Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 982687 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7830 on: June 14, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »
That's kind of what I meant, too, as far as something else changing and that's what's being noticed (the grumpy person's attitude changing in my first example).  I'm glad this has otherwise been a positive experience for you, Dazi, and I wish you the best of luck!  I'm glad your friend was much better at phrasing it than I was, and he managed to compliment you to boot!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7831 on: June 15, 2013, 06:55:48 PM »
New Question -- Why are car dealers closed on Sundays?

I remember many, many, many years ago that a law was passed (in Illinois) that car dealers needed to be closed on Sundays. I remember the hoopla and the outrage . . . but I don't remember the reason.

Any help as to Why?

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7832 on: June 15, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »
Now you got me curious, so I looked it up!

Apparently it's because financial institutions are closed on Sundays. No way to process a loan or do a credit check.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Xandraea

« Reply #7833 on: June 16, 2013, 02:40:41 AM »

Apparently it's because financial institutions are closed on Sundays. No way to process a loan or do a credit check.

Whatever the reason, it makes Sunday a good day to go browsing car lots .. Often they're open but they can't sell you a car so there's a bit less pressure.

NyaChan

« Reply #7834 on: June 16, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »

Whatever the reason, it makes Sunday a good day to go browsing car lots .. Often they're open but they can't sell you a car so there's a bit less pressure.

Learned something new today  :) 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7835 on: June 16, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »

Learned something new today  :)

Yup, me too! That does make sense.

Thanks, Liliane, for your google-foogle! ;D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7836 on: June 16, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
When people talk about losing clothing sizes ("I'm on Awesome WeightLoss Plan, and I lost 10 sizes!"), how do you count it? Is it just by the number, so going from a 12 to a 10 is 2 sizes? Or since clothes are pretty much all done in even numbers (in the US, at least, not sure about elsewhere), should you count it that way? Since I can't actually buy an 11 in most sizes, is going from a 12 to a 10 just one size? Just a random question that occurred to me lately. :)

Ooh, I never thought of that! I have always assumed 12 to 10 was one size, but then some clothes do occasionally come in in between sizes!

In the U.S., in-between sizes are in a completely different department (juniors, and technically the proportions are supposed to be different--developing breasts, etc.--but it often doesn't make much difference) and are in odd numbers.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7837 on: June 16, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »
I'm thinking of making a craft table for myself by putting a piece of MDF (or wood) on top of some short shelving units.  Can I go to the Home Depot and ask for a piece of MDF (or wood) to be cut to a certain size?

And would wood be easier to work with than MDF?

I built our hobby table out of composite board with a melamine surface. Bought a 4x12 piece from Home Depot and had them cut it in the store (cut a 1' strip the long way and used it as a back splash for the table.) Four pieces of 4x4 for legs and it works great.

You can get iron-on melamine edgebanding to cover the cut edges of the composite board. You can just use your household iron to put it on with.

Thanks. I finished it by screwing a strip of 3/4"x3/4" pine to the front and side edges. We do lots of cutting and it's nice to have a softer spot to do that. I finished the backsplash with some 1/4 round molding. It has three swing-arm lamps and a power strip on top and one underneath. We use it for electronics projects, model building, painting, sculpture. It's not as solid as a real workbench, so for some heavy sawing tasks we have to use a work table we keep outside.

Using a strip of lumber as a finishing edge is also a great way to handle it--but the iron-on edgebanding is good to know about since it's pretty necessary if you're making shelves or something where there's an exposed cut edge that's flush w/ a finished edge (like at a corner).

I wish I had room for a workbench. When I'm rich, I'm going to have a sewing room that has an almond melamine surface.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7838 on: June 16, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
I am currently using a TV as a computer monitor.  I plugged in my headphone/mic set into the computer.  I can use the microphone just fine but the sound will only play through the TV.  The TV is plugged into the tower using an HDMI cable.  I am using Windows 8.  How can I get the sound to play through the headphones instead of the TV?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7839 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:38 AM »
What exactly is tahini?  I figured I like hummus enough to try to make my own, and I know the recipe calls for tahini, but I couldn't find any at the store because I don't even know whether I'm looking for a solid, liquid, powder, bottle, jar, can, box, or what.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7840 on: June 17, 2013, 01:29:35 AM »
What exactly is tahini?  I figured I like hummus enough to try to make my own, and I know the recipe calls for tahini, but I couldn't find any at the store because I don't even know whether I'm looking for a solid, liquid, powder, bottle, jar, can, box, or what.

Its sesame seed butter (like peanut butter or almond butter). In my experience its sold near the peanut butter. Its usually in a can or jar. If you do a google image search for tahini you can see several jars, so you know what you are looking for. Personally I like Joyva brand.

ETA: FYI, much like "natural" peanut butter, often it separates and needs to be well stirred the first time. If you keep it in the fridge after that, you won't have to stir as well the next time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:31:16 AM by WillyNilly »

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #7841 on: June 17, 2013, 03:42:59 AM »

Its sesame seed butter (like peanut butter or almond butter). In my experience its sold near the peanut butter. Its usually in a can or jar. If you do a google image search for tahini you can see several jars, so you know what you are looking for. Personally I like Joyva brand.

ETA: FYI, much like "natural" peanut butter, often it separates and needs to be well stirred the first time. If you keep it in the fridge after that, you won't have to stir as well the next time.

You might also find it in the international aisle. My grocery store keeps it there. I've also seen it at my local Target near the peanut butter.

Oh, and I second Joyva. That's the brand I use, too.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7842 on: June 17, 2013, 06:03:26 AM »

You might also find it in the international aisle. My grocery store keeps it there. I've also seen it at my local Target near the peanut butter.

Oh, and I second Joyva. That's the brand I use, too.

It's usually in the ethnic/international food section where I live.  I know plenty of people though that just use natural peanut butter as a substitution since it doesn't call for a whole lot of it anyway.  I third Joyva, though the smallest container you can get is 15oz I think.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #7843 on: June 17, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »
I am currently using a TV as a computer monitor.  I plugged in my headphone/mic set into the computer.  I can use the microphone just fine but the sound will only play through the TV.  The TV is plugged into the tower using an HDMI cable.  I am using Windows 8.  How can I get the sound to play through the headphones instead of the TV?

HDMI by default does audio and video (High Definition Media Input) but you can probably, in the sound settings, uncheck the Audio through HDMI. Husband (IT tech) recommends googling 'turn off HDMI audio in Windows 8' and you'll find screenshots of how to do that. (I use OSX and Husband mainly uses W7)
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7844 on: June 17, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »

HDMI by default does audio and video (High Definition Media Input) but you can probably, in the sound settings, uncheck the Audio through HDMI. Husband (IT tech) recommends googling 'turn off HDMI audio in Windows 8' and you'll find screenshots of how to do that. (I use OSX and Husband mainly uses W7)

Thank you!  I know what HDMI is but I didn't know you could turn off just the audio; I figured it was all integrated and that I would be out of luck in that department.  I shall give it a try.