Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1123112 times)

Onyx_TKD

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7980 on: July 16, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I really appreciate the help on the chicken/seasoning mix issue. :)

I do have another, completely unrelated, question, however.  Where I'm from, central heating and air in a house is a given. In fact, it's FAR more uncommon to come across a home with a window unit than central air, and in my experience, it's usually because the central air unit in the home has quit working and the family cannot afford to replace it. I have never seen a radiator in real life, and I have never known anyone to not have central heat built into their home.
When I watch shows about buying houses in states outside of the south (I live near Atlanta, GA), I often see "central heat" on wish lists, or they don't take any notice of radiators, which would be a huge turn-off for me in buying a home. So... How common are central heating and air systems in other parts of the country?

Why would radiators be a huge turn-off to you? Do you expect them to be a poor source of heating or inefficient or what?

I don't know how common the different heating/AC types are generally. However, I lived in a ~1930 house in SC. The original part of the house was heated and cooled quite effectively by a single window AC unit and radiators (we had a second window unit that was only turned on in extremely hot weather). The much newer addition had an HVAC system. Other houses in our neighborhood of similar age were also heated by radiators (not sure about their AC systems). So there are definitely older homes in the south where that type of climate control are common, even if they are rare in new construction. Personally, I loved the radiators (as did our cats).

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7981 on: July 16, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »
I can't speak for Girlie, but I'm not a fan of radiators either (having lived in places with and without them).  They take up quite a bit of space, they require extra caution about what's around them so there's no risk of a fire, and they hurt when you back into them after taking a shower  :-[

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7982 on: July 16, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
I can't speak for Girlie, but I'm not a fan of radiators either (having lived in places with and without them).  They take up quite a bit of space, they require extra caution about what's around them so there's no risk of a fire, and they hurt when you back into them after taking a shower  :-[

I'll agree with the space comment.  My bed is about a foot and a half further from the wall than I'd like it because of a radiator.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7983 on: July 16, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
I hated having radiators. We had the kind that ran along the wall kind of low to the ground, like you see in schools and such. They weren't terribly efficient in our old house (warm air would just seep out the walls and windows instead of being pushed into the center of the rooms), and cleaning them was horrible. There was no way to take them apart all the way, so if you spilled anything on one, oh well. And we bought it after it had been thoroughly trashed by the previous occupants. If I had any idea all the little things that would go into getting that place clean, we would never have bought it. The radiators were about 75% of the effort that went into cleaning that house.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Girlie

« Reply #7984 on: July 16, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
I've never lived with them, but I just think they're awfully unattractive, and they take up more space than I'd like. 

And Liliane - have you tried putting fans right in front of the vents? It might help circulate the air better for you.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7985 on: July 16, 2013, 05:12:48 PM »
I hated having radiators. We had the kind that ran along the wall kind of low to the ground, like you see in schools and such. They weren't terribly efficient in our old house (warm air would just seep out the walls and windows instead of being pushed into the center of the rooms), and cleaning them was horrible. There was no way to take them apart all the way, so if you spilled anything on one, oh well. And we bought it after it had been thoroughly trashed by the previous occupants. If I had any idea all the little things that would go into getting that place clean, we would never have bought it. The radiators were about 75% of the effort that went into cleaning that house.

Yours came apart even slightly?  Ours are big block metal things, covered in what I believe to be lead paint.  They are hideous.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7986 on: July 16, 2013, 05:22:03 PM »
Girlie, yes, I've tried that. It really didn't seem to do much as I couldn't get the fan right up against the vent. I'm not kidding when I say the air dead-ends as soon as it comes out. I do have ceiling fans though, so that probably helps it circulate just a little and makes things less awful than they could be!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7987 on: July 16, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »

Yours came apart even slightly?  Ours are big block metal things, covered in what I believe to be lead paint.  They are hideous.

The flap that covered the heat-emitting part and moved up and down was removable. And that's it.

