Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 844940 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8010 on: July 17, 2013, 12:48:15 AM »
The issue you're having here is in seeing the furnace as the entire HVAC system, not just the heat generator.  In a system like yours, there are two units in the system.  One is the furnace, which makes heat, and the other is the A/C unit, which is a compression coil in the system and an external exchanger that sits outside.  As a side note, the exchanger doesn't cool the air (that's handled by the compression unit that's built into the system itself, inside the blower box), it gets rid of the heat that the compressor pulls out of the coils.  Both of those units share the blower and duct work.  So, the "furnace" doesn't come on when the A/C kicks in, the blower does, which blows the cold air around the ducts.  In the winter, the furnace does kick in to heat, and then the blower moves that heated air around the ducts.

Virg

Ah, alright. That does make more sense. Thank you for clarifying, Virg! I've never had experience with this kind of thing before. :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Coruscation

« Reply #8011 on: July 17, 2013, 01:37:15 AM »
In Australia, we have the Hansard, which is a record of parliament sittings. Is there something similar in the US and if so, what is it called?

The Congressional Record.

Thank you :)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8012 on: July 17, 2013, 07:10:51 AM »
A little more on heating/air conditioning.

Here in New England, there are a substantial number of homes built before a/c. And even after a/c was invented, there was a perception that it wasn't necessary here, because it only gets warm enough to need it a few months of the year.

Add to that the fact that most older homes here have steam or hot water heat, involving radiators, and no duct work for a/c. So adding a/c means running duct work, which means cutting holes in floors, ceilings and walls. Pre-1950s homes tend to have plaster walls instead of drywall and plaster is a little trickier to patch than drywall.

Plus, in order not to have ductwork running up and down the corners of rooms, the ducts tend to be hidden in closets. But older homes have much smaller closets (my 1900 house has a 38"x14" closet in my bedroom), and people don't want to give up valuable closet space for a/c. All in all, adding a/c to an older house is expensive--not just the cost of the a/c unit and ducts, but the work and repair work needed to get the ducts where they need to go. A window unit is a lot simpler.

As for radiators, I love them. The homes I've been in with forced hot air heat are simply not as warm or comfortable in the winter. As soon as the furnace shuts off, the room is cold. I heat my house to 62 degrees in the winter and I'm fine with a sweater. At Christmas, my brother, who has forced hot air heat, turns the thermostat up to 65 degrees, because we all complain about how cold his house is. We're still freezing, even with sweaters, long johns and throws.

The best are the old cast iron radiators. They give out such a comforting heat, and the radiator stays warm for quite a while after the furnace shuts off, so you don't get the heat/cold cycle that you do with forced air. But the baseboard hot water radiators are, I think, much more energy efficient, even though I don't like them because they make it more difficult to place furniture in a room.

Newer houses, say from the 1980s on, do tend to have central a/c. This usually means that they have forced air, and the heating/cooling systems share the same duct work.

It would be a rare New England house that doesn't have some sort of central heating installed. The ones I can think of are summer homes and they simply aren't used in the winter. And there are frugal folks who heat mostly with wood stoves, but most of them tend to have some sort of central heating as a back-up. Most of the older houses, even if they were built without central heating, have had it retrofitted at some point.

My house has oil heat, which is pretty common in New England. But the old coal cellar is still in the basement, from the days when there was a coal furnace that needed to be tended to a couple of times a day. The pipes are probably original to the house, but the furnace has been changed out a few times.

Central air on the other hand, is mostly in the newer houses.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:17:03 AM by camlan »
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Nikko-chan

« Reply #8013 on: July 17, 2013, 07:26:25 AM »
College Question:

As a bit of background: I went to CommunityCollege. When I signed up for CommunityCollege, I filled out an application, was told when classes started, and in fact, my acceptance letter came to my doorstep AFTER I had started classes! I am now trying to apply for BigCollege. I am assuming that bigger colleges have longer times to get in though they have said on their site they are taking applications for Summer and Fall 2013 Sems. and Spring 2014 Sems.

I am in a bit of a quandry here because in order to pay for school I need scholarships. All well and good, but should I apply for them even if I don't know if I am in or not? What happens if I get scholarships and I don't get in, what then?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #8014 on: July 17, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »
Girlie, yes, I've tried that. It really didn't seem to do much as I couldn't get the fan right up against the vent. I'm not kidding when I say the air dead-ends as soon as it comes out. I do have ceiling fans though, so that probably helps it circulate just a little and makes things less awful than they could be!
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/airflow-breeze-26-238482-3b-register-booster-fan/12874?redirect=y

Register booster fans. This one's for a floor register, but they make them for others. Cheap, easy, and will make things MUCH better.

No, I didn't move into a house with weirdly placed registers and have to figure this out. LOL

exitzero

« Reply #8015 on: July 17, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »
I hated having radiators. We had the kind that ran along the wall kind of low to the ground, like you see in schools and such. They weren't terribly efficient in our old house (warm air would just seep out the walls and windows instead of being pushed into the center of the rooms), and cleaning them was horrible. There was no way to take them apart all the way, so if you spilled anything on one, oh well. And we bought it after it had been thoroughly trashed by the previous occupants. If I had any idea all the little things that would go into getting that place clean, we would never have bought it. The radiators were about 75% of the effort that went into cleaning that house.

I grew up in a house with radiators, and one thing I miss is being able to put your towel on it before a shower...nice and toasty!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8016 on: July 17, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
College Question:

As a bit of background: I went to CommunityCollege. When I signed up for CommunityCollege, I filled out an application, was told when classes started, and in fact, my acceptance letter came to my doorstep AFTER I had started classes! I am now trying to apply for BigCollege. I am assuming that bigger colleges have longer times to get in though they have said on their site they are taking applications for Summer and Fall 2013 Sems. and Spring 2014 Sems.

