Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1088786 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8130 on: July 31, 2013, 09:49:32 PM »
How does the vaccination for Shingles work?  I just do not understand how a vaccination for a virus you already have in your system (assuming you have had chickenpox) prevents you from getting shingles. 

Not that it personally matters for me because I absolutely cannot be vaccinated due to life threatening reactions, but I'd like to know to satisfy my own curiosity.

I'm assuming because they're different complexes of the same virus and thus one vaccination does not work for all.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8131 on: July 31, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »
How does the vaccination for Shingles work?  I just do not understand how a vaccination for a virus you already have in your system (assuming you have had chickenpox) prevents you from getting shingles. 

Not that it personally matters for me because I absolutely cannot be vaccinated due to life threatening reactions, but I'd like to know to satisfy my own curiosity.

I'm assuming because they're different complexes of the same virus and thus one vaccination does not work for all.

Same virus. It's just that your immune system eventually loses its resistance to the virus. The shingles vaccine reinforces that resistance. There's a similar issue with diptheria; The recommendation is every 10 years or so, in conjunction with your tetanus booster.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8132 on: August 01, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »

Same virus. It's just that your immune system eventually loses its resistance to the virus. The shingles vaccine reinforces that resistance. There's a similar issue with diptheria; The recommendation is every 10 years or so, in conjunction with your tetanus booster.

At least here, that vaccine is known as dpt, with the p standing for pertussis.  With the ressurgence of whooping cough, it is a good one to get for all those who are able.  Because I'm a gardener and rarely work with gloves, I get a tetnus booster every 5 years, just to be on the safe side.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

oogyda

« Reply #8133 on: August 01, 2013, 12:58:04 PM »

At least here, that vaccine is known as dpt, with the p standing for pertussis.  With the ressurgence of whooping cough, it is a good one to get for all those who are able.  Because I'm a gardener and rarely work with gloves, I get a tetnus booster every 5 years, just to be on the safe side.

That reminds me...I should talk to my doc about a dpt booster.  I just reread "The Cruelest Miles" and was once again horrified at the description of diphtheria.  I won't be "due" for the shingle vaccine for several more years, but I'll be asking about that, too. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

cwm

« Reply #8134 on: August 01, 2013, 03:34:50 PM »
I've had shingles. Not fun. Try explaining to college professors that you have shingles and can't come to class. A few outright called me a liar until I brought the doctor's note in. I can't get the vaccine even though I've been documented as having had it because I'm "too young to get shingles".

Some day once I find it I'll post a picture of my rash to the gross out thread. It was pretty epic.

I've been up to date on DPT for a while, mostly because of my last job. When you're as clumsy as I am and working with animals, the company ends up paying for it because it's not documented in my hire paperwork when my last one was (because I didn't know) and it had been more than two years, so they got it for me under workman's comp.

wheeitsme

« Reply #8135 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »
I've had shingles. Not fun. Try explaining to college professors that you have shingles and can't come to class. A few outright called me a liar until I brought the doctor's note in. I can't get the vaccine even though I've been documented as having had it because I'm "too young to get shingles".

LOL!  I got the shingles when I was 6.  The Doctor asked my Mom if he could take pictures.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8136 on: August 01, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »

LOL!  I got the shingles when I was 6.  The Doctor asked my Mom if he could take pictures.

A kid in my 8th grade year got shingles, and had to miss a couple football games because he was sick and in so much pain.

Then again, I was surprised to find out that I had Meniere's disease, since I was so young when it eventually showed its full debilitating glory - my dad got it when he was in his 40's and was told it was an older person's disease, and teens and young adults almost never get it, and it almost never runs in families, so it was very unlikely Cabbage or I would ever get it. Well, surprise!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8137 on: August 03, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
New question --

How difficult is it to drive a 17ft. truck when you've never done it before?

Are there any tips one should know? Things to be aware of? (Especially driving in city traffic.)

DD#1 rented a truck for the move to her apartment tomorrow. The person that was going to drive (he's experienced with this size truck) has been called out of town due to a family emergency. So DD#1 has all her friends lined up for moving day and nobody's ever driven a truck this size before . . . I know that I would be scared spitless (I don't even like driving my own car in the city.)

