Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 844930 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7560 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »
Speaking of the traveling L, what accent is it that inserts R into words that don't have one?

I've encountered a lot of folks around this area that say "I'm going to warsh my hair." or "We're going to Warshington D.C."  Is it a southern PA thing? West Virginia thing?  North Virginia thing?  I'm in the same state I grew up in but a different part, about an hour's drive west and we're sandwiched between PA and North VA.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7561 on: May 01, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »
Speaking of the traveling L, what accent is it that inserts R into words that don't have one?

I've encountered a lot of folks around this area that say "I'm going to warsh my hair." or "We're going to Warshington D.C."  Is it a southern PA thing? West Virginia thing?  North Virginia thing?  I'm in the same state I grew up in but a different part, about an hour's drive west and we're sandwiched between PA and North VA.

Iíve heard it in parts of MO, too (by life-long residents, not transplants)

Calistoga

« Reply #7562 on: May 01, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
New question:

What is "normal" as far as how often cats do their business?

Having a cat, you would think that I should know this. I guess I just don't pay attention (plus being at work all day :-\)

Today, when I got home from work, poor kitty was shut in our powder room! for 8+ hours! Not even a rug on the floor or a towel on the counter for her to cuddle up with! :'(

I thought for sure that there would be some sort of mess to clean up. Nope. Not a thing that I could find (the toilet was closed.)

She didn't even make a bee-line to her box when I let her out. She did, however, properly chastise me by slapping me in the face when I gave her "I'm sorry!" hugs before running off to her food/water dish.

So, what is normal? Is this something I should be worried about?

Cats aren't like dogs. They'll hold it until they can go in an ideal location- like people. Unless the cat is old, it's rare to come home and find a big mess outside the litter box.

I think it's a Southern US thing in general. Here in MS people warsh their cars.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7563 on: May 01, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »

The only person I ever knew who did that was from North Dakota.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7564 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »
I did look it up and one site said it was an Appalachian thing which would make sense in this area at least.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7565 on: May 01, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »
I did look it up and one site said it was an Appalachian thing which would make sense in this area at least.

I am from northwestern PA and my mom's generation all say it.  However, my FMIL, from Texas, also says "warsh"; she did spend time in PA but the Eagle says she has always said that way (take that with a grain of salt).  I have lived in MO and heard it there, too, but again, only from someone in my mom's generation.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Betelnut

« Reply #7566 on: May 01, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

I work with a woman who grew up in Maryland, close to DC.  She says, "warsh."
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7567 on: May 02, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »
LDH and his family say "warsh" . . . They are from Missouri.

I really can't think of any other word they use the traveling R with.

Oh, and thanks everybody! for answering my cats & their business question. I feel better now. ;D

wheeitsme

« Reply #7568 on: May 02, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »
All I know is that one of the quickest ways to make my mother cringe was to tell her we were goin to warsh aor pajaaaamas in the crick for a neckle.   ;D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7569 on: May 02, 2013, 07:45:04 PM »
Definately change your password.  Make it very complicated.  Make it so complicated you have to write it on scrap paper and hide it under your monitor.  If you are feeling ambitious change the passwords for all of your accounts.

Do not write it down and store it under your monitor; that's a good way for it to get hacked if anyone breaks into your house.

One of the best ways to create a complicated password is to choose a phrase and make it a password.

"Sally saw seashells by the seashore" could be "Sscsbtsc"; substitute phonetic spellings to make it more complicated (like I did the the Cs) or numbers if you can remember the connection.

Yes, definitely change your passwords.

Another thing you can do, in places where a really LONG password is accepted, is to come up with a word for each member of your household and then use caps or symbols.

Like there are four of you; ranked in age, they are Dad, Mom, Sister, and Brother. Dad likes to play golf; mom sews; sister plays clarinet; brother plays football. So: hole in one, seam ripper, benny goodman, touchdown

That becomes:
0in1seamripperBennyGoodmantouch/

numbers, caps, letters, nothing recognizable. Easy to remember.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #7570 on: May 02, 2013, 07:48:28 PM »
My mother was from Warshington State.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7571 on: May 02, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
New question:

Having a cat, you would think that I should know this. I guess I just don't pay attention (plus being at work all day :-\)

Speaking of: how much is normal for kitties to pee each day?

We have a new kitten, and she gets a little water bowl by the sink, which she insists on drinking out of every time any of us go in the bathroom.

She also has a main water dish.
I feel like she uses up a LOT of the clumping litter when she urinates each day. Each box of litter will NOT last as long as they say on the box.

I don't know if it's normal, or if she's drinking too much because of the novelty, or if she's drinking so much because of a kidney issue.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7572 on: May 02, 2013, 08:39:31 PM »
Re:  warsh.  My friend's mother said it that way and she lived so far up the Upper Peninsula (Michigan) that she was in Canada.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7573 on: May 02, 2013, 11:03:37 PM »
New question:

Speaking of: how much is normal for kitties to pee each day?

We have a new kitten, and she gets a little water bowl by the sink, which she insists on drinking out of every time any of us go in the bathroom.

She also has a main water dish.
I feel like she uses up a LOT of the clumping litter when she urinates each day. Each box of litter will NOT last as long as they say on the box.

I don't know if it's normal, or if she's drinking too much because of the novelty, or if she's drinking so much because of a kidney issue.
I've always found kittens are like babies and have smaller bladders so go more often. As they grow they seem to visit the box less.

It's good your kitten is drinking often. Cats can get urinary track infections and lots of water will keep those at bay.

snowfire

« Reply #7574 on: May 03, 2013, 01:02:40 AM »
My MIL is from tiny town in Montana & she says "warsh".