Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1122648 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7800 on: June 13, 2013, 01:25:02 AM »
When people talk about losing clothing sizes ("I'm on Awesome WeightLoss Plan, and I lost 10 sizes!"), how do you count it? Is it just by the number, so going from a 12 to a 10 is 2 sizes? Or since clothes are pretty much all done in even numbers (in the US, at least, not sure about elsewhere), should you count it that way? Since I can't actually buy an 11 in most sizes, is going from a 12 to a 10 just one size? Just a random question that occurred to me lately. :)

It's easy - if you're going UP clothing sizes, count by whatever number comes out smallest.  If you're going DOWN, count by whatever number is largest.  So if you go from a 10 to a 14, you went "up" two sizes - but if you lose the weight again, you went down four  ;D

In related news, I now keep track of all my walks in kilometers instead of miles, because "I ran three kilometers today!" sounds a lot better than "I couldn't even make two miles before I quit."

Isometric

« Reply #7801 on: June 13, 2013, 01:38:48 AM »
When people talk about losing clothing sizes ("I'm on Awesome WeightLoss Plan, and I lost 10 sizes!"), how do you count it? Is it just by the number, so going from a 12 to a 10 is 2 sizes? Or since clothes are pretty much all done in even numbers (in the US, at least, not sure about elsewhere), should you count it that way? Since I can't actually buy an 11 in most sizes, is going from a 12 to a 10 just one size? Just a random question that occurred to me lately. :)

It's easy - if you're going UP clothing sizes, count by whatever number comes out smallest.  If you're going DOWN, count by whatever number is largest.  So if you go from a 10 to a 14, you went "up" two sizes - but if you lose the weight again, you went down four  ;D

In related news, I now keep track of all my walks in kilometers instead of miles, because "I ran three kilometers today!" sounds a lot better than "I couldn't even make two miles before I quit."

Clearly, you're right!!  ;D

Haha, that's funny, because even though I live in a country with the metric system, I use pounds to track my weight loss (6.6 pounds sounds better than 3kg right!)

Iris

« Reply #7802 on: June 13, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »

I like the way you do your maths...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Pen^2

« Reply #7803 on: June 13, 2013, 06:02:20 AM »

This reminds me of a comedian I saw posing like people do on weight watchers ads, saying, "I used to weigh a staggering 150 pounds, but now I only weigh 68 kilograms, thanks to the metric system!"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7804 on: June 13, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »
I've noticed an interesting phenomenon that at first I thought was my imagination...

I've lost a considerable amount of weight, though I still have a lot to go to reach my goal.  What I've noticed is that people in general are being much, much nicer to me and a few people who have never been exactly friendly are being so much more friendly it's kind of weird.  I really thought I was imaging the whole thing until a friend asked me about a specific person's 180 behavior towards me.  I'm getting people who've I worked in the same building with for years, who've never even acknowledged my existence congratulating me on my progress.

Has anyone else experienced this? 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Redsoil

« Reply #7805 on: June 13, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »
Thanks for the links Pen^2!  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7806 on: June 13, 2013, 07:26:07 AM »
I've noticed an interesting phenomenon that at first I thought was my imagination...

I've lost a considerable amount of weight, though I still have a lot to go to reach my goal.  What I've noticed is that people in general are being much, much nicer to me and a few people who have never been exactly friendly are being so much more friendly it's kind of weird.  I really thought I was imaging the whole thing until a friend asked me about a specific person's 180 behavior towards me.  I'm getting people who've I worked in the same building with for years, who've never even acknowledged my existence congratulating me on my progress.

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss.

There are people who would never admit to being 'sizeist' but they are.  They may see your Progress as an indication that you have will-power. 

Oddly enough, I had the opposite experience.  A while back I dropped about 60 pounds and nobody noticed a thing. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7807 on: June 13, 2013, 08:05:46 AM »

There are people who would never admit to being 'sizeist' but they are.  They may see your Progress as an indication that you have will-power. 

Oddly enough, I had the opposite experience.  A while back I dropped about 60 pounds and nobody noticed a thing.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge them. Maybe nothing ever stood out about Dazi but now her hard work and determination are getting her noticed.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #7808 on: June 13, 2013, 08:16:22 AM »

I wouldn't be so quick to judge them. Maybe nothing ever stood out about Dazi but now her hard work and determination are getting her noticed.

