Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1025304 times)

GreenHall

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7515 on: April 25, 2013, 08:21:37 AM »

While as Mental Magpie notes, itís not just the accent, it can be not knowing, my SO, with his central NY accent does not pronounce them differently, and as much as I correct him (and all his teachers, etc), he says that he just canít grasp the difference in writing, because he says them the same. With my midwest accent, they sound different.

Hey this is exciting a word pronunciation difference that I make. (pen/pin and Mary/merry/marry are all the same - and since one of these is my given name, I'd be sensitive to it.  I did receive school Valentines to both Merry and Marry at different times :))

Vall

« Reply #7516 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:16 AM »
Perhaps this is more one for the pronunciation thread, but in my interactions with Americans on various forums I've noticed several of them writing the word 'then' instead of 'than'. For example: 'My car is bigger then yours'.

Are the two words pronounced the same and if so I wonder if so whether people are writing them phonetically? I honestly can't see how the two words could be mixed up any other way and I notice it often enough for it not to be a quirk with one person.
I'm an American who pronounces these words differently.  Then has an e sound.  Than has an a sound.  I don't notice when people say both of them with an e sound but I'd find it odd for someone to pronounce Then with an a sound.  I learned how to pronounce and spell them in school in south Jersey (southern New Jersey ;D).  I've tried to explain the spelling difference to my mid-western DH but he can never remember which is which.  I've wondered about this because I think that he pronounces them slightly different too.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7517 on: April 25, 2013, 10:00:03 AM »
Then and when have the same sound and than and pan have the same sound to me.  But I don't hear a difference between Mary, marry and merry.

From a book I was reading this morning, how do you pronounce 'caulk' (as in caulking around a window).  For me, it rhymes with dock.  Sometimes there is the slightest hint of the 'l' in there but not usually.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7518 on: April 25, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »
Then and when have the same sound and than and pan have the same sound to me.  But I don't hear a difference between Mary, marry and merry.

From a book I was reading this morning, how do you pronounce 'caulk' (as in caulking around a window).  For me, it rhymes with dock.  Sometimes there is the slightest hint of the 'l' in there but not usually.

For me, it rhymes with "squawk" or "Awk".  More an "Awwww" sound than the "ah" of dock.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7519 on: April 25, 2013, 10:39:23 AM »

For me, it rhymes with "squawk" or "Awk".  More an "Awwww" sound than the "ah" of dock.

Same here.
Caulk, walk, squawk, hawk.
Clock, stock, mock, jock.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7520 on: April 25, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »

Same here.
Caulk, walk, squawk, hawk.
Clock, stock, mock, jock.

Those all sound the same to me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

pwy a wyr

« Reply #7521 on: April 25, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
Caulk sounds like Cork to me.  As in wine cork. I got very confused when I started diy to be told to put cork on my coving.  Made sense when I got to the store and saw the spelling. The above discussion made me think.  Does anyone else 'see' words instead of hear them?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7522 on: April 25, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »
perpetua wrote:

"Similarly, I've noticed a lot of people writing 'thot' instead of 'thought'."

I always saw that as a way to speed up texting that just has the side benefit of being easier to spell.

I always pronounce "caulk" like the "L" is silent, and the "au" sound is different from a flat-A "ah" sound.

Outdoor Girl wrote:

"Those all sound the same to me."

"Walk" and "jock" have the same vowel sound to you?  I'd be curious to hear your accent, then.  I've never heard any accent that would make those two words sound like a full rhyme.

Virg

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7523 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
You haven't talked to many rural Canadians, then.   ;D

I've had Americans tell me that my accent is 'adorable'.

I've just been saying 'walk' and 'jock' to myself.  There is a very, very, very slight difference in pronunciation which I probably can only identify because I'm concentrating on it.  Merry, Mary and marry all sound the same, to me, too.
Ontario

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7524 on: April 25, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »

I've had Americans tell me that my accent is 'adorable'.

There is something hilariously cute about some Canadian accents. No other accent amuses me as much. And its not all Canadian accents, its just some people. (The guidance counselor in Todd and the Book of Evil for example has such a funny accent, no other characters on the show have it though.)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7525 on: April 25, 2013, 03:39:03 PM »
I love an East Coast accent, myself.  There is a real difference between somebody from Newfoundland and the rest of the Maritimes that I can usually pick up on.  Cape Bretoners have a different lilt, too, that I love.  Rita McNeil, who recently passed away, and the Rankins are good examples.
Ontario

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7526 on: April 25, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
Confession time...  I can't tell the difference between an American accent and a Canadian one.

*runs away and hides*

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7527 on: April 25, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"You haven't talked to many rural Canadians, then."

I'll confess to that, eh?

Virg

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7528 on: April 25, 2013, 04:11:56 PM »
LOL.  I can't always tell the difference between Aussies, New Zealanders and UK so I get it.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7529 on: April 25, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"You haven't talked to many rural Canadians, then."

I'll confess to that, eh?

Virg

Grooooooooan.

;)
Ontario