There was a lot of swearing during clean-up.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7988 on: July 16, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »
Liliane, it might be as simple as air loss through any gaps in the piping.  If there are any exposed heating ducts, get some metal tape (not duct tape - it actually isn't for ducts) and tape any joints or spots where screws enter the ducts off of the supporting banding.  Also, is there a cold air return in your area?  It is usually a much bigger grate, situated on a wall or sometimes in the floor and that allows for better air flow.  If there isn't one, that could be an issue, too.  I'm not sure what is involved in having one put in, though.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

oogyda

« Reply #7989 on: July 16, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »
I'm north of the border.  For me, it depends on where you live and how old your house is.

If you live in the country, your house may have an oil furnace or electric heat and hence, no central air (I don't think AC works with oil furnaces but I could be wrong).  If you have a propane furnace, I think you can get AC.  In the rural areas, there is no natural gas piping so it limits your options.

My suburban neighbourhood was built in the late 80's.  All the homes were originally built with electric baseboard heaters.  Only those of us whose homes have been converted to gas heat and had all the ducts installed will have central air, too.

My understanding is that the mass majority of homes now are built with a central heating system, where natural gas is available.

AC is available without natural gas or propane.  Electric units are quite effective, although perhaps not quite as energy efficient.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7990 on: July 16, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »
New question . . . Pads on furniture feet.

DD#1 moved a (free) couch into our hallway that she plans on moving into her new apartment.

My hallway has a slate flooring and I noticed a bit of a scratch on my floor from when the couch was dragged for a bit. Fortunately it's just a surface scratch and I was able to wash it off. No real damage, just a mark. But it gives me pause for thought.

The apartment DD#1 is moving into has wood flooring.

Any recommendations on how to pad the couch feet (and other furnishings) so that it doesn't damage the flooring in her apartment?

I thought of super-gluing felt to the bottom of all the furniture pieces, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Thoughts?

Thanks. ;D

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7991 on: July 16, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »
Outdoor Girl, the ducts themselves aren't exposed - I don't really see anything tape-able. I do have cold air returns in every room except the bathroom and kitchen though...which is weird. Those are the most temperate rooms.  :-\ I think I'll just have to chalk this up to serious weird...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #7992 on: July 16, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »
New question . . . Pads on furniture feet.

DD#1 moved a (free) couch into our hallway that she plans on moving into her new apartment.

My hallway has a slate flooring and I noticed a bit of a scratch on my floor from when the couch was dragged for a bit. Fortunately it's just a surface scratch and I was able to wash it off. No real damage, just a mark. But it gives me pause for thought.

The apartment DD#1 is moving into has wood flooring.

Any recommendations on how to pad the couch feet (and other furnishings) so that it doesn't damage the flooring in her apartment?

I thought of super-gluing felt to the bottom of all the furniture pieces, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Thoughts?

Thanks. ;D

There is felt for putting on the feet of furniture. Also, there are furniture "coasters" that you can put under the feet that can help keep furniture from moving around as well as protecting the floor.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7993 on: July 16, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
They actually sell precut felt pieces that are differently sized to fit onto the bottom of furniture, with the glue already on them.  I bought a bunch for my furniture when I redid my basement in laminate.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7994 on: July 16, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »
I'm north of the border.  For me, it depends on where you live and how old your house is.

If you live in the country, your house may have an oil furnace or electric heat and hence, no central air (I don't think AC works with oil furnaces but I could be wrong).  If you have a propane furnace, I think you can get AC.  In the rural areas, there is no natural gas piping so it limits your options.

My suburban neighbourhood was built in the late 80's.  All the homes were originally built with electric baseboard heaters.  Only those of us whose homes have been converted to gas heat and had all the ducts installed will have central air, too.

My understanding is that the mass majority of homes now are built with a central heating system, where natural gas is available.

AC is available without natural gas or propane.  Electric units are quite effective, although perhaps not quite as energy efficient.

Sure, but they aren't really 'central' air because the house doesn't have ducts.  Unless the house has ducts, it isn't considered 'central heating' or 'central air', AFAIK.
Ontario