Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 846397 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7755 on: June 09, 2013, 11:39:31 PM »
The scary thing is that while counterfeit medicines are a real risk, getting the actual brand-name ones isn't always safer. At this point I am buying only generic ibuprofen, because of a series of recalls on the brand-name products.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #7756 on: June 10, 2013, 04:42:20 PM »
I'm thinking of making a craft table for myself by putting a piece of MDF (or wood) on top of some short shelving units.  Can I go to the Home Depot and ask for a piece of MDF (or wood) to be cut to a certain size?

And would wood be easier to work with than MDF?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:43:54 PM by Sheila Take a Bow »

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #7757 on: June 10, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »
I'm thinking of making a craft table for myself by putting a piece of MDF on top of some short shelving units.  Can I go to the Home Depot and ask for a piece of MDF to be cut to a certain size?

Yes. They may have you buy the whole sheet, but they can cut it there in the store. I have done that several times when I don't have access to a table saw.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7758 on: June 10, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »
I'm thinking of making a craft table for myself by putting a piece of MDF (or wood) on top of some short shelving units.  Can I go to the Home Depot and ask for a piece of MDF (or wood) to be cut to a certain size?

Absolutely. Just come prepared with your measurements ready (such as written down). IME the first cut is free and each additional cut is a nominal fee (no more then a $1). You can take all your scrap with you, or you can chuck in the scrap bin.

The scrap bin is a great place to check when you are building a shelf or something and aren't too picky on the size - any approximate will do. The scraps are already cut and significantly cheaper then a whole board.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7759 on: June 10, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
I've bought the folding table legs before and attached them to a 1/4 or 1/2 sheet of plywood, good side up, of course.  You can buy 1/4 or 1/2 sheets already cut for less than the cost of a whole sheet.  But if you want more than one table, it would be cheaper to buy the whole sheet and have it cut, of cours.

I just painted the plywood before I attached the legs.  Using the folding legs has the added benefit of being able to get the table out of the way, if needed, or using ir for something else temporarily.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7760 on: June 10, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
When I was in HS Dad made me a study table. He bought a flat door (no panels) and 4 legs. He embeded threaded bolts in the top of the legs and there were fittings on the back of the door to screw the legs in.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elisabunny

« Reply #7761 on: June 10, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
Can I freeze this type of cookies? Or keep them in a container for a week? I need them the next Sunday but it would save me a lot of time if I could bake them tomorrow.
Are they supposed to be soft, chewy, or crisp?  Soft/chewy cookies are best in the freezer.  Crisp cookies tend to dry out.

They're pretty crisp. I think that I'll just make them next week, it seems easiest. They're very delicious, or at least were the one time I've tried them.

What might work would be to make the dough, portion it out, then freeze the dough blobs.   Defrost and bake them later.

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7762 on: June 11, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »

My stupid question -- what is MDF?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7763 on: June 11, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »

MDF is a manufactured wood - made from wood byproducts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

I would say it'd be much easier to work with - it's heavy, but dense, strong, and more easily paintable and stainable than inexpensive plywood would be. Also, fewer splinters and less surface texture.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7764 on: June 11, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »

MDF is a manufactured wood - made from wood byproducts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

I would say it'd be much easier to work with - it's heavy, but dense, strong, and more easily paintable and stainable than inexpensive plywood would be. Also, fewer splinters and less surface texture.

OH! Like particle board . . . but MDF seems to be a higher quality.

Am I correct in assuming (quality-wise):

Top -- MDF
Med -- Particle Board
Low -- Plywood

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7765 on: June 11, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »
We use MDF for any application where it won't get wet. DH saves leftover materials to make cat furniture with!  :)

magicdomino

« Reply #7766 on: June 11, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »

OH! Like particle board . . . but MDF seems to be a higher quality.

Am I correct in assuming (quality-wise):

Top -- MDF
Med -- Particle Board
Low -- Plywood

I'd put particle board at the bottom.  It is very heavy with little structural strength.  I had a dining table made out of particle board, and the screws pulled out when I tried to move it across the carpet.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7767 on: June 11, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »
Its so hard to say between MDF and plywood as really there are differing thicknesses and quality to plywood. You can have a very good, several-ply plywood or a cheap thin plywood. I would think particle board is always the lowest though.

magicdomino

« Reply #7768 on: June 11, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
Its so hard to say between MDF and plywood as really there are differing thicknesses and quality to plywood. You can have a very good, several-ply plywood or a cheap thin plywood. I would think particle board is always the lowest though.

There is also a difference between construction grade and furniture grade plywood.  Construction grade has rough surfaces; furniture grade has a smooth surface on one side.  Lumber yards sell furniture grade plywood in different kinds of fine hardwood, as well as exterior grade cedar for paneling an outside wall.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #7769 on: June 11, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »
I'd put particle board at the bottom.  It is very heavy with little structural strength.  I had a dining table made out of particle board, and the screws pulled out when I tried to move it across the carpet.

We call it "fall apart-icle board".  Hate that stuff.