Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1024154 times)

demarco

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7590 on: May 09, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
 Do most coin laundry machines accept dollar coins?

I have a bunch of the coins I'd like to take along for doing laundry when we take vacation this summer but I don't want to bother if I can't use them for that purpose. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7591 on: May 09, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »

I have a bunch of the coins I'd like to take along for doing laundry when we take vacation this summer but I don't want to bother if I can't use them for that purpose.

I've never seen one that had anything other than slots for quarters.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7592 on: May 09, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »
I've been using public washing machines for the last 20 years or so. I have never seen one that takes dollar bills. Many machines now however take cards -either credit cards or pre-paid cards. The add-value card machine in my building only takes bills - and no singles, $5, $10 or $20 only - and the washers only accept the pre-paid cards as payment.

dawnfire

« Reply #7593 on: May 09, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
most laundromats I've been to take $1 coins (I'm in Australia )

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7594 on: May 09, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »

It depends on what country you're in. Where are you traveling to?

Here in the US, I haven't seen "dollar coins" unless they were the silver old fashioned coins where you would be seriously reprimanded for actually trying to purchase something for $1 with one of those valuable coins.

In the US quarters are the norm for laundry and all other vending machines.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7595 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:27 PM »

Here in the US, I haven't seen "dollar coins" unless they were the silver old fashioned coins where you would be seriously reprimanded for actually trying to purchase something for $1 with one of those valuable coins.

Really, you haven't seen the new gold ones? (Or even the Susan B. Anthony ones? Silver, but not ones anyone would consider valuable.) Some places really push those, and most new vending machines accept them. (I'm in TX.) but I wouldn't count on them for laundry. The ones that are still coin operated are old enough that they wouldn't be configured for dollar coins.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:25:53 PM by KenveeB »

Betelnut

« Reply #7596 on: May 10, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »
I don't know about laundry machines but our candy and soda machines take them!  You can pay with a $5.00 bill and it spits out the change in dollar coins.  Very nice!  I use them to buy more candy or give to my daughter--we call them "doubloons."
Native Texan, Marylander currently

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7597 on: May 10, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »

Really, you haven't seen the new gold ones? (Or even the Susan B. Anthony ones? Silver, but not ones anyone would consider valuable.) Some places really push those, and most new vending machines accept them. (I'm in TX.) but I wouldn't count on them for laundry. The ones that are still coin operated are old enough that they wouldn't be configured for dollar coins.

Very rarely have I seen a Susan B. Anthony coin. I didn't even know they were still being made.

And no. I haven't seen a new gold coins either.

I must live in some sort of cave! :P

(I'm in the Chicago area.)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7598 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
Very rarely have I seen a Susan B. Anthony coin. I didn't even know they were still being made.

The golden Sacagawea's have been in circulation since 2000, so they aren't really "new" anymore, just new in comparison to Susan B Anthonys.

In NYC they are very popular change from high cost vending machines, like for example if you buy a railroad ticket from a machine, often $4.50 to $19 and pay with a $20 bill, your change will be in coins, and well, quarters would be obnoxious so dollar coins it is. As a result the coins are in highest circulation in the area around the train stations, but certainly they aren't rare throughout the city.

You should be able to get them from any bank, I suggest you get a few for fun. They are super fun to give to kids.

clio917

« Reply #7599 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »

The golden Sacagawea's have been in circulation since 2000, so they aren't really "new" anymore, just new in comparison to Susan B Anthonys.

In NYC they are very popular change from high cost vending machines, like for example if you buy a railroad ticket from a machine, often $4.50 to $19 and pay with a $20 bill, your change will be in coins, and well, quarters would be obnoxious so dollar coins it is. As a result the coins are in highest circulation in the area around the train stations, but certainly they aren't rare throughout the city.

You should be able to get them from any bank, I suggest you get a few for fun. They are super fun to give to kids.

There is also a new set of presidential $1 coins. I've only ever seen George Washington "out in the wild" and only once. I think people keep them when they get them...

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7600 on: May 10, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »
There is also a new set of presidential $1 coins. I've only ever seen George Washington "out in the wild" and only once. I think people keep them when they get them...
That's actually by design! They want people to keep coins out of circulation, as it increases demand for coins to be minted, which makes them money (well, the Treasury makes money).

http://www.usmint.gov/kids/coinNews/funFacts.cfm?funFactID=4

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7601 on: May 10, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »
When you keep a coin out of circulation because you like how it looks, you are essentially loaning the government money interest-free.

That's what commemorative coins are for.

As for whether the $1US coins are used in laundries and vending machines:

I'd say no. I've seen a few vending machines that will take the $1 coin, but in my *own* experience I would say that's very, very rare. I would by highly surprised if "most" machines take them, even in other areas.

CuriousParty

« Reply #7602 on: May 10, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »

Our tooth fairy brings these. Our 6 year old has a nice stash of "Fairy Money" :)

Carotte

« Reply #7603 on: May 10, 2013, 06:04:14 PM »
This reminds me of when the euro came out, since every country in the euro zone had it's set of coins (well, on one side), so that's 8 coins for 13 countries that people started collecting.
After a few years people stopped keeping them and there's a bit more mixing,
yet there's a few I think I've never seen, and being in a capital I'm probably in a good position to see a mix of them.
For 13 coins (in my purse) I have 2 'foreign' ones, Germany and Portugal; which are the most prevalent ones with Spain, Belgium and Ireland.
The hardest to have are the really small ones, 1,2,5 and 10c.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7604 on: May 11, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »

Oh, yeah! The Sacagawea's! I know those coins. In fact I have two rolls of them, given to me by my LateFIL when the first came out, to pass on to my DDs when they get older. Maybe they'll be worth something? ::)

I've never received one as change for something.

Then again, I've realized, that I very rarely use cash . . . probably why I don't see dollar coins in circulation. So ignore my reply. :P

New question:

How did "Hank" become a nick-name for "Henry?"