Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1016830 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7680 on: May 22, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »
But how?  If you can't walk more than X steps, and can't start the car because that's the equivalent to 'starting a fire', how do you get there?  Is it OK to take a cab or bus, because then some gentile is 'starting a fire'?
That  is a good question and kind of what I was thinking too.  There also was a part about not taking things from private to public domains unless it doesn't leave your person, at least that is how I read that, so to me that would mean you couldn't leave your towel/bag on the beach either.  It is very interesting and seems very complicated to follow 100%, it would be hard to analyze all the small details to ensure compliance.

It's complicated, in part because the definitions of public and private domain aren't obvious. There are ways that people define large areas as within those domains--large areas meaning entire neighborhoods. (Google "eruv" for more information.)

I've had observant friends arrange to go out for dinner in a group (if people were going anyhow), and arranged for someone to pay their share of the bill and get the money back after sundown Saturday, so the observant person wasn't carrying money on the Sabbath.

From another angle: a disabled friend of my mother's has special permission from her rabbi to take a taxi to synagogue for Sabbath services, because she and the rabbi both think that going to services is more important than not riding in a car on the Sabbath. This is pre-arranged with the cab company (I think she has given them a credit card number) so carrying money isn't an issue.

Part of the complication is that along with broad patterns, there are endless variations in how people practice.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7681 on: May 24, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
I know there isn't really an answer to this question; it is just more of an observation:

Why do children and pets think we can't go to the bathroom by ourselves?

My one cat will always come in as soon as I sit down, unless I close the door tightly.  Over the weekend, my neighbour had some company over and they were sitting in the backyard while I was gardening.  One of the mom's went in to use the washroom.  Her young son stayed outside but then went over to the window and started talking to his mom.  There were 2 other adults and 2 other children out there!  I stated the above to her when she came back out and she laughed and said she hadn't been to the bathroom by herself in over 6 years.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7682 on: May 24, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »
I know there isn't really an answer to this question; it is just more of an observation:

Why do children and pets think we can't go to the bathroom by ourselves?

My one cat will always come in as soon as I sit down, unless I close the door tightly.  Over the weekend, my neighbour had some company over and they were sitting in the backyard while I was gardening.  One of the mom's went in to use the washroom.  Her young son stayed outside but then went over to the window and started talking to his mom.  There were 2 other adults and 2 other children out there!  I stated the above to her when she came back out and she laughed and said she hadn't been to the bathroom by herself in over 6 years.

Cats often seem to want attention when you're busy with other things and spurn attention when you're ready to devote your full attention to cat-snuggling. When you're in the bathroom, not only is your attention on other things, but you're stuck in one place until your "business" is finished, providing a good opportunity for them to demand petting/attention without you walking away or kicking them out. I never had a problem with my cats invading the bathroom, probably since I generally had the door closed anyway. However, my male cat loved to cuddle up to us when we were playing the piano. Similar principle--the human is occupied with other things and has to sit right here in this particular place to finish them, creating a captive audience for kitty-snuggles.

BTW, in case you ever wondered, it's rather difficult to play the piano with a kitty affectionately headbutting one in the armpits, especially if said armpits are ticklish.  ;) Playing the piano with a warm kitty lying on the bench against one's rear is OTOH quite pleasant.

SiotehCat

« Reply #7683 on: May 24, 2013, 08:49:21 PM »
I wasn't sure where to ask this. It was between this thread and Topics that dont deserve a whole thread.

I am trying to offer a box of childrens books on freecycle. Some of them are scary(ish), think Goosebumps. Some of them are funny. I bought them for DS when he was much younger, but they are for a variety of reading levels.

I don't want to offer the box, because people could probably get more use out of them by picking which kind they want. I want to list each title individually and ask each person to pick X number of books.

How do I offer this? Should I make separate offers or can I put all this in one offer?

btperson

« Reply #7684 on: May 24, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »
When you wash your hair, I do know you don't really HAVE to "lather, rinse, REPEAT", just once is usually fine unless you feel your hair is especially oily or dirty.    But when you add conditioner and rinse it out....then when you dry it with a towel, do you NEED to dry it gently, so you don't RUB the conditioner off?

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7685 on: May 24, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »
I'm never gentle after conditioning. You're supposed to leave it on your hair for about five minutes before you rinse off - by then whatever's going to do its work on your hair has soaked into the hair shaft. (I'll admit I sometimes rinse it off right away too, but honestly I don't notice much difference!) I don't think you'd be able to rub it off when it's soaked in!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7686 on: May 24, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »
I wasn't sure where to ask this. It was between this thread and Topics that dont deserve a whole thread.

