Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1059531 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7530 on: April 25, 2013, 04:29:40 PM »

"Walk" and "jock" have the same vowel sound to you?  I'd be curious to hear your accent, then.  I've never heard any accent that would make those two words sound like a full rhyme.

Virg

They're identical when I say them. "Wahk" and "jahk"
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

CakeBeret

« Reply #7531 on: April 25, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »

Outdoor Girl wrote:

"Those all sound the same to me."

"Walk" and "jock" have the same vowel sound to you?  I'd be curious to hear your accent, then.  I've never heard any accent that would make those two words sound like a full rhyme.

Virg

I am a Midwesterner, and it seems that the dialect in my area is predominantly "smoosh sounds together so all words sound the same". Apparently we all lack proper diction. ;) Walk and jock sound exactly the same--walk is pronounced like "wok". I had to stop reading the word pronunciation thread because it made my brain hurt--all those words that were supposed to sound different, sound exactly the same to me. It took me the longest time to figure out how marry/merry/Mary were different because they sound exactly alike here.

When I was a kid I used to try to pronounce words as they are written--i.e. fully pronounce 'walk'--and I got so many strange looks.

Oh, and I hate having to say "caulk" because around here it's pronounced just like the naughty word. I was thoroughly razzed the one and only time I tried announcing "I need to get some caulk."
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #7532 on: April 25, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »
Like chalk but with a 'c' sound not a 'ch'

Mary as in fairy
Marry as in carry
Merry as in ferry

from an  English english speaker

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7533 on: April 26, 2013, 12:21:25 AM »
Like chalk but with a 'c' sound not a 'ch'

Mary as in fairy
Marry as in carry
Merry as in ferry

from an  English english speaker
But fairy, carry, and ferry* all have the same vowel sounds to me!  8) And I can't hear any difference no matter who says them, whether or not they actually say them differently.  I just don't have the ear for them.  Similarly, I may say "medieval" with the first syllable like "medical", not "middle" but certain people will still hear "mid-evil".  The four syllable "meddy-e-val" is very rarely encountered here in the US.  I've only ever heard one person do it, and I think it was an affectation to demonstrate to the rest of us denizens of flyover country what bumpkins we are. ::)

*My mother tells a story about when she was 10 years old, and her mother told her that to get to where they needed to go, they would have to ride on a fairy boat.  She was MOST disappointed that the were no little gauzy-winged humanoids on the ferry! ;D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7534 on: April 26, 2013, 09:24:54 AM »
Mary as in fairy
Marry as in carry
Merry as in ferry

Those still all sound alike to me when I say them.  If I heard you say them, I'd probably hear the difference.  Like my friend named Dawn, who pronounces it like Don and was corrected by her diction coach while in England.  She couldn't pronounce Dawn like an English speaker.  She got so frustrated, she wanted to introduce herself as Elizabeth.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7535 on: April 26, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »

About accents - Way back when Baylor College of Medicine went up to McGill and hired entire labs of people and brought them down. In Mom's group most of the scientists were from the Maritines or British by way of Singapor - evacuated to India - sent from India to England just in time for the blitz. The Texans in the lab they joined were mostly German/Czech/Bohemian settlements had grown up speaking those languages (until December 7, 1941 when whole towns switched to English).

One of them had met and started dating a Cavelier (Frat later became Sigma Nu) from UH. His friends had all grown up in the same 2 Houston neighborhoods (Fed into Lamar and San Jac HS for Houstonians). There were 5 - 8 marriages between those boys and the girls in the lab. Then they all lived within like a 4 block area of each other for the next 7 or so years. Their kids - well we all have mixed up accents. YOu will hear a straight Texas draw, then a word with Martine or British syntex (We went to Hospital leaving out the The most Texans would say), occasional words expressions from German/Czech/Bohemian/Ireland/Scottland (telling a kid to take Shank's Mare when they are bugging and adult for a ride somewhere)

On the good side - I don't care if X actor playing an American slips and his Austrailan accent shows. I'm used to a mishmash.

On the bad side the not Texas part of my accent comes out strongest when I'm saying words in isolation - makes spelling test interesting in my class.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7536 on: April 26, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »
How do you get rid of mold in your potted plant?  It's just on the soil which I already tried to remove by scooping out, but it returned.  What do I need to do?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

snowdragon

« Reply #7537 on: April 26, 2013, 10:31:23 PM »
I have to do a Literature Review for a class. This is the first time I have come across such a thing and It seems to be string of quotes, of paraphrases tied together to create sentences about what you want to discuss.
  Would someone explain to me how this is not considered plagiarism. I am in danger of failing a class because I am having issues with the ethics of this.

Thank you.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7538 on: April 26, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking; can you provide more examples, please?

If you include any quotes or paraphrases, make sure to cite them.  That is the first step in not plagiarizing something.  If they are not your original words/thoughts, cite where from you got them.  You can't over-cite in my opinion.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

CuriousParty

« Reply #7539 on: April 26, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »
I'm a little confused too, but since I've done a lit review, let me see if I can help.

A lit review, in my experience, is the opening chapter for a larger research project/experiment of some kind.  It is based on the principle that scientific research builds on itself, so as part of your reasoning for why you are about to experiment/study something, you discuss what has already been found/asked/studied.  So you present a review of the literature, discuss what is missing/what questions are still to be answered, and then explain how your project will address those gaps.  It is usually paragraph form but heavily cited (e.g., Smith and Jones first explored the concept of space flight in 2000, by.....Ruff and Bones expanded on their work by.....)

What you are describing, though, a string of quotes/summaries, is something I have heard of called a précis. The purpose of this document is create, essentially, a comprehensive citation list and skeleton summary of the research on a given topic.  There is no lead-in to next steps (though there might be a general section at the end identifying future paths/research needs).  The format here does tend to be more bullet points and lists, also very citation heavy.

Neither of these are plagiarism, however, because if they are properly done neither of them are composed with the intent to pass off someone else's work as your own, which is the heart of plagiarism. I can also say that "just" pulling together a comprehensive lit review OR a précis is harder than it sounds.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7540 on: April 27, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
How do you get rid of mold in your potted plant?  It's just on the soil which I already tried to remove by scooping out, but it returned.  What do I need to do?

Not a plant pro, but I'm thinking possible root-rot.

Unpot the plant, thoroughly wash/rinse the roots then trim them back. You can trim the roots quite a bit, unclumping and detangling if necessary.

Then repot the plant with fresh potting soil (and nutrients/fertilizer if desired).

The next few days, it might look like you killed the plant because it will look wilted and sad. That's because the plant is in shock, but it should come back nice and strong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_rot

Good luck!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7541 on: April 27, 2013, 05:34:12 PM »
Well, it's just on the top layer of soil; does that make a difference?

Thanks for the link!  I learned a lot!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7542 on: April 27, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »

One of them had met and started dating a Cavelier (Frat later became Sigma Nu) from UH. His friends had all grown up in the same 2 Houston neighborhoods (Fed into Lamar and San Jac HS for Houstonians). There were 5 - 8 marriages between those boys and the girls in the lab. Then they all lived within like a 4 block area of each other for the next 7 or so years. Their kids - well we all have mixed up accents. YOu will hear a straight Texas draw, then a word with Martine or British syntex (We went to Hospital leaving out the The most Texans would say), occasional words expressions from German/Czech/Bohemian/Ireland/Scottland (telling a kid to take Shank's Mare when they are bugging and adult for a ride somewhere.

Per the bolded: I've noticed that you've written it "Texas draw" more than once. I'm curious - is that how you say it, as opposed to "Texas drawl"? Is that a TX thing? I don't know many Texans so I have no idea.

that_one_girl

« Reply #7543 on: April 27, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »

One of them had met and started dating a Cavelier (Frat later became Sigma Nu) from UH. His friends had all grown up in the same 2 Houston neighborhoods (Fed into Lamar and San Jac HS for Houstonians). There were 5 - 8 marriages between those boys and the girls in the lab. Then they all lived within like a 4 block area of each other for the next 7 or so years. Their kids - well we all have mixed up accents. YOu will hear a straight Texas draw, then a word with Martine or British syntex (We went to Hospital leaving out the The most Texans would say), occasional words expressions from German/Czech/Bohemian/Ireland/Scottland (telling a kid to take Shank's Mare when they are bugging and adult for a ride somewhere.

Per the bolded: I've noticed that you've written it "Texas draw" more than once. I'm curious - is that how you say it, as opposed to "Texas drawl"? Is that a TX thing? I don't know many Texans so I have no idea.

I used to live in Texas, and it seems that they have a migrating L
It disappears from "drawl" to show up on the end of "bra".  I was so confused when my friend's daughter whispered to me that the strap of my leopard print "brawl" was showing.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7544 on: April 28, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »

I used to live in Texas, and it seems that they have a migrating L
It disappears from "drawl" to show up on the end of "bra".  I was so confused when my friend's daughter whispered to me that the strap of my leopard print "brawl" was showing.

Ah, that makes sense. So pronouncing it "draw" means that people will also spell it that way. So, when someone "draws" a picture, it's basically identical in pronunciation/spelling? I admit, "Brawl" would get a  :o out of me.