Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1125304 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8205 on: August 14, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »
The neti pot really is magic. Disgusting, disgusting magic.

I would also recommend a long, hot shower. Sit down in the tub if you feel woozy, but keep the door closed and the fan off, and let the bathroom get steamy as possible. I sometimes find that letting the shower stream hit my sinus area helps. It's a little massage, the heat loosens things up, and the moisture in the air will help soothe your mucus membranes.

I'll probably end up doing that just before bed. My fan's wired into the lightswitch, unfortunately, but it doesn't work too well, so I think I can steam myself to near-oblivion. ;D
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Carotte

« Reply #8206 on: August 14, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »
Speaking of being sick, I found out that my regular non-sick temperature was/around 35.5 (96F) (oral temp - that's really low, I know, but last time I checked, I wasn't a robot and wasn't in a constant state of hypothermia).
Turns out oral temp of 32.2 can actually be normal in some people!

Does that mean I have a fever at say X+1,5, so 37(99F) or that it's only a fever if it's above 37.8(100) - the temperature the thermometer leaflet says it's fever?
I do feel feverish when I'm ("way") below 37.8, that's why I have been taking my temp every now and then, ( same time of day, no activity before, all that stuff) never went above 36.2 or below 35.2, to try and figure my own self out.

(I used an online C to F, hope they're close enough to the real numbers)

edited to add a few things
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:42:39 PM by Carotte »

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8207 on: August 14, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
Speaking of being sick, I found out that my regular non-sick temperature was/around 35.5 (96F) (oral temp - that's really low, I know, but last time I checked, I wasn't a robot and wasn't in a constant state of hypothermia).

Does that mean I have a fever at say X+1,5, so 37(99F) or that it's only a fever if it's above 37.8(100) - the temperature the thermometer leaflet says it's fever?
I do feel feverish when I'm ("way") below 37.8, that's why I have been taking my temp every now and then, ( same time of day, no activity before, all that stuff) never went above 36.2 or below 35.2, to try and figure my own self out.

Carotte, my normal body temp is 95.9 F. I am rarely ever warm, and if I am, everyone else has been sweating a while.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8208 on: August 14, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »

That's about my average non-sick temperature too. I figure that my "fever" temperature is correspondingly lower, but I've never had it be an issue one way or the other. If I'm giving symptoms to a doctor for whatever reason, I make sure to mention that my regular temperature is lower.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8209 on: August 14, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »

Carotte, my normal body temp is 95.9 F. I am rarely ever warm, and if I am, everyone else has been sweating a while.

Mine's fairly low - I don't know exactly how low, my thermometer isn't accurate. >:( But I can be perfectly comfortable in temperatures that would send most people swearing and stumbling for the AC. It's 76 F in my room right now and I'm still in sweatpants!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #8210 on: August 14, 2013, 07:11:53 PM »

If you feel feverish and ill when your temp goes up a little, you probably are. If you feel fine, it may be something else that is raising your temperature.

I've jokingly called myself a lizard because my temperature used to be around 93 F (33.8 C) underarm temp. but it would go up a few degrees if I sat in the sun for an hour (new meds now so it's not a problem anymore).
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8211 on: August 14, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »

Mine's fairly low - I don't know exactly how low, my thermometer isn't accurate. >:( But I can be perfectly comfortable in temperatures that would send most people swearing and stumbling for the AC. It's 76 F in my room right now and I'm still in sweatpants!

Mine tends to run in the area of 95-96 degrees.  If my temp is 99, I AM SICK. 101 feels like I am dying.  I once ended up in the ER with a temp of 104.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8212 on: August 14, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »
I run 96 - 97 degrees normally, when I run a 99, I am very sick.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8213 on: August 14, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
My "normal" body temperature used to be 96.8 F (instead the expected 98.6 F).  I spent years insisting that I had some form of hypothyroid issue - but until my Dad went on thyroid supplements, not just Maternal Grandmother & an aunt - I was ignored.

