Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 975040 times)

snowdragon

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7545 on: April 28, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »
I'm a little confused too, but since I've done a lit review, let me see if I can help.

A lit review, in my experience, is the opening chapter for a larger research project/experiment of some kind.  It is based on the principle that scientific research builds on itself, so as part of your reasoning for why you are about to experiment/study something, you discuss what has already been found/asked/studied.  So you present a review of the literature, discuss what is missing/what questions are still to be answered, and then explain how your project will address those gaps.  It is usually paragraph form but heavily cited (e.g., Smith and Jones first explored the concept of space flight in 2000, by.....Ruff and Bones expanded on their work by.....)

What you are describing, though, a string of quotes/summaries, is something I have heard of called a précis. The purpose of this document is create, essentially, a comprehensive citation list and skeleton summary of the research on a given topic.  There is no lead-in to next steps (though there might be a general section at the end identifying future paths/research needs).  The format here does tend to be more bullet points and lists, also very citation heavy.

Neither of these are plagiarism, however, because if they are properly done neither of them are composed with the intent to pass off someone else's work as your own, which is the heart of plagiarism. I can also say that "just" pulling together a comprehensive lit review OR a précis is harder than it sounds.

This is not for a book or even a lead in to a study - it's a stand alone paper and you're right in that it is not like any lit review that I have ever seen before.  It helps having someone I respect say they've done these things - and that they are not plagiarism. I bit the bullet and did the paper and sent in for comment by the teacher.
  We've been butting heads all semester, so I really do not feel comfortable asking her anything.
  My stress level got so bad over the ethics of this assignment that I spent Friday night in tears, trying to decide if I can really do grad school.  Your post helped an awful lot. Thank you so much!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7546 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
Well, it's just on the top layer of soil; does that make a difference?

Thanks for the link!  I learned a lot!

I had this happen with a bamboo plant, one of those that lives in rocks and water (in a tiny container on my desk). I did wash the whole thing, including the rocks, and reassembled it. It fixed the issue - lived another two years!

If it's just on the top, you could try scooping the moldy part (and about an inch more, to make sure youv'e got it all) and then wipe the exposed plant with wet paper towels, and maybe spray a touch of lysol on the paper towel. You may be able to avoid repotting the whole thing, if it's big and would be difficult to do.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7547 on: April 29, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
Well, it's just on the top layer of soil; does that make a difference?

Thanks for the link!  I learned a lot!

I had this happen with a bamboo plant, one of those that lives in rocks and water (in a tiny container on my desk). I did wash the whole thing, including the rocks, and reassembled it. It fixed the issue - lived another two years!

If it's just on the top, you could try scooping the moldy part (and about an inch more, to make sure youv'e got it all) and then wipe the exposed plant with wet paper towels, and maybe spray a touch of lysol on the paper towel. You may be able to avoid repotting the whole thing, if it's big and would be difficult to do.

Thanks!

It's just a tomato plant in a small planter; I could easily repot it, I just don't want to.  I am new to this growing my own stuff so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Louie_LI

« Reply #7548 on: April 29, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »
Oh, this address thing had me wondering, how many countries beside the US have the return address on the front of the envelope?
That's the only place I know who does it,
In France we put the return address on the back, on the flap.
Hum, the only correspondence I get from the UK has a sticker with the return address on the back too.
If we put it in the front it would most likely be delivered but it would have to be hand sorted.

Looking at today's mail here in Paris, half had the return address on the back, half on the front (Ministere des Finances, Sephora, a wine maker).

In my experience in the US, it can be either on the front or the back.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7549 on: April 30, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
New question:

What is "normal" as far as how often cats do their business?

Having a cat, you would think that I should know this. I guess I just don't pay attention (plus being at work all day :-\)

Today, when I got home from work, poor kitty was shut in our powder room! for 8+ hours! Not even a rug on the floor or a towel on the counter for her to cuddle up with! :'(

I thought for sure that there would be some sort of mess to clean up. Nope. Not a thing that I could find (the toilet was closed.)

She didn't even make a bee-line to her box when I let her out. She did, however, properly chastise me by slapping me in the face when I gave her "I'm sorry!" hugs before running off to her food/water dish.

