Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1024404 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8145 on: August 06, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
Either phonetically ("mmm bop ba ba mmm bop") or - in some cases - something like "humming" or "whispering."  If it's spoken words which have no pitch, they're written with notes which have an "X" as the note head instead of a dot:

|     |
 |     |
X    X

(This is also one of the default notes for percussion scores, for drums which have no pitch.)  Occasionally if the words are kinda-sorta-pitched, like whispering which is supposed to go higher or lower but not correspond with particular notes, the "X" noteheads will be placed on the staff like normal notes are and will go up or down to indicate direction.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8146 on: August 06, 2013, 08:33:03 PM »
Speaking of music...

Bibliophile is a book lover, and cinephile is a movie lover, what is a music lover?  Is there a word for that like there is for the others?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8147 on: August 06, 2013, 08:36:45 PM »
Speaking of music...

Bibliophile is a book lover, and cinephile is a movie lover, what is a music lover?  Is there a word for that like there is for the others?

Audiophile.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8148 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »
Speaking of music...

Audiophile.

Thank you!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8149 on: August 06, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »
Speaking of music...

Audiophile.

Thank you!

Although you'll usually hear "audiophile" in the context of people who love particular types of music recordings, like vinyl versus cassettes or one kind of digital compression versus another.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8150 on: August 06, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »
Several languages use melomaniacs for music afficcionados but it doesn't seem to be in use in English.

Adelaide

« Reply #8151 on: August 07, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »
One of the central plots of Byzantium was the idea that the mother felt forced to continue working in prostitution to make money. But if you're an immortal who feeds on blood, what do you need money for?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8152 on: August 07, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
Rent?

jilly

« Reply #8153 on: August 07, 2013, 02:41:03 AM »
make-up? cloths? and you couldn't do a normal job ppl would notice you never eat food...

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8154 on: August 07, 2013, 04:39:21 AM »
This is probably a really stupid question.

I've heard people here talk about permits to "carry a concealed gun".  If you don't have a permit like that, does that mean you can't have a gun at all or that you can have one but it has to be visible at all times when you carry it?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #8155 on: August 07, 2013, 05:43:36 AM »

I've heard people here talk about permits to "carry a concealed gun".  If you don't have a permit like that, does that mean you can't have a gun at all or that you can have one but it has to be visible at all times when you carry it?

Usually the latter... open carry is used in a lot of states.

crella

« Reply #8156 on: August 07, 2013, 07:00:51 AM »
New question --

How difficult is it to drive a 17ft. truck when you've never done it before?

Are there any tips one should know? Things to be aware of? (Especially driving in city traffic.)

DD#1 rented a truck for the move to her apartment tomorrow. The person that was going to drive (he's experienced with this size truck) has been called out of town due to a family emergency. So DD#1 has all her friends lined up for moving day and nobody's ever driven a truck this size before . . . I know that I would be scared spitless (I don't even like driving my own car in the city.)

Oh, and in case you're wondering why such a big truck? DD#1's friend is also moving all of her stuff . . . my house looks like a furniture warehouse right now. :D

Always give yourself extra room to turn; remember that your backend is longer so it will follow you tighter around the corner.  It really isn't that hard and sounds a lot scarier than it actually is.  Remember that you will take longer to stop because you're heavier.  You're also probably a bit wider, too, so don't hug the lines if you usually do because you don't have the same buffer you do in a smaller car.

I've been doing this since I was old enough to drive; you can do it, too!

And, don't forget the added height...I say this because DH crumpled the top of a U-Haul truck once in McDonald's drive-thru :-[

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8157 on: August 07, 2013, 07:02:43 AM »

Usually the latter... open carry is used in a lot of states.

You can own a gun in the US without a concealed weapons permit.  You need to check local state laws and city/county ordinances to see how you are allowed to carry and transport it though.  Some states have open carry laws, some do not.

ETA:  Just because you have a concealed weapons permit in your state of residence does not mean it is honored in all states.  Please check if you are traveling between states.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:05:34 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8158 on: August 07, 2013, 07:31:06 AM »

I'm in Texas. I don't have a concealed carry permit. I do have a 22 rifle. Now I wouldn't walk down the street with it. I can carry from the house to my car, to take it to our farm. Even if my sister's former neighbor was under the impression I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT. She threatened to call the cops, when I picked it up from my sister's house and was walking to the car. (Following all safety rules.)

Also - Adding to Dazi's warning - You can not take a gun onto school property. My rifle was my Dad's. Mom had just left if locked up after Dad passed. When I got it (couldn't have it in my apartment), it needed cleaning. I mentioned I was going to go buy a kit. My uncle said to bring it by his house after work and he would take care of it. I pointed out I couldn't have it even just sitting in my trunk at school. Of course Uncle grew up with pick ups with gun racks in the back of the cab at school especially during hunting season.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8159 on: August 07, 2013, 07:54:06 AM »
Thank you.  It was just idle curiosity - I have never even held a real gun nor do I intend to.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:08:45 AM by RingTailedLemur »