Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1026477 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8040 on: July 23, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »
We use the odor block trash bags for food garbage. They make a difference for us. Anything truly stinky, like used cat litter or fish cleanings gets double bagged in grocery sized plastic bags first.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #8041 on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:40 PM »
Back when I lived in Texas, we tried the scented trash bags.  Then it just smelled like rotting trash and scented trash bags.  It was not a good combination.
They used to be pretty awful. The Glad ones, though, seem to be a really significant improvement. I've tried them all... like I said, ostomy trash is the worst smelling stuff EVER - even worse than cat littler or diapers.

Snooks

« Reply #8042 on: July 23, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
If a recipe calls for peanut butter can I replace it with regular butter?  I really hate nuts but the rest of the recipe looks good.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8043 on: July 23, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
If a recipe calls for peanut butter can I replace it with regular butter?  I really hate nuts but the rest of the recipe looks good.

I doubt it, very much. Dairy butter cooks very differently than peanut butter. One of the points of using peanut butter is the flavor but another is the consistency.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8044 on: July 23, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »
I don't think that will work very well.  Are there other nut butters you would like?  I'd be tempted to sub half butter, half other nut butter and see how it goes.  You might need to up the sugar a little bit, too, as regular peanut butter will have quite a bit of sugar but other nut butters probably won't.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8045 on: July 23, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »

Can you give a brief description of the recipe?  There are things you can sub, but regular dairy butter is probably not suitable.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

oogyda

« Reply #8046 on: July 23, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »
Back when I lived in Texas, we tried the scented trash bags.  Then it just smelled like rotting trash and scented trash bags.  It was not a good combination.
They used to be pretty awful. The Glad ones, though, seem to be a really significant improvement. I've tried them all... like I said, ostomy trash is the worst smelling stuff EVER - even worse than cat littler or diapers.

I'm not sure of the size of articles you're talking about, but have you ever considered using a diaper genie or maybe a cat litter genie?  Just a thought.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Snooks

« Reply #8047 on: July 23, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »

Can you give a brief description of the recipe?  There are things you can sub, but regular dairy butter is probably not suitable.

It's a cheesecake with 5oz of peanut butter in the mix (poured over a chocolate crumb and chopped up chocolate bars). I wish I liked nuts it would make life a lot easier but unfortunately they're one of those ingredients I can taste a mile off. I know...first world problem...

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8048 on: July 23, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »

It's a cheesecake with 5oz of peanut butter in the mix (poured over a chocolate crumb and chopped up chocolate bars). I wish I liked nuts it would make life a lot easier but unfortunately they're one of those ingredients I can taste a mile off. I know...first world problem...

Well, if it's just a cheesecake, I would probably just 1) leave it out or 2) just swap it out for 5 more ounces of cream cheese (maybe one of the sweet flavored ones).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8049 on: July 23, 2013, 08:52:12 PM »

If the peanut butter is included as a topping or base crust, I think it would be absolutely fine if you left it out all together without substituting anything.

If it's included in the basic cheesecake mix itself, it might be needed as a thickener. In which case, it's probable that you could substitute the peanut butter with extra cream cheese instead of butter.

Would you please post the exact recipe?

(not that it would help us answer your question . . . oh. no. . . . we don't need the exact recipe for that . . . it's just that this sounds like an absolutely decadent cheesecake! ;D)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8050 on: July 23, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
I agree; just replace it with more cream cheese.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Snooks

« Reply #8051 on: July 24, 2013, 05:32:46 AM »
You're all geniuses. Thank you! Will try to post recipe tonight.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #8052 on: July 24, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »

I'm not sure of the size of articles you're talking about, but have you ever considered using a diaper genie or maybe a cat litter genie?  Just a thought.
You know, I've thought about it, but somehow DP has vetoed it, I think because she doesn't want to be in the same category as a child or a pet. Perhaps I should try again, though - and the size is smaller than a diaper, larger than a litterbox cleaning (at least, if we're talking cats smaller than a tiger) so the diaper genie would be perfect.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8053 on: July 24, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »
This is a practicality trumps hurt feelings, Rebecca. You need something to make that better for you and DP to live around.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8054 on: July 24, 2013, 09:23:33 AM »
While it would be nice to get 40 MPG, I am 5'11" with long legs, and I don't think that I would be very comfortable in that small of a vehicle!
I am 6'1'' and can easily drive a smart.

Also, regaring space, I have transporte a 50 hp outboard engine in a smart while we were 2 people in there.

I test-drove a Smart for Two once and was surprised how much room there is in the passenger compartment. But that's because ALL the space is in the passenger compartment.

The guy who rode along with me was easily 6'1", and he had footroom and headroom. The guy who lives next door to me has a Smart, and he's easily 6'.

They're fun little cars!

Re: the substitute for the Diaper Genie: I'm now in charge of the litter box, w/ the new cat. (DH did it for 17 years with the old cat, so it's only fair.)

I save the plastic grocery bags and tie the waste inside it (I don't just tie the handles at the top--I twist the bag very tightly starting way down at the bottom, then tie the resulting "string" into a half-knot, tightly).

It works just as well as a Diaper Genie, in my opinion. I don't know if the ostomy stuff would fit inside that sort of a bag with enough, but that's what I do.