Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1089019 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8055 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
This is a practicality trumps hurt feelings, Rebecca. You need something to make that better for you and DP to live around.
I know this was meant kindly, but what an interesting assumption. We have a solution that works, but is a little stinky when I take the bag out to change it. We're not living with a huge stench. I was replying about a stinky trashcan someone else was needing help with.

Redsoil

« Reply #8056 on: July 24, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
It did read as though your solution was insufficient, Rebecca.  Your wording re. the smell was quite strong.

"...like I said, ostomy trash is the worst smelling stuff EVER - even worse than cat littler or diapers."

I do think the phrase "an interesting assumption" comes across as slightly off-putting in  this context, especially given that you acknowledged the other poster meant their advice kindly.  You've given a lot of information about your life with a partner who has an ongoing illness/disability, so of course some posters are going to want to help if they feel there is something they can contribute.  You have asked for assistance in areas of management previously, so it's not a far stretch by ay means.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Redsoil

« Reply #8057 on: July 24, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
Oh, and for the poster who asked about a substitute for peanut butter in recipes?  I just did a quick Google using the search phrase "peanut butter substitute in cooking" and got a lot of good sites come up.  Just thought that might be of use for others with allergies.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8058 on: July 24, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »
new question.  I have a keychain with a charm attached and the metal on the back gets tarnished really fast.  I don't use it as a keychain though; I hang it on my purse so it's not often touched.  If I put a coat of clear nail polish on, will the polish eventually eat/damage the metal? 

cwm

« Reply #8059 on: July 24, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
new question.  I have a keychain with a charm attached and the metal on the back gets tarnished really fast.  I don't use it as a keychain though; I hang it on my purse so it's not often touched.  If I put a coat of clear nail polish on, will the polish eventually eat/damage the metal? 

Usually, depending on the metal, absolutely not. If it's some sort of weird/rare metal, I'd check with someone who regularly works with it, but if it's just run of the mill nothing terribly expensive keychain charm, then it shouldn't be a problem.

The polish should actually protect the metal, it's the oxygen in the air that's starting to corrode it. The polish will protect against that corrosion by stopping the oxygen and other oxidizing factors getting to the metal to wear it down.

You may find yourself needing to reapply the polish, though, depending on how much wear and tear it gets on a regular basis. If it's constantly rubbing against your purse or knocking into things, the polish could wear off eventually.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8060 on: July 24, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
^ Thanks!  That's just what I needed to hear.

Snooks

« Reply #8061 on: July 24, 2013, 12:58:06 PM »
Oh, and for the poster who asked about a substitute for peanut butter in recipes?  I just did a quick Google using the search phrase "peanut butter substitute in cooking" and got a lot of good sites come up.  Just thought that might be of use for others with allergies.

I tried that first but the substitutes either seem to be other nut butters, butters that give the taste of peanut butter or soy/sesame butters which are designed to give a nutty taste. If you found any sites that had anything different please share them because I was looking for about an hour last night.

squeakers

« Reply #8062 on: July 24, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »

I tried that first but the substitutes either seem to be other nut butters, butters that give the taste of peanut butter or soy/sesame butters which are designed to give a nutty taste. If you found any sites that had anything different please share them because I was looking for about an hour last night.

Tofu or use pudding..  as in chocolate pudding or butterscotch pudding. Not sure of the ratios but I would guess Tofu is almost the same amount and pudding would be a lesser amount substituted since it is not as thick as peanut butter.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Snooks

« Reply #8063 on: July 24, 2013, 04:19:44 PM »
We don't have pudding in the UK, I'm not sure if we have an equivalent (Angel Delight maybe? UK ehellions any suggestions?)

Recipe as promised, I'm in the UK so I'm not sure all the ingredients will be available in the US

Crust
125g Oreo Biscuits
125g Digestive Biscuits
150g Unsalted Butter (melted)

Filling
3 Mars Bars
230g Cream Cheese
80g Soured Cream
140g Crunchy Peanut Butter
2 Large Eggs

23cm diameter pie dish

Method
Crush the Oreos and digestives together and pour in melted butter.  Press the mixture into the dish and put it in the fridge to set for at least an hour.
Preheat the oven to 160C.
Cut the Mars bars into 5mm pieces and arrange over the base.
Whisk the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy, add the soured cream and peanut butter.
Add eggs one at a time.
Spoon over the Mars bars then bake for 35-40 mins.
Leave pie to cool then set in the fridge overnight.

If you want to you can top with crushed peanuts and chocolate ganache.

squeakers

« Reply #8064 on: July 24, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »
We don't have pudding in the UK, I'm not sure if we have an equivalent (Angel Delight maybe? UK ehellions any suggestions?)

Custards or mousse with some gelatin (unflavored) to make them thicker would be your equivalent. Also blancmange.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

cwm

« Reply #8065 on: July 24, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »
Okay, so this is going to sound REALLY dumb.

What are digestive biscuits?

Plus, that recipe sounds delicious. I might have to try it once I get my kitchen, if I can convert enough of the measurements to a system I can use.

Also, is soured cream the same as sour cream?

Snooks

« Reply #8066 on: July 24, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »
Yes, soured cream is the same as sour cream (I think it's probably better known as sour cream here too).  Digestives are difficult to explain so I'll let Wikipedia do it.  You sometimes get them as biscuits for cheese in the UK, or for dunking in tea, coffee, milk.  They're a pretty much catch-all biscuit.  There are recipes in existence for them but I'd guess you could use any biscuit you'd normally use for a cheesecake base. 

I'm going to assume I don't need to scrape the cream out the Oreos but I'll let you know if I'm mistaken and end up with a giant mess.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8067 on: July 24, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »
Digestives are like a less sweet cookie.  They are fairly large around and are great with cheese or with dunking in coffee/tea.  They are fairly grainy.  Used to love them as a kid.

If you aren't close to the Canadian border for the USians, 'Nilla wafers might be an OK substitute.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

perpetua

« Reply #8068 on: July 24, 2013, 05:28:39 PM »
Okay, so this is going to sound REALLY dumb.

What are digestive biscuits?

Plus, that recipe sounds delicious. I might have to try it once I get my kitchen, if I can convert enough of the measurements to a system I can use.

Also, is soured cream the same as sour cream?

cwm, they are little round circles of heaven, that's what they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestive_biscuit

See also: Chocolate digestives, which are even better.

squeakers

« Reply #8069 on: July 24, 2013, 05:31:30 PM »
Digestives are like a less sweet cookie.  They are fairly large around and are great with cheese or with dunking in coffee/tea.  They are fairly grainy.  Used to love them as a kid.

If you aren't close to the Canadian border for the USians, 'Nilla wafers might be an OK substitute.

Graham Crackers are basically digestive biscuits except the GCs are thinner/more brittle.  But the same taste for the most part.