That's exactly what Thipu said. Now that she's losing weight, she's suddenly seen as having willpower and being worthy of notice. I would bet she's always been hard-working and determined, but sizeist people don't give fat people credit for those traits. What her body looks like should have no bearing on how others perceive her personality/abilities.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7809 on: June 13, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »

I'm switching to SlartiMath! :) 

I'm getting reeeeeeeeally close to my weight loss goal, and I was wanting to do a kind of "before and after" picture with "I lost X pounds and Y sizes!", then realized I didn't know how to calculate it. I guess no one will notice however it is.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7810 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:23 AM »

I'm switching to SlartiMath! :) 

I'm getting reeeeeeeeally close to my weight loss goal, and I was wanting to do a kind of "before and after" picture with "I lost X pounds and Y sizes!", then realized I didn't know how to calculate it. I guess no one will notice however it is.

I think I have a serious answer to the question. I read someone went down 10 dress sizes, and let's, for argument's sake, saay she is a size 10 now. That would be going down from size 20 to 10 or size 30 to 10. Do they even make a size 30? The largest I have ever seen is a size 22, then 2X, 3X, 4X. I shudder to think that anyone went from a 22 to a 2 - just the excess skin would take up more than a size 2.

So, I have always assumed that it was numbers.  And I do wear a junior size (odd numbers) in some brands, even though I am very senior and round and the proportions should be off.

If I am wrong about 30 being a size, please let me know and throw my logic out the window and put down as "I don't know, either".

I love Slartimath, too!

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7811 on: June 13, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
Luci, yes there is a size 30. It would correspond to "4X", and tends not to be especially available. Regular sizes run through about a 16, plus sizes sometimes start with 14W or just go right into 18W and go through 24W, and "extended plus" is anything above 24W. Except for stores like Lane Bryant, sizes larger than a 24 are usually only available online.

The "W" designation refers to the cut of clothing. A 14W will usually have a little more room in the hips/bust without adding as much length in places like the arm or inseam (or as much width in the neck opening), when compared with a 14.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7812 on: June 13, 2013, 09:50:21 AM »
I'm thinking of making a craft table for myself by putting a piece of MDF (or wood) on top of some short shelving units.  Can I go to the Home Depot and ask for a piece of MDF (or wood) to be cut to a certain size?

And would wood be easier to work with than MDF?

I built our hobby table out of composite board with a melamine surface. Bought a 4x12 piece from Home Depot and had them cut it in the store (cut a 1' strip the long way and used it as a back splash for the table.) Four pieces of 4x4 for legs and it works great.

You can get iron-on melamine edgebanding to cover the cut edges of the composite board. You can just use your household iron to put it on with.

Thanks. I finished it by screwing a strip of 3/4"x3/4" pine to the front and side edges. We do lots of cutting and it's nice to have a softer spot to do that. I finished the backsplash with some 1/4 round molding. It has three swing-arm lamps and a power strip on top and one underneath. We use it for electronics projects, model building, painting, sculpture. It's not as solid as a real workbench, so for some heavy sawing tasks we have to use a work table we keep outside.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7813 on: June 13, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Luci, yes there is a size 30. It would correspond to "4X", and tends not to be especially available. Regular sizes run through about a 16, plus sizes sometimes start with 14W or just go right into 18W and go through 24W, and "extended plus" is anything above 24W. Except for stores like Lane Bryant, sizes larger than a 24 are usually only available online.

The "W" designation refers to the cut of clothing. A 14W will usually have a little more room in the hips/bust without adding as much length in places like the arm or inseam (or as much width in the neck opening), when compared with a 14.

Thanks. Please put me in the "I Don't Know" column.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7814 on: June 13, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
I remember my aunt buying 'W' clothing.  That meant that the dresses were cut with 'more room in the muscle and more room in the back'.  That equalled wider sleeves to accommodate fatter arms and fat on the upper back.   

Back then, people were a bit more circumspect about body shapes.  Still, clothes for fat boys were said to be 'Husky' while clothes for fat girls were said to be 'Chubettes'.