing, my SO, with his central NY accent does not pronounce them differently, and as much as I correct him (and all his teachers, etc), he says that he just canít grasp the difference in writing, because he says them the same. With my midwest accent, they sound different.

This may be what lead to someone complaining about the "drug attics" hanging around their apartment I saw when I was on another forum  :o

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7499 on: April 24, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »

I know it's not the accent. I was just telling her that here, they often are pronounced exactly the same, which explains some of the confusion for some people.

I said it isn't JUST the accent because I agree that it is partly the accent.  I wasn't discounting your post, just agreeing and expanding on it a bit.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.