I am in a bit of a quandry here because in order to pay for school I need scholarships. All well and good, but should I apply for them even if I don't know if I am in or not? What happens if I get scholarships and I don't get in, what then?

I'm sort of suprised any university would still be accepting applicaitons for the Fall 2013 semester.  My DD starts her freshman year this Fall. This was the process.

Late last summer, she selected the Universities she wanted to apply for.
One University which was her one of her favorites had "early acceptance" process so she submitted her application in August and received admittance in early September.
The other 2 universities she applied to had October deadline for accepting applications for "early admittance" but I believe the deadline to apply at all was sometime in the Spring. For one of those she received "early admittance" notification in December and the other one she had to wait until April to learn if she was accepted.

For all of the Universities she applied to, she submitted the financial aid application which was one form that was used to apply for any scholardships, grants, or loans. I think those were required to be submitted by January. (Actually in the State of Texas, for public universities you only have to submit it once and you list which public universities you are applying to.)

For the two universities where she was received early notification of admittance, she received information on financial aide she was being offered in the March time frame. For the other 2, she received that information in May around the time she received her acceptance letters. But she had already decided to attend the first one she was accepted at.

Once she chose her university, she notified them of her plans to attend. For the financial aid she was offered, she just had to log in and "accept" the aide offered.

So if you are wanting to apply for Spring 2014, I'd contact the schools and find out when they will start accepting applications for transfer students. I would expect it will be relatively soon.

Sorry if this was too detailed.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #8017 on: July 17, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
Not too detailed. I like detail. Detail is good, trust me! Thank you so much for your reply!

wheeitsme

« Reply #8018 on: July 17, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »
New question . . . Pads on furniture feet.

DD#1 moved a (free) couch into our hallway that she plans on moving into her new apartment.

My hallway has a slate flooring and I noticed a bit of a scratch on my floor from when the couch was dragged for a bit. Fortunately it's just a surface scratch and I was able to wash it off. No real damage, just a mark. But it gives me pause for thought.

The apartment DD#1 is moving into has wood flooring.

Any recommendations on how to pad the couch feet (and other furnishings) so that it doesn't damage the flooring in her apartment?

I thought of super-gluing felt to the bottom of all the furniture pieces, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Thoughts?

Thanks. ;D

There is felt for putting on the feet of furniture. Also, there are furniture "coasters" that you can put under the feet that can help keep furniture from moving around as well as protecting the floor.

This.  Just google "hardwood floor protectors"

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8019 on: July 17, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
One thing to note about applying to a school is that the application process for transfer students can be wildly different than the same process for incoming new students, so call the school(s) and find out the details.  As to scholarships, you should apply as soon as the scholarship board will allow, because if you get it and then don't get accepted into a school you can simply advise them and they'll shift the scholarship to the next person in line for it.  It's better to get that all lined up ASAP, and again a call to the school(s) will get you lots of information to help you apply.

Virg

cwm

« Reply #8020 on: July 17, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »
One thing to note about applying to a school is that the application process for transfer students can be wildly different than the same process for incoming new students, so call the school(s) and find out the details.  As to scholarships, you should apply as soon as the scholarship board will allow, because if you get it and then don't get accepted into a school you can simply advise them and they'll shift the scholarship to the next person in line for it.  It's better to get that all lined up ASAP, and again a call to the school(s) will get you lots of information to help you apply.

Virg

This exactly. I had to start applying for scholarships (music, had to audition for them) before I had my final list of colleges I wanted to apply to. I actually made my college decision partially based on the scholarships offered. And when I came back years later to my second choice and applied as a transfer student, the entire process was completely different.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8021 on: July 17, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/airflow-breeze-26-238482-3b-register-booster-fan/12874?redirect=y

Register booster fans. This one's for a floor register, but they make them for others. Cheap, easy, and will make things MUCH better.

No, I didn't move into a house with weirdly placed registers and have to figure this out. LOL

That's interesting, I've never heard of those! I might have to check them out - thank you Rebecca!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8022 on: July 17, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
College Question:

First, if you are in the US, complete the FAFSA online. It is a pre-requisite for most scholarships. You will not usually be eligible for scholarships until you have been admitted to big college, then the college you want to major in. If you want more information, send me a PM.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8023 on: July 17, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »
Transfer students had until July 12th to apply for fall admission. At this point, they can apply for spring, summer and fall admission for 2014. The biggest priority should be to get admission application, any and all transcripts, residency documents, etc in as quickly as possible.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8024 on: July 17, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
I hated having radiators. We had the kind that ran along the wall kind of low to the ground, like you see in schools and such. They weren't terribly efficient in our old house (warm air would just seep out the walls and windows instead of being pushed into the center of the rooms), and cleaning them was horrible. There was no way to take them apart all the way, so if you spilled anything on one, oh well. And we bought it after it had been thoroughly trashed by the previous occupants. If I had any idea all the little things that would go into getting that place clean, we would never have bought it. The radiators were about 75% of the effort that went into cleaning that house.

I grew up in a house with radiators, and one thing I miss is being able to put your towel on it before
 a shower...nice and toasty!

Putting a wet towel on a radiator was also a good thing.  Old radiators tended to dry out the air.  A bit of humidity from a wet towel could be very pleasant. An aunt always kept pans of water on her radiators during the winter.  That may have been part of the reason why her family had few colds.