Oh, and in case you're wondering why such a big truck? DD#1's friend is also moving all of her stuff . . . my house looks like a furniture warehouse right now. :D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8138 on: August 03, 2013, 04:00:08 PM »
New question --

How difficult is it to drive a 17ft. truck when you've never done it before?

Are there any tips one should know? Things to be aware of? (Especially driving in city traffic.)

DD#1 rented a truck for the move to her apartment tomorrow. The person that was going to drive (he's experienced with this size truck) has been called out of town due to a family emergency. So DD#1 has all her friends lined up for moving day and nobody's ever driven a truck this size before . . . I know that I would be scared spitless (I don't even like driving my own car in the city.)

Oh, and in case you're wondering why such a big truck? DD#1's friend is also moving all of her stuff . . . my house looks like a furniture warehouse right now. :D

Always give yourself extra room to turn; remember that your backend is longer so it will follow you tighter around the corner.  It really isn't that hard and sounds a lot scarier than it actually is.  Remember that you will take longer to stop because you're heavier.  You're also probably a bit wider, too, so don't hug the lines if you usually do because you don't have the same buffer you do in a smaller car.

I've been doing this since I was old enough to drive; you can do it, too!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #8139 on: August 03, 2013, 04:28:27 PM »
What's the point of a cell phone alert sound/vibration to inform you that you just missed a call? Not an alert that you have a voicemail, but an alert a few seconds after the call times out to tell you that you have a missed call.

If I'm in a position to hear/feel the ring/vibration, then I probably heard/felt the original ring/vibration indicating that I had a call. If I wasn't aware of the original call, then I'm probably not going to hear/feel the "missed call" alert a few seconds after the ringing stops, so I'll just see the "missed call" message next time I look at my phone. What purpose is the audible/vibration alert supposed to serve? It's especially odd when I hit a button to make the ringing stop...and a moment later, my phone "alerts" me about the call I just actively silenced.  ::) (BTW, I did turn that alert off on my phone--I'm just curious about the motivation for including it to begin with.)

I don't always have my cell phone with me, so it helps me to discover that someone tried to reach me.  Granted, I usually assume that if they wanted to leave a message, they would have left a message.  But sometimes I'll call them back anyhow, to find out what they wanted.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #8140 on: August 03, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »

I have been told that the chickenpox vaccine has not only cut down on the number of CP cases, but it has also cut down on the number of parents and other caregivers who get exposed to it.  Oftentimes, that exposure 20 years after the childhood disease gives the immune system a little boost and keeps the shingles virus from reactivating.  I had CP as a kid, but neither of my kids had it, so I will probably get the shingles vaccine to boost my immunity.

Of course, this assumes that the above theory makes sense. 

I have also read that otherwise healthy people with shingles can make very good money by donating plasma. So if I do get shingles, I am so going to donate my plasma. ;)

oogyda

« Reply #8141 on: August 03, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »

My ODD had them at 3. That doc was amazed and all the docs in the practice had to take a look. When we left, they were still shaking their heads.  2 weeks later, YDD had Chicken Pox...right on schedule.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Cherry91

« Reply #8142 on: August 06, 2013, 10:01:01 AM »
This is one for any musical members of the forum - in a song with no lyrics, but acapella elements (eg, there's no actual words, but you still have singers going "lalala" or similar) - how is this indicated on the music sheet?

I listen to a lot of music that's often used in video games and films, and I always wonder how they indicate this to the singers - is it done phonetically?

The only example I can think of off the top of my head of what I mean is the Skyrim theme tune! Sorry if I'm not being very clear...

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8143 on: August 06, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »
I've sung little with no lyrics but all the music I have just writes it phonetically.

cwm

« Reply #8144 on: August 06, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
I've always seen it written phonetically for the sounds they want. I've also seen where composers instructed the performers to do whatever they wanted, which ends up being completely different.

I've also seen composers write odd instructions into the sheet music. One weird piece I played in horn choir instructed us to take a guitar pick across our valve slides. Another person took a pencil and tapped the inside of their bell. That was a bizarre piece. We never took it to performance.