Last month I found out at an uncle-by-marriage's funeral that Mom's Baby Sister was diagnosed with the same hypothyroid condition twice - once overseas and again after they moved back to the USA....but nobody told ME until last month.

At least I am comfortable knowing that I was not a hypochondriac all those years (at least five years - possibly eight - maybe longer - they would test for thyroid levels and tell me that I fell in the "low normal" range but never listened to the long list of hypothyroid symptoms - until Dad went on thyroid and then the tests for thyroid antibodies finally got done)...

Seriously - someone comes in with a temp of 96.8 F when she's well and you tell her that she's imagining things when she reports feeling really, really sick at 100 F?  And too sick to function at anything more than 100 F? 

There's an old joke about the difference between God and a doctor (sometimes particular specialties are mentioned instead of the generic term doctor). 

The answer is that God doesn't think he's a doctor.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8214 on: August 14, 2013, 09:18:26 PM »
As a note on the heating/ a.c., I grew up in a house built in the 80's so it had central air and heating, and really every place I've lived in up till now had central air and heating.  But this house (built in 1925) came with a furnace that runs on gas and 6 fans on the first floor.  No a/c at all unless you count the two old window units that came with the house.  They still work, one we put in the kitchen window, the other's in the piratebabe's window. 

We bought a few others, one for our bedroom, one for my middle son's room and one for the living room.  The babe's room and middle son's room are both on the west side of the house and during the summer they're the hottest rooms, in the winter they're the coldest.  And oddly the only heating vent in the babe's room is in one of the closets so we have to keep his closet open and dress him very warmly in the winter.  Thankfully middle pirate doesn't have that problem. 

Oh, we also have an exhaust fan but that thing's so blasted loud I hate turning it on.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MrTango

« Reply #8215 on: August 14, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »

I would also recommend a long, hot shower. Sit down in the tub if you feel woozy, but keep the door closed and the fan off, and let the bathroom get steamy as possible. I sometimes find that letting the shower stream hit my sinus area helps. It's a little massage, the heat loosens things up, and the moisture in the air will help soothe your mucus membranes.

I'll probably end up doing that just before bed. My fan's wired into the lightswitch, unfortunately, but it doesn't work too well, so I think I can steam myself to near-oblivion. ;D

Another thing that's remarkably effective at clearing phlegm out of one's throat is alcohol.  It's a very effective solvent.  As long as you don't have any religious or other reason to avoid it, a small (1/4 ounce) sip of 80-proof spirits is very useful.  (There's a reason cough syrup used to contain a significant dose of alcohol).

**I wouldn't do this if your throat is raw, however.  That just hurts!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8216 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:26 PM »

Another thing that's remarkably effective at clearing phlegm out of one's throat is alcohol.  It's a very effective solvent.  As long as you don't have any religious or other reason to avoid it, a small (1/4 ounce) sip of 80-proof spirits is very useful.  (There's a reason cough syrup used to contain a significant dose of alcohol).

My go to sinus clearer is a shot of the cheapest whiskey I can find; and you have to let it linger in your mouth.  I learned this by accident as a bar tender but I've sworn by it every since.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8217 on: August 14, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »

Oh, but that second sip of blackberry brandy doesn't hurt a bit. Mmmmm sigh. Sometimes I welcome my illness because it is an excuse. I only get a cold or flu about every four years now. Darn that hand sanitizer and daily vitamin C and zinc, along with being so old I've had everything already anyway.

squeakers

« Reply #8218 on: August 14, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Hot chicken soup/any kind of broth soup/hot tea seems to get the stuff flowing.  Copious amounts of pepper in them helps too. Whether plain black or any of the "hot" peppers can get sinus un-congested in no time.

I find standing under a hot shower with the water alternating from the top of my head to directly on my face sinuses helps gets them running enough to get a good blow going.  Then either "benadryl" or guaifenesin (was so glad when that went OTC).
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8219 on: August 15, 2013, 02:29:59 AM »

NyQuil. ;D

I seem to be doing slightly better since I had a bit of a nap. Still getting horrible headaches when I try to blow my nose, though. Off to the shower and a meal of spicy noodles for me. >:(