Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1054303 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7770 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »
All the talk of making tables reminds me, how do you get into making things? This seems like a really dumb question, but I am interested and don't even know where to start. It seems like all the fun and easy ideas I find require expensive equipment we don't have yet. I'd like to invest in some basic tools and learn more about just making/fixing stuff in general. I think it sounds really fun to buy furniture used and work on it and make it into something different or prettier. I took a couple years of shop class in middle school and seemed to have a knack for it, but I've forgotten nearly everything. I'm planning on buying the tools used. Suggestions on where to start?

Pawnshops are great places for used tools.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7771 on: June 11, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »
I buy myself (and the house) a new tool a month. Only once or twice a year does that exceed $20. I knew I had a volunteer work day coming up in March, so I bought a 18V Makita cordless drill for $100. I love it, and we use it for many things. Taking the ceiling fan blades off for cleaning, putting together furniture, etc. I have a nice hammer, a level, a tape measure, a set of screwdrivers and wrenches. You can get a decent assortment of fasteners (screws, nails, washers, etc) for $10 or so at a decent home improvement store. Also, get a decent tool bag or box to keep it all in. I keep my tools in the laundry closet.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7772 on: June 11, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »
How long should it take a contractor to get back to you?  I met with the contractor on May 30th.  I called him yesterday and left a message to see with what he had come up.  I didn't think it was too soon but it will be 2 weeks on Thursday and I don't know if it has been too long or I'm too early.  He will be putting up a fence, by the way, and we already have all of the materials.  Am I too soon or is he taking too long?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7773 on: June 11, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
I know there isn't really an answer to this question; it is just more of an observation:

Why do children and pets think we can't go to the bathroom by ourselves?

My one cat will always come in as soon as I sit down, unless I close the door tightly.  Over the weekend, my neighbour had some company over and they were sitting in the backyard while I was gardening.  One of the mom's went in to use the washroom.  Her young son stayed outside but then went over to the window and started talking to his mom.  There were 2 other adults and 2 other children out there!  I stated the above to her when she came back out and she laughed and said she hadn't been to the bathroom by herself in over 6 years.

I didn't shut the bathroom door tightly for 17 years. Then we had a 3-year gap between cats. It took me a while to learn how to close the door; now I have to remember to leave it ajar.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7774 on: June 11, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
All the talk of making tables reminds me, how do you get into making things? This seems like a really dumb question, but I am interested and don't even know where to start. It seems like all the fun and easy ideas I find require expensive equipment we don't have yet. I'd like to invest in some basic tools and learn more about just making/fixing stuff in general. I think it sounds really fun to buy furniture used and work on it and make it into something different or prettier. I took a couple years of shop class in middle school and seemed to have a knack for it, but I've forgotten nearly everything. I'm planning on buying the tools used. Suggestions on where to start?

A little late chiming in, but check out the Kreg company, and their jigs. They have jigs you can use to help your circular saw or jigsaw act more like a table saw.

NyaChan

« Reply #7775 on: June 11, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
How long should it take a contractor to get back to you?  I met with the contractor on May 30th.  I called him yesterday and left a message to see with what he had come up.  I didn't think it was too soon but it will be 2 weeks on Thursday and I don't know if it has been too long or I'm too early.  He will be putting up a fence, by the way, and we already have all of the materials.  Am I too soon or is he taking too long?

Unless it is a complicated project or he is supposed to draw diagrams for you, I can't think of why it would take this long.  I take it he didn't give any indicator of when you might hear from him?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7776 on: June 11, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »
I'm thinking of making a craft table for myself by putting a piece of MDF (or wood) on top of some short shelving units.  Can I go to the Home Depot and ask for a piece of MDF (or wood) to be cut to a certain size?

And would wood be easier to work with than MDF?

I built our hobby table out of composite board with a melamine surface. Bought a 4x12 piece from Home Depot and had them cut it in the store (cut a 1' strip the long way and used it as a back splash for the table.) Four pieces of 4x4 for legs and it works great.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Redsoil

« Reply #7777 on: June 12, 2013, 08:46:41 AM »
MrsJWine - it may be useful to have a look at youtube for instructional videos on making things.  There are youtube videos on just about anything!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Pen^2

« Reply #7778 on: June 12, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »

instructables instructables instructables

Serious, it's awesome. Just spend five minutes and you'll know what I mean. But I warn you, it can be a bit like Wikipedia: you tend to go off on all kinds of weird tangents when looking stuff up, and end up making a dolls' house, eighteen solar panels, and a vortex cannon instead of the originally-intended cushion cover.

Redsoil

« Reply #7779 on: June 12, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
Oooh!  I want a vortex cannon!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Pen^2

« Reply #7780 on: June 12, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paper-Cup-Air-Cannon/ just the first result that came up--a nice easy one, too. Works well in a fog or through smoke (eg. a camp fire) because you can actually see the vortex as it travels through the air. Shoot and destroy towers of paper cups and cards and make the world cower before your might!

Works basically like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2w8thjS9kI

Xandraea

« Reply #7781 on: June 12, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paper-Cup-Air-Cannon/ just the first result that came up--a nice easy one, too. Works well in a fog or through smoke (eg. a camp fire) because you can actually see the vortex as it travels through the air. Shoot and destroy towers of paper cups and cards and make the world cower before your might!

Works basically like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2w8thjS9kI

That clip had us in stitches over here!  Thanks for sharing. (Now I want a vortex cannon too!)

Carotte

« Reply #7782 on: June 12, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
Hair and disposable tissue paper are not to be disposed in the toilets right?
My SO always ask me why don't I throw the hair from my brush into the toilet, or the paper tissues, and I'm always telling him that's quite a stupid thing to do (I'm not a 100% sure about it but hey, you never know right).

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7783 on: June 12, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
Hair in the toilet? Eek! :o As for tissues, some are flushable, some aren't - I wouldn't flush them myself, personally.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7784 on: June 12, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »
Hair and tissues in the toilet is just asking for trouble.  A sink drain clog is bad enough.  A toilet drain clog?  *shudder*

I'm lucky; where I live, we have a green bin program that collects organic waste and both hair and tissues can go in it.  It's great - it takes stuff I can't through in my own composter.  Dairy, meat and bones, fats, muffin papers, even paper plates.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario