Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1015102 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8070 on: July 24, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
I didn't think about Graham crackers.  Yes, they would be the closest substitute.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Pen^2

« Reply #8071 on: July 24, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »
I just realised I haven't eaten a chocolate digestive biscuit in over a decade.

Time to fix that.

perpetua

« Reply #8072 on: July 24, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
I just realised I haven't eaten a chocolate digestive biscuit in over a decade.

Time to fix that.

I'm looking for a like button for this  ;D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8073 on: July 24, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »
We don't have pudding in the UK, I'm not sure if we have an equivalent (Angel Delight maybe? UK ehellions any suggestions?)

Recipe as promised, I'm in the UK so I'm not sure all the ingredients will be available in the US

Crust
125g Oreo Biscuits
125g Digestive Biscuits
150g Unsalted Butter (melted)

Filling
3 Mars Bars
230g Cream Cheese
80g Soured Cream
140g Crunchy Peanut Butter
2 Large Eggs

23cm diameter pie dish

Method
Crush the Oreos and digestives together and pour in melted butter.  Press the mixture into the dish and put it in the fridge to set for at least an hour.
Preheat the oven to 160C.
Cut the Mars bars into 5mm pieces and arrange over the base.
Whisk the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy, add the soured cream and peanut butter.
Add eggs one at a time.
Spoon over the Mars bars then bake for 35-40 mins.
Leave pie to cool then set in the fridge overnight.

If you want to you can top with crushed peanuts and chocolate ganache.

With that recipe I would definitely just sub out the PB with regular cream cheese.  It looks like it has a lot of sweet and I think the extra cream cheese may tone that down a bit.  Then again, I might toss in a few caramel bits with the plain cream cheese just for the caramel goodness.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8074 on: July 24, 2013, 06:17:32 PM »
When I think of a digestive biscuit, I often think of a slightly rough-textured cookie that often contains ginger.  McVitey's ( spelling?) comes to mind as a classic. 

Pen^2

« Reply #8075 on: July 24, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »
When I think of a digestive biscuit, I often think of a slightly rough-textured cookie that often contains ginger.  McVitey's ( spelling?) comes to mind as a classic.

McVitie's. They had a whole lot of different types (including the now-endangered chocolate coated ones), including ginger digestives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McVitie's

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8076 on: July 24, 2013, 06:34:48 PM »
We don't have pudding in the UK, I'm not sure if we have an equivalent (Angel Delight maybe? UK ehellions any suggestions?)

Recipe as promised, I'm in the UK so I'm not sure all the ingredients will be available in the US

Crust
125g Oreo Biscuits
125g Digestive Biscuits

Filling
3 Mars Bars
230g Cream Cheese
80g Soured Cream
2 Large Eggs

23cm diameter pie dish

Method
Crush the Oreos and digestives together and pour in melted butter.  Press the mixture into the dish and put it in the fridge to set for at least an hour.
Whisk the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy, add the soured cream and peanut butter.
Add eggs one at a time.

With that recipe I would definitely just sub out the PB with regular cream cheese. It looks like it has a lot of sweet and I think the extra cream cheese may tone that down a bit.  Then again, I might toss in a few caramel bits with the plain cream cheese just for the caramel goodness.  ;)

POD.

(I especially like the additional idea of caramel. ;D)

Redsoil

« Reply #8077 on: July 24, 2013, 07:32:09 PM »
Sorry Snooks - a lot of the sites do seem to concentrate on other nut butters.  I just figured if it was a peanut allergy (legume) then other nuts could possibly be substituted (absent tree-nut allergies).  Obviously, if it's the taste that's objectionable, then other nut substitutes won't get it!

A couple of sites I found with various (nut and other) subs included:

http://greatist.com/health/healthy-alternatives-peanut-butter

http://www.alive.com/articles/view/23633/tree_nut_butters_and_nut_butter_alternatives

http://www.sunbutter.com/products-natural.php  (sunflower based spread!)

http://www.thesneakychef.com/free-recipe-no-nut-butter.php  (This one does taste nutty, apparently)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64792.html  (blog post referring to subs)

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/416897  (another discussion)

Not sure if any of these may be useful, but they just might help someone?  Quite interesting reading, I thought!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8078 on: July 24, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »

McVitie's. They had a whole lot of different types (including the now-endangered chocolate coated ones), including ginger digestives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McVitie's

The chocolate digestive is endangered? Why? How? When did this happen?

One of the best memories I have of England is discovering the chocolate digestive. I drive 2 hours each way a couple of times a year to a store that carries McVitie's just to get them.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

dawnfire

« Reply #8079 on: July 24, 2013, 09:11:26 PM »

Crust
125g Oreo Biscuits
125g Digestive Biscuits

Filling
3 Mars Bars
230g Cream Cheese
80g Soured Cream
2 Large Eggs

23cm diameter pie dish

Method
Add eggs one at a time.

do you like nutella? that might be a substitute.

Moonie

« Reply #8080 on: July 25, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »
Which is the "right" and "left" side of the car. Is it as you face the car, or is it as if you were sitting in the car? Whenever I take my car to the shop, I usually say "driver's side" or "passenger side" just so I don't have the wrong tire fixed. I'd feel pretty stupid if I was wrong.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8081 on: July 25, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »
This is a practicality trumps hurt feelings, Rebecca. You need something to make that better for you and DP to live around.
I know this was meant kindly, but what an interesting assumption. We have a solution that works, but is a little stinky when I take the bag out to change it. We're not living with a huge stench. I was replying about a stinky trashcan someone else was needing help with.

I apologize, I thought you had stated that the ostomy bags were a problem.

perpetua

« Reply #8082 on: July 25, 2013, 11:00:46 AM »
Which is the "right" and "left" side of the car. Is it as you face the car, or is it as if you were sitting in the car? Whenever I take my car to the shop, I usually say "driver's side" or "passenger side" just so I don't have the wrong tire fixed. I'd feel pretty stupid if I was wrong.

You know - that's a good question. I don't know. It's for this reason that I will say 'nearside' or 'offside', nearside being the side nearest the kerb while driving and offside being the side nearest the middle of the road. I don't think I've ever referred to a tyre (or brake light, or anything like that) using left or right.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8083 on: July 25, 2013, 11:08:20 AM »
This is the best way to describe it so there is no confusion.

But for me (I'm in Canada and drive on the same side of the road as Americans), I would refer to the sides of the car as I'm sitting in the driver's seat.  So driver's side would be left and passenger side would be right.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #8084 on: July 25, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »

My dad built cars for years, so he explained it to me. It's as you're sitting in the car, so the driver's side front tire and the left front tire are the same thing. I've been taught to call all the doors, in clockwise order, the passenger door, right rear door, back hatch, left rear door, driver's door.