Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1124383 times)

mathchick

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7650 on: May 15, 2013, 08:55:53 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy baby onesies in red and black? A friend of mine and his wife are expecting. I would prefer to spend less than $8 each on them.

http://www.thedealrack.com/p-2554-rabbit-skins-infant-5-oz-lap-shoulder-creeper-onesie-4400.aspx?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNO0w-m0mbcCFZFr7AodhmMABQ

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7651 on: May 15, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation!  ;D One more question: is there a specific name for that type of ship? When I first started wondering about this, I realized I had no idea what to even start searching for if I wanted information about what was involved in operating sailing a ship like that.

It's so nice having this thread for odd/bizarre questions! When I originally commented to my roommate that I didn't think one person would be able to sail that ship alone, her response was "On this show, that's what's bothering you?"  ??? But yes, dang it, I wanted to know!  ;D

It's sort-of a brig. Here's a piece on various sail plans.

As you may be able to tell from the link in my signature, one of my hobbies is crewing on a a tall ship. I sail mostly on brigantines or hermaphrodite brigs (sounds naughty, doesn't it?) In fact, if you go to that page, the picture is of the Exy Johnson; I sail on her and her twin, the Irving Johnson.

Homeport: Los Angeles, CA -- small world.  :) I still haven't managed to wrap my head around how much really cool stuff goes on in the big city of LA...I think I need to go do some googling about where landlubbers like me can go to watch the cool ships.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7652 on: May 15, 2013, 11:04:16 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy baby onesies in red and black? A friend of mine and his wife are expecting. I would prefer to spend less than $8 each on them.

http://www.thedealrack.com/p-2554-rabbit-skins-infant-5-oz-lap-shoulder-creeper-onesie-4400.aspx?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNO0w-m0mbcCFZFr7AodhmMABQ

Great price, thank you!

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #7654 on: May 16, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »
Here's one, and I apologize if it was asked before, but I didn't have time to wade through 500+ pages.
Some days when it's nice and I don't want to run the A/C (central), I'll just open the windows. We have a two story house, with windows on all sides and a front and back door that are pretty much opposite each other on the main floor. Mr. Floorwax insists that we should keep one or both of the doors shut and open the windows upstairs and the heat will go up and out like a chimney. I say we open everything and get as much air moving as possible.Thoughts?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7655 on: May 16, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
lemonfloorwax wrote:

"Mr. Floorwax insists that we should keep one or both of the doors shut and open the windows upstairs and the heat will go up and out like a chimney. I say we open everything and get as much air moving as possible.Thoughts?"

Unless your house is specially designed to form such an airflow pattern, doing this won't be anywhere near as efficient as opening every hole in the walls that you can for maximum air exchange.

Virg

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7656 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:15 PM »
Mr. Floorwax insists that we should keep one or both of the doors shut and open the windows upstairs and the heat will go up and out like a chimney. I say we open everything and get as much air moving as possible.Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure most houses aren't built that way. Definitely open up everything and get the air circulating, it really does help! If you have ceiling fans, you might also want to turn them on low to help get things moving.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7657 on: May 16, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
Mr. Floorwax insists that we should keep one or both of the doors shut and open the windows upstairs and the heat will go up and out like a chimney. I say we open everything and get as much air moving as possible.Thoughts?

It depends on what kind of air is moving. If it's really hot outside, you'll just get hot air blowing through the house.

I open all the windows in the evening to get the fresh cool night air, then in the morning I close everything up (drapes, too.) When I get home from work, inside the house is noticeably cooler than outside.

If I don't close up the house in the morning, inside the house gets to be the same temperature as outside, even warmer. Even with ceiling fans and a breeze.

I'm not sure about a 2 story home, though, but it sounds to me that Mr. Floorwax is on the right track (all my homes have been ranch-style.)

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7658 on: May 16, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »
Here's one, and I apologize if it was asked before, but I didn't have time to wade through 500+ pages.
Some days when it's nice and I don't want to run the A/C (central), I'll just open the windows. We have a two story house, with windows on all sides and a front and back door that are pretty much opposite each other on the main floor. Mr. Floorwax insists that we should keep one or both of the doors shut and open the windows upstairs and the heat will go up and out like a chimney. I say we open everything and get as much air moving as possible.Thoughts?

Is he saying to keep the bottom floor completely closed up and open all the windows upstairs? Also, you say the weather is nice, so I take it you want cooler air to flow in from outside?

Mr. Floorwax's fundamental idea of wanting the heat to flow up and out is good. However, I don't think he's thought his analogy through. A chimney has two openings: one at the bottom where air flows in and one at the top where the air is expelled to the outside. If you close up the opening at the bottom, then the only way for the hot air to rise to the top to have recirculation--cooler air would have to flow down the chimney to replace the hot air which is rising up the chimney, so you'd have flow in both directions. Not very efficient. For your house, it's the same principle: if you open the doors/windows at the bottom, then there is a path for cool air to replace the hot air rising through the house. The airflow is going to be a lot more complicated than for the chimney, but in theory you could get a continuous airflow coming in the bottom level of the house and out the top. If you close up the lower level, then you might get a breeze through the upper story, but will only cool the lower level through less efficient recirculation.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7659 on: May 17, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »
jpcher wrote:

"It depends on what kind of air is moving. If it's really hot outside, you'll just get hot air blowing through the house."

Since both of them are discussing opening windows and doors I presume that the air outside is cooler than inside, since either case would be useless if the air outside is hotter.

Onyx_TKD wrote:

"Mr. Floorwax's fundamental idea of wanting the heat to flow up and out is good."

This only works when there's an enormous temperature differential (like a chimney where the temperature gradient is hundreds of degrees), or if the house is specifically designed for it.  Most houses don't have a design built around air exchange among floors, so opening the top floor and a single door on the bottom floor will just cause the top floor to cool while the bottom floor stays the same.  Opening all of the windows on both floors means that each floor will cool due to air exchange to the outside.

Virg

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #7660 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
Thank you all! I'm just going to continue leaving the doors and windows all open and remember to close the front door before Mr. Floorwax comes home.  ;) I love the man, and he's very intelligent, but this is just one of those things where we do not and will not see eye to eye. Thank goodness it's almost A/C season!

that_one_girl

« Reply #7661 on: May 18, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »
new stupid question ...
I usually have owned dark cars, but I recently got a light colored one.  I seem to notice a lot of wasps buzzing around my new car.  Why?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7662 on: May 21, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
that_one_girl wrote:

"I usually have owned dark cars, but I recently got a light colored one.  I seem to notice a lot of wasps buzzing around my new car.  Why?"

Because it's a Honda.

Virg

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7663 on: May 21, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
^I am not getting it. Help!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7664 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
This is an old reference to a cartoon that I don't even recall the name of any more.  One of the characters would ask questions that seemed to make little sense, and another would answer with technically correct but entirely irrelevant facts in an attempt to seem erudite.  So when she asked why there might be a reason why a light colored car would draw wasps, it seemed like a good setup.

Virg