Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 842737 times)

Pen^2

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7785 on: June 12, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »
Oooh!  I want a vortex cannon!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paper-Cup-Air-Cannon/ just the first result that came up--a nice easy one, too. Works well in a fog or through smoke (eg. a camp fire) because you can actually see the vortex as it travels through the air. Shoot and destroy towers of paper cups and cards and make the world cower before your might!

Works basically like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2w8thjS9kI

Xandraea

« Reply #7786 on: June 12, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »
Oooh!  I want a vortex cannon!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paper-Cup-Air-Cannon/ just the first result that came up--a nice easy one, too. Works well in a fog or through smoke (eg. a camp fire) because you can actually see the vortex as it travels through the air. Shoot and destroy towers of paper cups and cards and make the world cower before your might!

Works basically like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2w8thjS9kI

That clip had us in stitches over here!  Thanks for sharing. (Now I want a vortex cannon too!)

Carotte

« Reply #7787 on: June 12, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
Hair and disposable tissue paper are not to be disposed in the toilets right?
My SO always ask me why don't I throw the hair from my brush into the toilet, or the paper tissues, and I'm always telling him that's quite a stupid thing to do (I'm not a 100% sure about it but hey, you never know right).

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7788 on: June 12, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
Hair in the toilet? Eek! :o As for tissues, some are flushable, some aren't - I wouldn't flush them myself, personally.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7789 on: June 12, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »
Hair and tissues in the toilet is just asking for trouble.  A sink drain clog is bad enough.  A toilet drain clog?  *shudder*

I'm lucky; where I live, we have a green bin program that collects organic waste and both hair and tissues can go in it.  It's great - it takes stuff I can't through in my own composter.  Dairy, meat and bones, fats, muffin papers, even paper plates.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Pen^2

« Reply #7790 on: June 12, 2013, 02:17:24 PM »
My SO always ask me why don't I throw the hair from my brush into the toilet, or the paper tissues, and I'm always telling him that's quite a stupid thing to do (I'm not a 100% sure about it but hey, you never know right).

I was once chatting with a lovely lad who worked in the much-coveted job of human waste management. Apparently one of the biggest problems is hair. Most chemicals that will get rid of it (and stop it clogging all the stuff that deals with ...stuff) will wear down machinery quick smart. Everything that is done has "how to deal with hair" as the centre upon which it is built.

I now put hair from my brush on the garden. I imagine that in ten thousand years, when they are digging up our ruins, they'll name our epoch, as geologists and archaeologists are wont, after the thin layer of hair they find in the earth at our temporal level: the Trichocene.

magicdomino

« Reply #7791 on: June 12, 2013, 03:31:12 PM »
I've put both human and cat hair in the worm bins to compost.  Maybe it is because the cats' hair is finer and shorter than mine, but the human hair is still recognizable after 2 or 3 months.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7792 on: June 12, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »

Bandages and cotton swabs should go in the garbage as well, not the toilet.  ::)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7793 on: June 12, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
This is a bit of a crossover from another thread, but it isn't an argument or anything so i am guessing it is ok...

Do people really think diamonds are rare? I'm not really a diamond afficionado or anything; but it seems like they are everywhere. A little bit of Googling and "They aren't really rare" comes up under Things You Don't Know About Diamonds type articles. I have never met anyone who thinks they are ... not that they are a huge topic of conversation in my circles, either. Hence, the question.
Yeah, hence! :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7794 on: June 12, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
This is a bit of a crossover from another thread, but it isn't an argument or anything so i am guessing it is ok...

Do people really think diamonds are rare? I'm not really a diamond afficionado or anything; but it seems like they are everywhere. A little bit of Googling and "They aren't really rare" comes up under Things You Don't Know About Diamonds type articles. I have never met anyone who thinks they are ... not that they are a huge topic of conversation in my circles, either. Hence, the question.
Yeah, hence! :)

They're rare in the sense that they're not common "in the world".  However, DeBeers has truly gigantic quantities of them warehoused to drive up the price.  And then there's lab-grown stones...

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7795 on: June 12, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »
How long should it take a contractor to get back to you?  I met with the contractor on May 30th.  I called him yesterday and left a message to see with what he had come up.  I didn't think it was too soon but it will be 2 weeks on Thursday and I don't know if it has been too long or I'm too early.  He will be putting up a fence, by the way, and we already have all of the materials.  Am I too soon or is he taking too long?

Unless it is a complicated project or he is supposed to draw diagrams for you, I can't think of why it would take this long.  I take it he didn't give any indicator of when you might hear from him?

He did not and I'm not sure why I didn't ask.  The only complication would be removing some small trees/bushes.  It's a relatively straightforward square shaped fence.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Vall

« Reply #7796 on: June 12, 2013, 09:06:50 PM »
How long should it take a contractor to get back to you?  I met with the contractor on May 30th.  I called him yesterday and left a message to see with what he had come up.  I didn't think it was too soon but it will be 2 weeks on Thursday and I don't know if it has been too long or I'm too early.  He will be putting up a fence, by the way, and we already have all of the materials.  Am I too soon or is he taking too long?

Unless it is a complicated project or he is supposed to draw diagrams for you, I can't think of why it would take this long.  I take it he didn't give any indicator of when you might hear from him?

He did not and I'm not sure why I didn't ask.  The only complication would be removing some small trees/bushes.  It's a relatively straightforward square shaped fence.
If the contractor is this inefficient in simply getting back with you, how efficient will he be installing your fence?  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to get estimates from a few other contractors and drop this one.  Professionalism and customer service is very important to me and this contractor would have well exceeded my limits by now.  A fence can be a hassle to redo if it isn't done right and I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7797 on: June 12, 2013, 09:25:11 PM »

If the contractor is this inefficient in simply getting back with you, how efficient will he be installing your fence?  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to get estimates from a few other contractors and drop this one.  Professionalism and customer service is very important to me and this contractor would have well exceeded my limits by now.  A fence can be a hassle to redo if it isn't done right and I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Well that's why I came here.  If it's typical for a contractor to take 3 weeks, then I'm early and he hasn't done anything egregious.  If it shouldn't take more than a week, he's late and I will take the next step, ie finding another contractor. 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7798 on: June 12, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »
All the talk of making tables reminds me, how do you get into making things? This seems like a really dumb question, but I am interested and don't even know where to start. It seems like all the fun and easy ideas I find require expensive equipment we don't have yet. I'd like to invest in some basic tools and learn more about just making/fixing stuff in general. I think it sounds really fun to buy furniture used and work on it and make it into something different or prettier. I took a couple years of shop class in middle school and seemed to have a knack for it, but I've forgotten nearly everything. I'm planning on buying the tools used. Suggestions on where to start?

Check out www.ana-white.com. She drafts furniture plans inspired by a lot of really popular furniture styles (Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware are big ones), ranging from beginner projects to complex ones for experienced builders. You can search the plans by skill level or a few other categories.

I haven't ever attempted to build anything (from there or elsewhere), though. I agree with you that it sounds like fun, and I'd like to be more handy with household repairs and such than I am. The only real exposure that I've had to this type of thing, though, was helping my parents paint my bedroom when I was like 15, refinishing a dresser (that I kind of wish I'd done a better job on...), and building IKEA furniture. :)

But, since I live in a one-bedroom apartment with no storage room left (and nowhere to build or refinish things even if I had the tools), I'll have to save my desire to delve into building for the future.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7799 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »
I'm thinking of making a craft table for myself by putting a piece of MDF (or wood) on top of some short shelving units.  Can I go to the Home Depot and ask for a piece of MDF (or wood) to be cut to a certain size?

And would wood be easier to work with than MDF?

I built our hobby table out of composite board with a melamine surface. Bought a 4x12 piece from Home Depot and had them cut it in the store (cut a 1' strip the long way and used it as a back splash for the table.) Four pieces of 4x4 for legs and it works great.

You can get iron-on melamine edgebanding to cover the cut edges of the composite board. You can just use your household iron to put it on with.