Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1124167 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8100 on: July 26, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »
I guess it's different here but from what I've seen cars seem to be advertised as having five doors (that is, foor doors and the trunk) or three doors (two front doors and trunk) so a car with four doors seemed strange (does it have no trunk? Only three doors?).

I've never heard the trunk advertised as a door! Different terminology. The trunk is the trunk. The only "doors" are entrances into the passenger compartment. Just picture a four-door as the five-doors you're used to. :)

Ereine

« Reply #8101 on: July 26, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
Google managed to really confuse me but I guess that it has something to do with the kind of trunk the car has. There was some reference to a "five door hatchback".

Hillia

« Reply #8102 on: July 26, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »
I guess it's different here but from what I've seen cars seem to be advertised as having five doors (that is, foor doors and the trunk) or three doors (two front doors and trunk) so a car with four doors seemed strange (does it have no trunk? Only three doors?).

I've never heard the trunk advertised as a door! Different terminology. The trunk is the trunk. The only "doors" are entrances into the passenger compartment. Just picture a four-door as the five-doors you're used to. :)

I've seen 3 door or 5 door used to refer to hatchback cars...there's not a truck, per se, but an open cargo area in the rear that is accessed by a top-hinged door. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8103 on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »

I've seen 3 door or 5 door used to refer to hatchback cars...there's not a truck, per se, but an open cargo area in the rear that is accessed by a top-hinged door.

That's exactly it.  The trunk is not the 5th door, but the hatchback is.  I bought a new car last year, and I specifically looked for a 3- or 5-door car, because there's so much more ROOM with a hatchback!!
I got an SUV, actually.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8104 on: July 29, 2013, 03:49:30 PM »
Moonie wrote:

"Virg, I usually want to use the terms when specifically referring to tires. I have a slow leak in one of my tires, so when I go in to have it fixed I know now that it is the right front tire....or the front passenger side tire. I always had a problem knowing which was left and right because the guy at the shop would ask which tire it was....so I resorted to "passenger side" and "driver's side.""

In this particular case, when I dropped off the car, I'd just point to the leaky tire and say, "that one."  ;D

cwm wrote:

"I have a cheap digital camera. Nothing fancy. Have had it for years, and it's great for upcoming trips where I don't want to take my $800 camera. I left it in a box and the batteries exploded. There's a bit of that white-ish crusty stuff on the swing-arm of the battery compartment, but not too much, and it doesn't look like there's any within the battery compartment itself. Is there a way to salvage this so it still works? Or should I just write it off and look for another cheap one?"

Just clean it, dry it and then put in new batteries and turn it on.  If it's messed up beyond recovery, it won't power up, and if it powers up then you cleaned it sufficiently.

Ereine wrote:

"That reminds me of my stupid question: what is a car with four doors like? It usually seems to be five. I don't drive and I don't think that I've ever even talked to a car dealer before so covering for my collegue has been interesting."

A four door car is just a sedan (a front door and back door on each side of the car).  A five door car would be a car with four passenger doors and a back lift gate, as opposed to a simple trunk.

Virg

Ereine

« Reply #8105 on: July 30, 2013, 12:34:51 AM »
I paid extra attention to cars on my commute yesterday (not just where they were but what they looked like) and it seemed to me that very few cars had separate trunks, though not knowing cars I may be mistaken. Most cars owned by people I know have the sort of rear seats that can be flattened to make one big space so they at least have cars with five doors.

Bluenomi

« Reply #8106 on: July 30, 2013, 12:41:25 AM »
I paid extra attention to cars on my commute yesterday (not just where they were but what they looked like) and it seemed to me that very few cars had separate trunks, though not knowing cars I may be mistaken. Most cars owned by people I know have the sort of rear seats that can be flattened to make one big space so they at least have cars with five doors.

Most 4 door cars will still have back seats that fold down as well. The easiest way to tell is that a 3/5 door has a boot/trunk that is open to the rest of the car like a station wagon/hatchback where as a 2/4 door has the boot completely seperate when the back seats are up. Sedans are 4 doors. If there is a soild, non removable parcel tray in the back, it's a 4 door.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8107 on: July 30, 2013, 09:51:02 AM »
When did rompers become acceptable for adults to wear outside the house? It seems like I see several women in them every day and they are always tugging the top up and the bottom down.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8108 on: July 30, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
When did rompers become acceptable for adults to wear outside the house? It seems like I see several women in them every day and they are always tugging the top up and the bottom down.

The '60s?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8109 on: July 30, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
What are rompers?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8110 on: July 30, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
What are rompers?

I put "romper" into Google and clicked images; it came right up with what we're talking about, albeit modern ones.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8111 on: July 30, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
Like this :

In real life, they are a hazard, constantly threatening to expose one's assets.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8112 on: July 30, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »
Only if they're worn incorrectly, but I think that can be said about a lot of clothing people wear these days.

Personally, I wouldn't wear one even if it had dinosaurs or my favorite band on it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8113 on: July 30, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »
If you have the desire to wear something like that, go for it!

However, they don't seem to work well with people carrying a purse or backpack.  :o

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8114 on: July 30, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »
When did rompers become strapless? Back in the 80s, they were a trend, but the ones I saw were sleeveless or short-sleeved.

These look like an accident waiting to happen.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn