Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1053168 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7950 on: July 11, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
Those noodle packets can make a lovely salad without lots of MSG and salt. 

We cook the noodles and let them cool. 

We grate carrots, celery and some left over chicken if we have it. 

We add a bit of sesame oil, soy and a dash of garlic chili paste. 

This makes a light but delicious summer lunch. 

that_one_girl

« Reply #7951 on: July 11, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
Those noodle packets can make a lovely salad without lots of MSG and salt. 

We cook the noodles and let them cool. 

We grate carrots, celery and some left over chicken if we have it. 

We add a bit of sesame oil, soy and a dash of garlic chili paste. 

This makes a light but delicious summer lunch.

that sounds delicious ... I throw the noodles in my salad un-cooked and the dressing softens them a little, and it is delicious.

Curious Cat

« Reply #7952 on: July 11, 2013, 11:31:25 PM »
guihong wrote:

"DD loves those packaged spicy soups from the Asian section of the store-you just microwave the noodles for 4 minutes, then stir in the seasoning.  What is that seasoning, and is there a way to buy it in bulk or make it myself?  She often likes to use two seasoning packets, and then we get extra noodle bags."

The problem you'll encounter is that most of the flavor packets that come in Asian noodles contain a lot of salt and MSG.  You can replicate that if you wish but it's not usually the healthiest choice.  For spice mix recipes, your best bet is a good cookbook or web site, or just experiment.

Virg

I believe the poster was looking for a recipe.

Here you go Gui. http://www.food.com/recipe/oriental-ramen-seasoning-copycat-198017

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7953 on: July 12, 2013, 08:21:54 AM »
guihong wrote:

"DD loves those packaged spicy soups from the Asian section of the store-you just microwave the noodles for 4 minutes, then stir in the seasoning.  What is that seasoning, and is there a way to buy it in bulk or make it myself?  She often likes to use two seasoning packets, and then we get extra noodle bags."

The problem you'll encounter is that most of the flavor packets that come in Asian noodles contain a lot of salt and MSG.  You can replicate that if you wish but it's not usually the healthiest choice.  For spice mix recipes, your best bet is a good cookbook or web site, or just experiment.

Virg

I believe the poster was looking for a recipe.

Here you go Gui. http://www.food.com/recipe/oriental-ramen-seasoning-copycat-198017
Curious, thank you! I was about to post that one, too.

OP, if you aren't scared of the MSG bogey-monster (it's never been proven to do anything horrible to non-sensitive people - only to those few that are allergic/sensitive, just like peanut butter or soy) you can get that extra punch by adding MSG to it - it's sold as "Accent" kitchen seasoning in the US (small red and white container). It is sold just as MSG in most of the rest of the world.

Pen^2

« Reply #7954 on: July 12, 2013, 08:45:23 AM »
<snipped>
OP, if you aren't scared of the MSG bogey-monster (it's never been proven to do anything horrible to non-sensitive people - only to those few that are allergic/sensitive, just like peanut butter or soy) you can get that extra punch by adding MSG to it - it's sold as "Accent" kitchen seasoning in the US (small red and white container). It is sold just as MSG in most of the rest of the world.

We have a packet of MSG in the pantry cupboard for this very reason. I'd marry the stuff if ******** was legal.

thedudeabides

« Reply #7955 on: July 12, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
guihong wrote:

Virg

C'mon, dude, answers like this are why we get accused of mansplaining things.The poster was looking for a recipe, not a lecture on the dish's relative healthiness.

http://munspage.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/oriental-ramen-seasoning-copycat/

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7956 on: July 12, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »
thedudeabides wrote:

"The poster was looking for a recipe, not a lecture on the dish's relative healthiness."

The poster asked if there was a way to buy it in bulk, so I didn't have to leap far to assume that "make it myself" meant that she'd also welcome instructions on making exactly the same stuff.  Given that, I suggested that the way to replicate the packets involves a lot of salt and MSG, and suggested that she should instead bust out her favorite book or food site and look for alternatives.  I didn't suggest any particular recipes because there are quite a few of them out there and I haven't tried them, so I can't really offer any specific recommendations, but my answer wasn't a lecture.

