Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1087668 times)

Iris

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7605 on: May 11, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »

New question:

How did "Hank" become a nick-name for "Henry?"

I don't know but I've had the same question about "harry" for years. Also "Jack" for John. It's not even shorter!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

MerryCat

« Reply #7606 on: May 11, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »
I've got kind of a dumb question, again - what is the plural of faux pas? I've just realized that I've no idea.

Coruscation

« Reply #7607 on: May 11, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »

New question:

I don't know but I've had the same question about "harry" for years. Also "Jack" for John. It's not even shorter!

It's not about length. It's about the period in English history when only biblical names were allowed. I think I've read somewhere that 10% of Englishmen were named Tom at one point. Presumably John was similar. Combine that with the custom of naming boys after their male relatives and you had a lot of men in the one family with the same name, so they needed variations to distinguish them. Why those in particular, I'm not sure.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7608 on: May 11, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »
I've got kind of a dumb question, again - what is the plural of faux pas? I've just realized that I've no idea.

As an irregular, it stays the same plural or singular...like fish in English.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7609 on: May 11, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »

...except when discussing loaves and fishes.  :D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7610 on: May 11, 2013, 09:26:31 PM »

...except when discussing loaves and fishes.  :D

Or Three Dog Night...;)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7611 on: May 12, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »
Recently, I received not one, but two incorrect orders from Amazon.  I never did receive the product I actually ordered, but my money for first mistake and the replacement product, that was also wrong, was promptly credited back to me.  I gave a neutral (3) to the seller as feedback with a very detailed response as to why I scored the seller the way I did. Also, Amazon pulled/froze the page when I complained the second time because I felt like it was a sort of bait and switch going on there.  The product I received was similar, made by the same company, but not something that was interchangeable and was much less expensive.

I received an email from the seller with an apology and a request to remove my feedback.  The seller stated that though they put the listing on any other seller could edit the picture or description of the contents.  This sounds fishy to me.  Can that actually happen?  Or is this yahoo just spinning a tale so I'll remove my feedback (I'm not going to as everything I put in it was accurate).

FTR, I ended up ordering product from a completely different on line site.  It cost me a bit more, but they did send me the correct item in record time.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7612 on: May 13, 2013, 12:19:49 PM »
Use the Amazon A-Z guarantee. Years ago, I ordered the (at the time) complete James Bond movie collection on DVD. What was described and pictured was a fold out hard shell case with individual disc holders. What I received was a cardboard box with a flimsy film cd holder with the discs and all of the menu information is in Chinese. I immediately reported the seller and the item, and was given a full refund without returning the items.

I recently had a similar situation with a seller on eBay. I ordered a Vera Bradley bag from one seller, with no issues. When I ordered the wallet, the shipping times looked off, but it was too late, the order was already paid for. The seller claimed to be from the US, but the city was China. Turned out the seller was in China. I contacted ebay customer service with no reply and left negative feedback.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7613 on: May 13, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
My oven died recently, and we got the new one in today.  While browsing through the manual, I discovered it has a "Sabbath mode" so you can set it to automatically turn on and off and whatnot at specific times, so you don't have to push buttons on the Sabbath.

I am only passingly familiar with the Jewish restriction on doing work on the Sabbath, and I recognize that this degree of restriction is something only some Jewish people do - but how is it "work" to turn on your oven but not to put the food in it to bake?  Is there a master list somewhere of what things are "work" and what aren't?  Does the list change as new technology gets invented?  (And do touch screens count as buttons?)

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #7614 on: May 13, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
My oven died recently, and we got the new one in today.  While browsing through the manual, I discovered it has a "Sabbath mode" so you can set it to automatically turn on and off and whatnot at specific times, so you don't have to push buttons on the Sabbath.

I am only passingly familiar with the Jewish restriction on doing work on the Sabbath, and I recognize that this degree of restriction is something only some Jewish people do - but how is it "work" to turn on your oven but not to put the food in it to bake?  Is there a master list somewhere of what things are "work" and what aren't?  Does the list change as new technology gets invented?  (And do touch screens count as buttons?)

That's weird.  My oven has a sabbath mode, but all it's good for is roasting war pigs.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7615 on: May 13, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
New question:

It's not about length. It's about the period in English history when only biblical names were allowed. I think I've read somewhere that 10% of Englishmen were named Tom at one point. Presumably John was similar. Combine that with the custom of naming boys after their male relatives and you had a lot of men in the one family with the same name, so they needed variations to distinguish them. Why those in particular, I'm not sure.
Warning!  Warning!  Onomastic history button pushed!

"Hank" and "Jack" are double diminutives.  Diminutives in most English names are shortened versions of names, like Mike and Will and Rob, but not always.  You also get things like "Johnnie", longer than the original John, which may hang on long after the older John in the family is gone. 

During the Middle Ages,  -ken/-kin/-kyn were common methods of forming diminutives (among others); they all mean 'little'.  The younger male relatives of John and Henry were sometimes tagged as Jankyn and Hankyn.  Jack and Hank are shortened forms of those diminutives.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:52:57 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7616 on: May 13, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »

The food is usually placed inside before the Shabbath and the oven kept at a low temperature.

Elisabunny

« Reply #7617 on: May 13, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »
New question:

"Hank" and "Jack" are double diminutives.  Diminutives in most English names are shortened versions of names, like Mike and Will and Rob, but not always.  You also get things like "Johnnie", longer than the original John, which may hang on long after the older John in the family is gone. 

During the Middle Ages,  -ken/-kin/-kyn were common methods of forming diminutives (among others); they all mean 'little'.  The younger male relatives of John and Henry were sometimes tagged as Jankyn and Hankyn.  Jack and Hank are shortened forms of those diminutives.

Cool!  Now, can you explain how we get Molly and Polly from Mary?   :)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #7618 on: May 13, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »
New question:

And Meg and Peg from Margaret?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7619 on: May 13, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
New question:

And Meg and Peg from Margaret?

I'd like to know who first came up with Daisy for Margaret! It is a nice nickname, but still...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.