I am trying to offer a box of childrens books on freecycle. Some of them are scary(ish), think Goosebumps. Some of them are funny. I bought them for DS when he was much younger, but they are for a variety of reading levels.

I don't want to offer the box, because people could probably get more use out of them by picking which kind they want. I want to list each title individually and ask each person to pick X number of books.

How do I offer this? Should I make separate offers or can I put all this in one offer?

What I do is to offer the whole thing and say in the listing that it's for a variety of books and I will give priority to someone who would be willing to take the ones they want and re-list the rest.  That helps you avoid having to schedule multiple overlapping pick-up times and figuring out which people to pick based on what they asked for.

Elisabunny

« Reply #7687 on: May 25, 2013, 02:26:47 PM »
Has anyone here ever bought a used Kindle off E-bay or the like?  My Kindle Keyboard has died, but I can't replace it from Amazon because they are not currently making them.  So I am looking at EBay, but I wonder if it would be a problem to add the new-to-me one to my account.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7688 on: May 25, 2013, 07:31:54 PM »
Has anyone here ever bought a used Kindle off E-bay or the like?  My Kindle Keyboard has died, but I can't replace it from Amazon because they are not currently making them.  So I am looking at EBay, but I wonder if it would be a problem to add the new-to-me one to my account.

I have a nook and assume it would be kind of a similar process.  When I got my new one, I factory reset it and then set it up with my info.  It took about 5 extra minutes.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7689 on: May 25, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
When you wash your hair, I do know you don't really HAVE to "lather, rinse, REPEAT", just once is usually fine unless you feel your hair is especially oily or dirty.    But when you add conditioner and rinse it out....then when you dry it with a towel, do you NEED to dry it gently, so you don't RUB the conditioner off?

The conditioner aspect isn't an issue, like Liliane said.  But it does depend on your hair type.  I have curly hair.  Rubbing it vigorously is the worst thing I can do for it.  It'll be a complete rat's nest.  For me, the best thing to do is just wrap it in a towel and leave the towel on for a bit.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Redsoil

« Reply #7690 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
Elisabunny, contact Amazon through the chat function on your account page and discuss the Kindle problem with them.  I had my Kindle keyboard replaced earlier this year becuase of a fault, and the service was excellent!  Worth checking with them first.  They really do try and do everything possible to ensure customer satisfaction - I highly recommend their after-sales service (and I'm in Australia, so it wasn't just an easy fix for them). 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Redsoil

« Reply #7691 on: May 26, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »
Oh, and in case you're wondering, I didn't actually buy the original Kindle from Amazon temselves, but through a local Australian retailer.  This made no difference to them, and they really went above and beyond to assist me.  I'm a loyal customer for life after their service.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7692 on: May 26, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
Is the graphic file type .gif pronounced:

Gif -- as in gift?

or

Jif -- as in jiffy?

I'm constantly being corrected by the younger artists when I say "Jif". They say "Oh, you mean a "Gif" file?"

I say "I've been using "Jif" files since you were in 5th grade. They still try to tell me that I'm wrong. ::)

Please tell me that I'm not wrong.

Ereine

« Reply #7693 on: May 26, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »
I read something recently that said that their creator pronounces it "jif" (and is annoyed that there's disagreement over it) but according to Wikipedia other sources accept both pronunciations.

Pen^2

« Reply #7694 on: May 26, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »
Is the graphic file type .gif pronounced:

Gif -- as in gift?

or

Jif -- as in jiffy?

I'm constantly being corrected by the younger artists when I say "Jif". They say "Oh, you mean a "Gif" file?"

I say "I've been using "Jif" files since you were in 5th grade. They still try to tell me that I'm wrong. ::)

Please tell me that I'm not wrong.

Erm, sorry, it's a hard 'g'. It's an acronym for "graphics interchange format." The rule with 'g's in acronyms is that they are hard if they were hard in the original word they started, which is the case here. They are soft only when they were soft in their original word and they are directly followed by an 'e', 'i', or 'y' in the acronym.

The creator wanted it to be said 'jif' to sound like some other brand at the time. But unfortunately, he doesn't get to redefine English pronunciation rules. And the hard 'g' pronunciation is almost universal now anyway.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:31:42 PM by Pen^2 »