Virg

thedudeabides

« Reply #7957 on: July 12, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »
thedudeabides wrote:

"The poster was looking for a recipe, not a lecture on the dish's relative healthiness."

The poster asked if there was a way to buy it in bulk, so I didn't have to leap far to assume that "make it myself" meant that she'd also welcome instructions on making exactly the same stuff.  Given that, I suggested that the way to replicate the packets involves a lot of salt and MSG, and suggested that she should instead bust out her favorite book or food site and look for alternatives.  I didn't suggest any particular recipes because there are quite a few of them out there and I haven't tried them, so I can't really offer any specific recommendations, but my answer wasn't a lecture.

Virg

I guess I don't see anything helpful about not actually providing a poster with resources while acting as though she might be incapable of reading the ingredients in a recipe and deciding for herself whether it's worth trying. There are times when it's more helpful to say nothing than to treat someone like a child.

Curious Cat

« Reply #7958 on: July 12, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
thedudeabides wrote:

Virg

I guess I don't see anything helpful about not actually providing a poster with resources while acting as though she might be incapable of reading the ingredients in a recipe and deciding for herself whether it's worth trying. There are times when it's more helpful to say nothing than to treat someone like a child.

Thank you, that bothered me as well but I didn't know how to phrase it.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7959 on: July 12, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »
Let us not have this devolve into a quarrel, folks.  I'd rather not see this informative and entertaining thread closed.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7960 on: July 12, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
Virg -- for what it's worth, I saw absolutely nothing wrong, bothersome or even lecture-like with your post. I think that you gave a great answer . . . while you didn't post a recipe, your post about the MSG and salt was thought provoking.

I love the ramen spices. When gui posted, I was all ears(eyes ;)) looking for an answer to her question. I thank the posters that gave great alternative suggestions!

Due to Virg's enlightening post, I'll stop saving all the little packets that the DDs don't use and start looking at the healthier alternatives. (I don't usually read ingredients. I just know what tastes I like . . . to the point where I was adding the spice packets to gravies, because it tasted really good.)

Thanks, Virg, for the heads-up! ;D

(edited to change a sentence.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:44:19 PM by jpcher »

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7961 on: July 12, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
Actually, I didn't know about all the salt and MSG in those things, and that can't be that good for a teenage girl.  She's also prone to migraines, so I feel like a dolt giving her something known to sometimes cause headaches  ::).  I wasn't offended by Virg's post, especially as I know his style is often to explain things very technically.  It's cool and not patronizing :).

I bring good news: the recipe that Curious Cat linked works well and comes out much less expensive per soup serving than the bags.  Thanks!

that_one_girl

« Reply #7962 on: July 12, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
Actually, I didn't know about all the salt and MSG in those things, and that can't be that good for a teenage girl.  She's also prone to migraines, so I feel like a dolt giving her something known to sometimes cause headaches  ::).  I wasn't offended by Virg's post, especially as I know his style is often to explain things very technically.  It's cool and not patronizing :).

I bring good news: the recipe that Curious Cat linked works well and comes out much less expensive per soup serving than the bags.  Thanks!

Now that you mention it, I have had fewer headaches since I stopped using the packets that come with the ramen.

Girlie

« Reply #7963 on: July 13, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
Okay, here's a question - when you're looking at one of those packets of seasoning for chicken fajitas or tacos, and it says "add to chicken," what kind of chicken should I use? Canned chicken? The extra chicken off of a roaster? Should I just quick fry pieces of chicken? I've always wanted to make them, but I've avoided it (and stuck myself with the regular ground beef version) because I'm not sure what would work best.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7964 on: July 13, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »
Okay, here's a question - when you're looking at one of those packets of seasoning for chicken fajitas or tacos, and it says "add to chicken," what kind of chicken should I use? Canned chicken? The extra chicken off of a roaster? Should I just quick fry pieces of chicken? I've always wanted to make them, but I've avoided it (and stuck myself with the regular ground beef version) because I'm not sure what would work best.

I just cut some chicken breasts into strips and give them a quick saute in some olive oil, then follow package directions.  You can also shred the leftovers from a roasted chicken.  I don't recommend canned chicken...it ends up WAY to salty.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah