Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1066455 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7575 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »
Now I'm enchanted with the fresh bay leaf idea. Could my daughter get it a Penzey's for me, and then would it help if I freeze it?

I use twice as much as the recipe calls for because once the bottle is opened, it looses flavor quickly. Would it help to freeze the bottle once it is open?

Please don't tell me I can get fresh at my local grocer: I can't.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7576 on: May 03, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
Penzey's has dried bay leaves, but they are very fresh as far as flavor. I would buy what I could use for 6 months and freeze them to keep them fresh.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7577 on: May 03, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »
Now I'm enchanted with the fresh bay leaf idea. Could my daughter get it a Penzey's for me, and then would it help if I freeze it?

I use twice as much as the recipe calls for because once the bottle is opened, it looses flavor quickly. Would it help to freeze the bottle once it is open?

I've never seen someone use a truly fresh (as in undried) bay leaf, only the dried kind. Penzey's has them.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7578 on: May 03, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
I use them a lot, Art. I can get them fresh on a branch from some grocers and at the farmer's market.

There is also a superstition that you should keep a bay leaf in your wallet, to bring money. Put it in fresh, replace the old, crumbly one at New Year's for a fresh leaf.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7579 on: May 08, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
As a general rule, when an actor leaves a TV show, does the show still have the right to use footage of them filmed while they were part of the cast?

For example, in the first few seasons of the show Criminal Minds, there was a main character called Agent Gideon. He was written out, apparently because the actor thought the show was getting gratuitously gory and didn't want to be associated with it anymore. Thus, I'm guessing he wouldn't be interested in returning as a guest star, like some actors do. So if the writers wanted to, say, show a flashback and were able to put it together using old footage from when he was part of the show, would they have free reign to use that footage or would they have to get the actor's permission? Or is this something that would be defined on an individual basis when the contracts were drawn up?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7580 on: May 08, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »
One of my favorite shows and actors. I don't know how they would do it.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7581 on: May 08, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
As a general rule, when an actor leaves a TV show, does the show still have the right to use footage of them filmed while they were part of the cast?

For example, in the first few seasons of the show Criminal Minds, there was a main character called Agent Gideon. He was written out, apparently because the actor thought the show was getting gratuitously gory and didn't want to be associated with it anymore. Thus, I'm guessing he wouldn't be interested in returning as a guest star, like some actors do. So if the writers wanted to, say, show a flashback and were able to put it together using old footage from when he was part of the show, would they have free reign to use that footage or would they have to get the actor's permission? Or is this something that would be defined on an individual basis when the contracts were drawn up?

This one, I think.

The last episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine [spoiler] lacked flashbacks of Jadzia Dax because they didn't have the right to use her image.

wheeitsme

« Reply #7582 on: May 08, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »
I'm guessing that it is usually covered in your contract.  And the better contract you have, the more likely you have that kind of control.  If residuals are written into the contract,  then the actor tends to get paid for the "Flashback" as well.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7583 on: May 08, 2013, 04:55:49 PM »
If a person disappears and is declared legally dead after the appropriate number of years, then turns up alive later on, does the family have to return any life insurance that they collected?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Iris

« Reply #7584 on: May 08, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
Oo, I've always wondered that.

My stupid question is very different though: Can fish swim backwards? I watched one do so (in a tank) yesterday and realised I've never seen that before, so I wondered if maybe it was playing a clever trick on me somehow.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7585 on: May 08, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »
Iris wrote:

"My stupid question is very different though: Can fish swim backwards?"

There's nothing that makes swimming backward physically impossible, much like a human being can walk backward (or for that matter, swim backward) if they're sufficiently coordinated to do it.  I imagine it's pretty challenging but I've seen fish swimming backward so I know it can be done.

Virg

squeakers

« Reply #7586 on: May 08, 2013, 08:19:28 PM »
Oo, I've always wondered that.

My stupid question is very different though: Can fish swim backwards? I watched one do so (in a tank) yesterday and realised I've never seen that before, so I wondered if maybe it was playing a clever trick on me somehow.

Some can and some can't: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/135227-can-fish-swim-backwards/
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

clio917

« Reply #7587 on: May 09, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »

I've never seen someone use a truly fresh (as in undried) bay leaf, only the dried kind. Penzey's has them.

We bought a bay laurel bush from our local plant nursery and keep it on our back porch (right outside our kitchen). It's an evergreen, so we can go outside and cut fresh bay leaves all year long.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7588 on: May 09, 2013, 08:50:44 AM »
Great Idea!

We start the summer semester Monday. I am posting this on my door:

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7589 on: May 09, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »
Great Idea!

We start the summer semester Monday. I am posting this on my door:

Not rude enough for Tarder Sauce.  :D