So, what is normal? Is this something I should be worried about?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7550 on: April 30, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »
New question:

Having a cat, you would think that I should know this. I guess I just don't pay attention (plus being at work all day :-\)

Today, when I got home from work, poor kitty was shut in our powder room! for 8+ hours! Not even a rug on the floor or a towel on the counter for her to cuddle up with! :'(

I thought for sure that there would be some sort of mess to clean up. Nope. Not a thing that I could find (the toilet was closed.)

She didn't even make a bee-line to her box when I let her out. She did, however, properly chastise me by slapping me in the face when I gave her "I'm sorry!" hugs before running off to her food/water dish.

My cats can really hold it!  One or more of them gets locked in closet or a room overnight once in a while, and none of them has ever gone potty outside their litterbox.  I am always amazed too!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7551 on: April 30, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »
Go back and double check with a sniff test, just to make sure.  Cats are very fastidious and don't like to just do their business anywhere so it is entirely possible that she did hold it.  Love the slapping of your face, though.   :)

I accidentally locked one of my cats in the garage overnight - from about 8:00 to 9:00 the next morning.  I should have realized because I didn't see her when I went to feed her at 10:00 at night.  I thought she'd held it all night.  But when I got home, I could clearly smell the evidence.  The smart little cookie did her business in the paper recycling box on top of all the paper.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7552 on: April 30, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
It's a power room with no tub or shower, right? Because one of my cats would sometimes go right over the drain, if he felt the litter box wasn't clean enough, i.e. someone else had used it and I hadn't scooped it yet.

But I've accidentally shut a cat in a room for several hours more than once, and not had any "inappropriate elimination," as the cat books like to call it.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7553 on: April 30, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
Cats are incredibly stubborn and can hold their business for a really long time if they have cause to!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7554 on: April 30, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »

One of them had met and started dating a Cavelier (Frat later became Sigma Nu) from UH. His friends had all grown up in the same 2 Houston neighborhoods (Fed into Lamar and San Jac HS for Houstonians). There were 5 - 8 marriages between those boys and the girls in the lab. Then they all lived within like a 4 block area of each other for the next 7 or so years. Their kids - well we all have mixed up accents. YOu will hear a straight Texas draw, then a word with Martine or British syntex (We went to Hospital leaving out the The most Texans would say), occasional words expressions from German/Czech/Bohemian/Ireland/Scottland (telling a kid to take Shank's Mare when they are bugging and adult for a ride somewhere.

Per the bolded: I've noticed that you've written it "Texas draw" more than once. I'm curious - is that how you say it, as opposed to "Texas drawl"? Is that a TX thing? I don't know many Texans so I have no idea.

I used to live in Texas, and it seems that they have a migrating L
It disappears from "drawl" to show up on the end of "bra".  I was so confused when my friend's daughter whispered to me that the strap of my leopard print "brawl" was showing.

Ah, that makes sense. So pronouncing it "draw" means that people will also spell it that way. So, when someone "draws" a picture, it's basically identical in pronunciation/spelling? I admit, "Brawl" would get a  :o out of me.

HeeHee...Native Texan here. I don't think I've heard bra with an "L" but I will admit that I on occasion might drawl you a pretty picture. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7555 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »
Speaking of the traveling L, what accent is it that inserts R into words that don't have one?

I've encountered a lot of folks around this area that say "I'm going to warsh my hair." or "We're going to Warshington D.C."  Is it a southern PA thing? West Virginia thing?  North Virginia thing?  I'm in the same state I grew up in but a different part, about an hour's drive west and we're sandwiched between PA and North VA.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7556 on: May 01, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »
Speaking of the traveling L, what accent is it that inserts R into words that don't have one?

I've encountered a lot of folks around this area that say "I'm going to warsh my hair." or "We're going to Warshington D.C."  Is it a southern PA thing? West Virginia thing?  North Virginia thing?  I'm in the same state I grew up in but a different part, about an hour's drive west and we're sandwiched between PA and North VA.

I’ve heard it in parts of MO, too (by life-long residents, not transplants)

Calistoga

« Reply #7557 on: May 01, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
New question:

Cats aren't like dogs. They'll hold it until they can go in an ideal location- like people. Unless the cat is old, it's rare to come home and find a big mess outside the litter box.

I think it's a Southern US thing in general. Here in MS people warsh their cars.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7558 on: May 01, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »

The only person I ever knew who did that was from North Dakota.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7559 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »
I did look it up and one site said it was an Appalachian thing which would make sense in this area at least.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata