Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1117699 times)

Barney girl

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8115 on: July 30, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
How do you ride a bicycle in a skirt?
Back in the days of black and white film you would see girls riding bikes in skirts. These days of course it's less common, but I have seen it from time to time, both pencil type skirts and quite full ones. The one time I tried it, rather than changing back into my leggings after work I spent three miles with one hand tugging down the hemline, trying to keep decent.
My bike doesn't have a high cross bar, so that's not the reason my skirt rides up.
It's not that I want to ride in a skirt, but I am curious if there's a particular technique and I missed the lessons.

Ereine

« Reply #8116 on: July 30, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
I saw girls riding bikes on mini skirts in Holland, they seemed to use one hand to hold the skirt in place. When I do it I just adjust the skirt as necessary, I do try to avoid biking in a short skirt. One danger with longer skirts is getting the skirt stuck in the wheel, they sell protector things for that (I managed to ruin at least one skirt that way when I was too cheap to buy one).

EmmaJ.

« Reply #8117 on: July 30, 2013, 01:21:11 PM »
When did rompers become strapless? Back in the 80s, they were a trend, but the ones I saw were sleeveless or short-sleeved.

These look like an accident waiting to happen.

Yep!  I had a beautiful purple one that I wore around the house.  Until my cat jumped up, clung, and rode it like an elevator down to the floor.

Thank goodness I was alone at the time!  My romper went into the trash. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8118 on: July 30, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »
When did rompers become strapless? Back in the 80s, they were a trend, but the ones I saw were sleeveless or short-sleeved.

Yep!  I had a beautiful purple one that I wore around the house.  Until my cat jumped up, clung, and rode it like an elevator down to the floor.

Thank goodness I was alone at the time!  My romper went into the trash.

Oh, that was a great image.  Thanks for the laugh!   :D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

mandycorn

« Reply #8119 on: July 30, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »
My Grandma had quite the collection of strapless terry cloth rompers that she wore in the early 90s. I remember being concerned about the flashing potential, even as a young child. They were pretty awful looking.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8120 on: July 30, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »

When I think of rompers, I remember the comfortable, inexpensive play clothes that little girls wore in the 1950s.  These were very much like the illustration in the gym suit thread.  Those rompers were all one piece with elastic at the legs and the waist. In some of the Pooh books, Christopher Robin is wearing a garment  that looks a lot like a romper.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8121 on: July 30, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »

When I think of rompers, I remember the comfortable, inexpensive play clothes that little girls wore in the 1950s.  These were very much like the illustration in the gym suit thread.  Those rompers were all one piece with elastic at the legs and the waist. In some of the Pooh books, Christopher Robin is wearing a garment  that looks a lot like a romper.

There are pictures of me as a little girl in rompers in the 60s. But they always had straps or something to hold them up.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8122 on: July 30, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
My Grandma had quite the collection of strapless terry cloth rompers that she wore in the early 90s. I remember being concerned about the flashing potential, even as a young child. They were pretty awful looking.

On Saturday, following a memorial service we attended, we saw a very elderly woman wearing one out of terrycloth that was strapless and, um... drooping quite a bit. Then I noticed a few at the movie theater, and the grocery store, and around my complex at home. I had not realized how popular they are.

cwm

« Reply #8123 on: July 30, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
I saw a girl in one walking down the street. She was so stick-skinny and the top of the top half was held up by massive elastic, but it was supposed to have a bit of give in the middle. She didn't have anything to fill it with, and it was hanging down. The bottom bit was so short it was covered, and until the wind picked up it looked like she was just wearing a shirt.

Then again, when the wind picked up, she grasped at it around her chest like she was afraid it would fall.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #8124 on: July 30, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
How do you ride a bicycle in a skirt?
Back in the days of black and white film you would see girls riding bikes in skirts. These days of course it's less common, but I have seen it from time to time, both pencil type skirts and quite full ones. The one time I tried it, rather than changing back into my leggings after work I spent three miles with one hand tugging down the hemline, trying to keep decent.
My bike doesn't have a high cross bar, so that's not the reason my skirt rides up.
It's not that I want to ride in a skirt, but I am curious if there's a particular technique and I missed the lessons.

In Jr. High and High School I used to ride my bike everywhere. When I wore shorter skirts or pencil skirts I just stood on the pedals instead of sitting on the seat. With longer, more full skirts I would sit down on the seat then pull the skirt through my legs from behind and toss the extra material over one leg, typically the leg on the opposite side from the bike's chain.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #8125 on: July 30, 2013, 04:00:16 PM »
What's the point of a cell phone alert sound/vibration to inform you that you just missed a call? Not an alert that you have a voicemail, but an alert a few seconds after the call times out to tell you that you have a missed call.

If I'm in a position to hear/feel the ring/vibration, then I probably heard/felt the original ring/vibration indicating that I had a call. If I wasn't aware of the original call, then I'm probably not going to hear/feel the "missed call" alert a few seconds after the ringing stops, so I'll just see the "missed call" message next time I look at my phone. What purpose is the audible/vibration alert supposed to serve? It's especially odd when I hit a button to make the ringing stop...and a moment later, my phone "alerts" me about the call I just actively silenced.  ::) (BTW, I did turn that alert off on my phone--I'm just curious about the motivation for including it to begin with.)

cwm

« Reply #8126 on: July 30, 2013, 04:37:36 PM »
What's the point of a cell phone alert sound/vibration to inform you that you just missed a call? Not an alert that you have a voicemail, but an alert a few seconds after the call times out to tell you that you have a missed call.

If I'm in a position to hear/feel the ring/vibration, then I probably heard/felt the original ring/vibration indicating that I had a call. If I wasn't aware of the original call, then I'm probably not going to hear/feel the "missed call" alert a few seconds after the ringing stops, so I'll just see the "missed call" message next time I look at my phone. What purpose is the audible/vibration alert supposed to serve? It's especially odd when I hit a button to make the ringing stop...and a moment later, my phone "alerts" me about the call I just actively silenced.  ::) (BTW, I did turn that alert off on my phone--I'm just curious about the motivation for including it to begin with.)

Mine does it for missed calls even when I specifically have to swipe the screen to send the call straight to voicemail. It's like, I KNOW I missed the call, I'm avoiding that person, do you REALLY have to remind me that they called?

I wish I knew how to turn it off. But my phone is so weird in all of its settings. It's a special little phone. I'll wait until I get a new one and deal with it for now.

mandycorn

« Reply #8127 on: July 30, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »
On Saturday, following a memorial service we attended, we saw a very elderly woman wearing one out of terrycloth that was strapless and, um... drooping quite a bit. Then I noticed a few at the movie theater, and the grocery store, and around my complex at home. I had not realized how popular they are.

Yes! The drooping is the disturbing part! And nothing droops quite as threateningly as terrycloth with weak elastic!

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8128 on: July 30, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »

Sometimes there is enough signal for a message squirt like a text or a missed call alert, but there is not enough signal to sustain an actual call.  If that is the case, the missed call alert allows you the option of moving to get a better signal, so that the call can go through.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8129 on: July 31, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »
How does the vaccination for Shingles work?  I just do not understand how a vaccination for a virus you already have in your system (assuming you have had chickenpox) prevents you from getting shingles. 

Not that it personally matters for me because I absolutely cannot be vaccinated due to life threatening reactions, but I'd like to know to satisfy my own curiosity.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah