Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 838621 times)

Just Lori

• USA
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8145 on: August 03, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »
How does the vaccination for Shingles work?  I just do not understand how a vaccination for a virus you already have in your system (assuming you have had chickenpox) prevents you from getting shingles. 

Not that it personally matters for me because I absolutely cannot be vaccinated due to life threatening reactions, but I'd like to know to satisfy my own curiosity.

I have been told that the chickenpox vaccine has not only cut down on the number of CP cases, but it has also cut down on the number of parents and other caregivers who get exposed to it.  Oftentimes, that exposure 20 years after the childhood disease gives the immune system a little boost and keeps the shingles virus from reactivating.  I had CP as a kid, but neither of my kids had it, so I will probably get the shingles vaccine to boost my immunity.

Of course, this assumes that the above theory makes sense. 

I have also read that otherwise healthy people with shingles can make very good money by donating plasma. So if I do get shingles, I am so going to donate my plasma. ;)

oogyda

« Reply #8146 on: August 03, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »
I've had shingles. Not fun. Try explaining to college professors that you have shingles and can't come to class. A few outright called me a liar until I brought the doctor's note in. I can't get the vaccine even though I've been documented as having had it because I'm "too young to get shingles".

LOL!  I got the shingles when I was 6.  The Doctor asked my Mom if he could take pictures.

My ODD had them at 3. That doc was amazed and all the docs in the practice had to take a look. When we left, they were still shaking their heads.  2 weeks later, YDD had Chicken Pox...right on schedule.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Cherry91

« Reply #8147 on: August 06, 2013, 10:01:01 AM »
This is one for any musical members of the forum - in a song with no lyrics, but acapella elements (eg, there's no actual words, but you still have singers going "lalala" or similar) - how is this indicated on the music sheet?

I listen to a lot of music that's often used in video games and films, and I always wonder how they indicate this to the singers - is it done phonetically?

The only example I can think of off the top of my head of what I mean is the Skyrim theme tune! Sorry if I'm not being very clear...

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8148 on: August 06, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »
I've sung little with no lyrics but all the music I have just writes it phonetically.

cwm

« Reply #8149 on: August 06, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
I've always seen it written phonetically for the sounds they want. I've also seen where composers instructed the performers to do whatever they wanted, which ends up being completely different.

I've also seen composers write odd instructions into the sheet music. One weird piece I played in horn choir instructed us to take a guitar pick across our valve slides. Another person took a pencil and tapped the inside of their bell. That was a bizarre piece. We never took it to performance.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8150 on: August 06, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
Either phonetically ("mmm bop ba ba mmm bop") or - in some cases - something like "humming" or "whispering."  If it's spoken words which have no pitch, they're written with notes which have an "X" as the note head instead of a dot:

|     |
 |     |
X    X

(This is also one of the default notes for percussion scores, for drums which have no pitch.)  Occasionally if the words are kinda-sorta-pitched, like whispering which is supposed to go higher or lower but not correspond with particular notes, the "X" noteheads will be placed on the staff like normal notes are and will go up or down to indicate direction.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8151 on: August 06, 2013, 08:33:03 PM »
Speaking of music...

Bibliophile is a book lover, and cinephile is a movie lover, what is a music lover?  Is there a word for that like there is for the others?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8152 on: August 06, 2013, 08:36:45 PM »
Speaking of music...

Bibliophile is a book lover, and cinephile is a movie lover, what is a music lover?  Is there a word for that like there is for the others?

Audiophile.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8153 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »
Speaking of music...

Audiophile.

Thank you!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8154 on: August 06, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »
Speaking of music...

Audiophile.

Thank you!

Although you'll usually hear "audiophile" in the context of people who love particular types of music recordings, like vinyl versus cassettes or one kind of digital compression versus another.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8155 on: August 06, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »
Several languages use melomaniacs for music afficcionados but it doesn't seem to be in use in English.

Adelaide

« Reply #8156 on: August 07, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »
One of the central plots of Byzantium was the idea that the mother felt forced to continue working in prostitution to make money. But if you're an immortal who feeds on blood, what do you need money for?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8157 on: August 07, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
Rent?

jilly

« Reply #8158 on: August 07, 2013, 02:41:03 AM »
make-up? cloths? and you couldn't do a normal job ppl would notice you never eat food...

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8159 on: August 07, 2013, 04:39:21 AM »
This is probably a really stupid question.

I've heard people here talk about permits to "carry a concealed gun".  If you don't have a permit like that, does that mean you can't have a gun at all or that you can have one but it has to be visible at all times when you carry it?