Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 846643 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7800 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
All the talk of making tables reminds me, how do you get into making things? This seems like a really dumb question, but I am interested and don't even know where to start. It seems like all the fun and easy ideas I find require expensive equipment we don't have yet. I'd like to invest in some basic tools and learn more about just making/fixing stuff in general. I think it sounds really fun to buy furniture used and work on it and make it into something different or prettier. I took a couple years of shop class in middle school and seemed to have a knack for it, but I've forgotten nearly everything. I'm planning on buying the tools used. Suggestions on where to start?

Check out www.ana-white.com. She drafts furniture plans inspired by a lot of really popular furniture styles (Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware are big ones), ranging from beginner projects to complex ones for experienced builders. You can search the plans by skill level or a few other categories.

Ana White is a big fan of the Kreg pocket-hole jig. That's where I learned about it.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7801 on: June 12, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »
When people talk about losing clothing sizes ("I'm on Awesome WeightLoss Plan, and I lost 10 sizes!"), how do you count it? Is it just by the number, so going from a 12 to a 10 is 2 sizes? Or since clothes are pretty much all done in even numbers (in the US, at least, not sure about elsewhere), should you count it that way? Since I can't actually buy an 11 in most sizes, is going from a 12 to a 10 just one size? Just a random question that occurred to me lately. :)

Isometric

« Reply #7802 on: June 13, 2013, 12:01:21 AM »
When people talk about losing clothing sizes ("I'm on Awesome WeightLoss Plan, and I lost 10 sizes!"), how do you count it? Is it just by the number, so going from a 12 to a 10 is 2 sizes? Or since clothes are pretty much all done in even numbers (in the US, at least, not sure about elsewhere), should you count it that way? Since I can't actually buy an 11 in most sizes, is going from a 12 to a 10 just one size? Just a random question that occurred to me lately. :)

Ooh, I never thought of that! I have always assumed 12 to 10 was one size, but then some clothes do occasionally come in in between sizes!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7803 on: June 13, 2013, 12:31:39 AM »
Huh, that IS an interesting question...

Here's one related. Why do dress or shirt sizes usually come in even numbers (0, 2, 4, etc) but pants usually come in odd (1, 3, 5, etc)?
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

snowfire

« Reply #7804 on: June 13, 2013, 01:04:35 AM »
I would count it as one size.  The even sizes are Misses in the US and odd sizes are Juniors.  Totally different proportions.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7805 on: June 13, 2013, 01:25:02 AM »

It's easy - if you're going UP clothing sizes, count by whatever number comes out smallest.  If you're going DOWN, count by whatever number is largest.  So if you go from a 10 to a 14, you went "up" two sizes - but if you lose the weight again, you went down four  ;D

In related news, I now keep track of all my walks in kilometers instead of miles, because "I ran three kilometers today!" sounds a lot better than "I couldn't even make two miles before I quit."

Isometric

« Reply #7806 on: June 13, 2013, 01:38:48 AM »

It's easy - if you're going UP clothing sizes, count by whatever number comes out smallest.  If you're going DOWN, count by whatever number is largest.  So if you go from a 10 to a 14, you went "up" two sizes - but if you lose the weight again, you went down four  ;D

In related news, I now keep track of all my walks in kilometers instead of miles, because "I ran three kilometers today!" sounds a lot better than "I couldn't even make two miles before I quit."

Clearly, you're right!!  ;D

Haha, that's funny, because even though I live in a country with the metric system, I use pounds to track my weight loss (6.6 pounds sounds better than 3kg right!)

Iris

« Reply #7807 on: June 13, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »

I like the way you do your maths...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Pen^2

« Reply #7808 on: June 13, 2013, 06:02:20 AM »

This reminds me of a comedian I saw posing like people do on weight watchers ads, saying, "I used to weigh a staggering 150 pounds, but now I only weigh 68 kilograms, thanks to the metric system!"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7809 on: June 13, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »
I've noticed an interesting phenomenon that at first I thought was my imagination...

I've lost a considerable amount of weight, though I still have a lot to go to reach my goal.  What I've noticed is that people in general are being much, much nicer to me and a few people who have never been exactly friendly are being so much more friendly it's kind of weird.  I really thought I was imaging the whole thing until a friend asked me about a specific person's 180 behavior towards me.  I'm getting people who've I worked in the same building with for years, who've never even acknowledged my existence congratulating me on my progress.

Has anyone else experienced this? 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Redsoil

« Reply #7810 on: June 13, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »
Thanks for the links Pen^2!  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7811 on: June 13, 2013, 07:26:07 AM »
I've noticed an interesting phenomenon that at first I thought was my imagination...

I've lost a considerable amount of weight, though I still have a lot to go to reach my goal.  What I've noticed is that people in general are being much, much nicer to me and a few people who have never been exactly friendly are being so much more friendly it's kind of weird.  I really thought I was imaging the whole thing until a friend asked me about a specific person's 180 behavior towards me.  I'm getting people who've I worked in the same building with for years, who've never even acknowledged my existence congratulating me on my progress.

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss.

There are people who would never admit to being 'sizeist' but they are.  They may see your Progress as an indication that you have will-power. 

Oddly enough, I had the opposite experience.  A while back I dropped about 60 pounds and nobody noticed a thing. 

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7812 on: June 13, 2013, 08:05:46 AM »

There are people who would never admit to being 'sizeist' but they are.  They may see your Progress as an indication that you have will-power. 

Oddly enough, I had the opposite experience.  A while back I dropped about 60 pounds and nobody noticed a thing.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge them. Maybe nothing ever stood out about Dazi but now her hard work and determination are getting her noticed.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #7813 on: June 13, 2013, 08:16:22 AM »

I wouldn't be so quick to judge them. Maybe nothing ever stood out about Dazi but now her hard work and determination are getting her noticed.

That's exactly what Thipu said. Now that she's losing weight, she's suddenly seen as having willpower and being worthy of notice. I would bet she's always been hard-working and determined, but sizeist people don't give fat people credit for those traits. What her body looks like should have no bearing on how others perceive her personality/abilities.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7814 on: June 13, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »

I'm switching to SlartiMath! :) 

I'm getting reeeeeeeeally close to my weight loss goal, and I was wanting to do a kind of "before and after" picture with "I lost X pounds and Y sizes!", then realized I didn't know how to calculate it. I guess no one will notice however it is.