Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1030168 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8085 on: July 25, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »
Moonie wrote:

"Which is the "right" and "left" side of the car. Is it as you face the car, or is it as if you were sitting in the car?"

I've never seen any usage of left and right for a car other than left and right as one is seated in the vehicle.

Virg

Moonie

« Reply #8086 on: July 25, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
Thanks all for the info. Virg, I usually want to use the terms when specifically referring to tires. I have a slow leak in one of my tires, so when I go in to have it fixed I know now that it is the right front tire....or the front passenger side tire. I always had a problem knowing which was left and right because the guy at the shop would ask which tire it was....so I resorted to "passenger side" and "driver's side."

cwm

« Reply #8087 on: July 25, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »
Okay, so there's a situation behind this one.

I have a cheap digital camera. Nothing fancy. Have had it for years, and it's great for upcoming trips where I don't want to take my $800 camera. I left it in a box and the batteries exploded. There's a bit of that white-ish crusty stuff on the swing-arm of the battery compartment, but not too much, and it doesn't look like there's any within the battery compartment itself. Is there a way to salvage this so it still works? Or should I just write it off and look for another cheap one?

squeakers

« Reply #8088 on: July 25, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »
Okay, so there's a situation behind this one.

I have a cheap digital camera. Nothing fancy. Have had it for years, and it's great for upcoming trips where I don't want to take my $800 camera. I left it in a box and the batteries exploded. There's a bit of that white-ish crusty stuff on the swing-arm of the battery compartment, but not too much, and it doesn't look like there's any within the battery compartment itself. Is there a way to salvage this so it still works? Or should I just write it off and look for another cheap one?

I would try scrubbing it (the battery acid) off with a damp paste of baking soda and water.  Once the acid residue is gone I would put in new batteries and give the camera a try.

This site says to use lemon juice or vinegar on a cotton swab first: http://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/Clean_Alkaline_Battery_Corrosion
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8089 on: July 25, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »
Go for another cheap one. Even if it's not in the compartment itself, exploded battery is never good news.

If you do try to clean it up, be VERY careful. I've gotten bad chemical burns on my hands from trying to clean up exploded battery.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

cwm

« Reply #8090 on: July 25, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »
Go for another cheap one. Even if it's not in the compartment itself, exploded battery is never good news.

If you do try to clean it up, be VERY careful. I've gotten bad chemical burns on my hands from trying to clean up exploded battery.

You know, it's weird. I've had absolutely bizarre reactions to who knows what (sometimes I have reactions with some cleaning products, but two days later I'll use the same product with no reaction) and my skin will get really red and swollen, but I've dealt with old crusty split batteries for years and have never had a problem. My dad would constantly leave things around and/or lose them and months or years later, we'd come along electronics with the telltale crust of split batteries. We always tried to clean them, but mom and dad never let me try. Mostly because at the time I was so clumsy that I'd do more damage with liquid + electronics, but I used to take the electronics to the trash and get off what I could with my bare hands of the crusties.

I promise I'll be careful cleaning it, but there's really not a whole lot of crust left at all. Will report back after I've moved into new place, located crusty camera, and attempted de-crustification.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8091 on: July 25, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »
Why are cars such boring colors?

White, black, gray, silver, tan/beige are the most common--all colors that are easily spotted at night and in the rain or fog. ( ::) :-\ Not)
Red, of course and the very occasional green or blue (my car is that dark blue that you see).

BORING!  Where are the pastels?  The pinks?  Orange? Beautiful leafy green?  Deep rich brown? Robins egg blue?

That is something i have been noticing recently, too. Even the reds are toned down earthy reds, and the blues are muted dark blues. (Now i've got to read the rest of the thread to see if anyone kows...:))
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Ereine

« Reply #8092 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »

White, black, gray, silver, tan/beige are the most common--all colors that are easily spotted at night and in the rain or fog. ( ::) :-\ Not)
Red, of course and the very occasional green or blue (my car is that dark blue that you see).

BORING!  Where are the pastels?  The pinks?  Orange? Beautiful leafy green?  Deep rich brown? Robins egg blue?

That is something i have been noticing recently, too. Even the reds are toned down earthy reds, and the blues are muted dark blues. (Now i've got to read the rest of the thread to see if anyone kows...:))

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/07/23/boring-car-buyers-mostly-still-pick-black-white-or-silver-paint/

I guess that the answer is that there's more demand for them. I've been doing ads for used car dealers lately at work and it's rare that there's even been a red car, they're mostly white or black (though they tend to sell cars that cost something like 20000 even used so I guess the original buyers had reason to be conservative with colour). That reminds me of my stupid question: what is a car with four doors like? It usually seems to be five. I don't drive and I don't think that I've ever even talked to a car dealer before so covering for my collegue has been interesting.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #8093 on: July 25, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »

You know, it's weird. I've had absolutely bizarre reactions to who knows what (sometimes I have reactions with some cleaning products, but two days later I'll use the same product with no reaction) and my skin will get really red and swollen, but I've dealt with old crusty split batteries for years and have never had a problem. My dad would constantly leave things around and/or lose them and months or years later, we'd come along electronics with the telltale crust of split batteries. We always tried to clean them, but mom and dad never let me try. Mostly because at the time I was so clumsy that I'd do more damage with liquid + electronics, but I used to take the electronics to the trash and get off what I could with my bare hands of the crusties.

I promise I'll be careful cleaning it, but there's really not a whole lot of crust left at all. Will report back after I've moved into new place, located crusty camera, and attempted de-crustification.

This sounds similar to my experience. I get terrible allergic reactions to some things. They burn my skin badly. :'( But I got battery acid on my skin at one point and it didn't hurt nearly as much, nor did it leave a mark after I washed it off.

Maybe your hands (and mine) are so used to chemical burns that small amounts of acid don't have a big effect anymore. :-\
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8094 on: July 25, 2013, 11:44:49 PM »
Ok, this is something that is annoying the heck out of me lately...

I want some new sheets. I can't afford to buy expensive ones. But the cheap sheets that I have found stink horribly of chemicals. I know from working in retail that this is because they come from overseas and the boxes get sprayed with bug killers, etc. during shipping.

Slight problem - I can't wash the stink out. I'm pretty limited in my detergent choices, since I have allergies. But I've tried soaking them in vinegar which will get out most smells and this doesn't even budge. Anyone got any ideas?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8095 on: July 25, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »
Do you have a place where you can put the sheets out in the sun?

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8096 on: July 26, 2013, 12:32:13 AM »
Do you have a place where you can put the sheets out in the sun?

I have a balcony. And it has been roasting hot and sunny here. You think that will do the trick?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8097 on: July 26, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
Ok, this is something that is annoying the heck out of me lately...

I want some new sheets. I can't afford to buy expensive ones. But the cheap sheets that I have found stink horribly of chemicals. I know from working in retail that this is because they come from overseas and the boxes get sprayed with bug killers, etc. during shipping.

Slight problem - I can't wash the stink out. I'm pretty limited in my detergent choices, since I have allergies. But I've tried soaking them in vinegar which will get out most smells and this doesn't even budge. Anyone got any ideas?

Borax.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

cwm

« Reply #8098 on: July 26, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/07/23/boring-car-buyers-mostly-still-pick-black-white-or-silver-paint/

I guess that the answer is that there's more demand for them. I've been doing ads for used car dealers lately at work and it's rare that there's even been a red car, they're mostly white or black (though they tend to sell cars that cost something like 20000 even used so I guess the original buyers had reason to be conservative with colour). That reminds me of my stupid question: what is a car with four doors like? It usually seems to be five. I don't drive and I don't think that I've ever even talked to a car dealer before so covering for my collegue has been interesting.

Five doors? Unless you're counting the back hatch/trunk as a door, or the "fuel door", which is literally a tiny flap over where you put the gas in.

Four door cars generally have more space in the back for passengers than two door cars. More leg room, room for toys for kids, for stuff you're moving or carting around. It's also much easier access to the back seat. You don't have to open a front door, slide a seat up, and lean into the back seat from the front door.

Is that what you're asking? I'm not entirely sure on your question here...

Ereine

« Reply #8099 on: July 26, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »
I guess it's different here but from what I've seen cars seem to be advertised as having five doors (that is, foor doors and the trunk) or three doors (two front doors and trunk) so a car with four doors seemed strange (does it have no trunk? Only three doors?).