Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 843546 times)

Onyx_TKD

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8235 on: August 15, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »
RE: Neti pots
Y'all please be safe while irrigating your sinuses! I've heard great things about safely-used neti pots, but also horror stories about what can happen using water straight from the tap that isn't quite clean enough. I don't want to get into medical stuff by posting links, but it's easy to google and find instructions on what is safe to use.

And back to your regularly scheduled thread.  ;)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8236 on: August 15, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Also make sure to shut the cats out of the bathroom before you Neti. They're curious and have little sense of personal boundaries.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8237 on: August 15, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »
Also make sure to shut the cats out of the bathroom before you Neti. They're curious and have little sense of personal boundaries.

LOL!  I can also recommend that you either cover your mirror or cover your eyes.   Once in awhile I've caught a glimpse of what I look like at the time, and I either choke with laughter or grossness.  Either way, the main word here is CHOKE.   

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8238 on: August 15, 2013, 02:09:40 PM »
New Question:

I'm not sure who to call or what to google (the airlines or the airport?) Is this even allowed any more?

DD#2 is going to France in a couple of months and she wants me to come inside the airport and wait with her until she boards the plane. I'd really like to do that, and I'd like to meet her at the arrival gate when she gets off the plane coming back home.

I am under the impression that you need to have a ticket in order to get past the security check-in. Is this true?

How do I find out what I need to do so that I can wait with her before departure and meet her once she arrives?

Go to your airline ticket counter and ask for a "Gate Pass".  There may be a specific line for that.  Or if your DD is youngish (under 18) go to  the "Unaccompanied minors" line and ask for a Gate Pass.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8239 on: August 15, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
The neti pot really is magic. Disgusting, disgusting magic.

I would also recommend a long, hot shower. Sit down in the tub if you feel woozy, but keep the door closed and the fan off, and let the bathroom get steamy as possible. I sometimes find that letting the shower stream hit my sinus area helps. It's a little massage, the heat loosens things up, and the moisture in the air will help soothe your mucus membranes.

I'll probably end up doing that just before bed. My fan's wired into the lightswitch, unfortunately, but it doesn't work too well, so I think I can steam myself to near-oblivion. ;D

Another thing that's remarkably effective at clearing phlegm out of one's throat is alcohol.  It's a very effective solvent.  As long as you don't have any religious or other reason to avoid it, a small (1/4 ounce) sip of 80-proof spirits is very useful.  (There's a reason cough syrup used to contain a significant dose of alcohol).

**I wouldn't do this if your throat is raw, however.  That just hurts!

Gish is a big fan of that. He says he knows I am super sick when I don’t want “vodka therapy.” 
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8240 on: August 18, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »
Off the tails of my last nail polish question... (the alcohol trick worked - thank you Dazi! My polish doesn't peel anymore!)

Why is it that my polish keeps getting little bumps or bubbles in it no matter how I apply it? It's not too obvious with my usual favorites, but when I put on a more normal polish, it completely ruins the look.  :-\
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8241 on: August 18, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »
Off the tails of my last nail polish question... (the alcohol trick worked - thank you Dazi! My polish doesn't peel anymore!)

Why is it that my polish keeps getting little bumps or bubbles in it no matter how I apply it? It's not too obvious with my usual favorites, but when I put on a more normal polish, it completely ruins the look.  :-\

You're welcome!

It's from shaking the bottle before applying it.  Try turning it upside down and rolling it between your hands instead.  If that doesn't work, it may be the polish is too thick...sometimes thinning it out a bit with acetone helps.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Betelnut

« Reply #8242 on: August 18, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
Why are Star Trek and ST: the Next Generation in syndication but none of the other variations on Star Trek seem to be?  I would love to see Deep Space Nine every once in a while.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8243 on: August 18, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »

You're welcome!

It's from shaking the bottle before applying it.  Try turning it upside down and rolling it between your hands instead.  If that doesn't work, it may be the polish is too thick...sometimes thinning it out a bit with acetone helps.

Hmm, I'll give that a try. I need to pick up some nail polish thinner anyway - my top coat's starting to get extremely gloopy, and a new bottle of this stuff isn't cheap. (Then again, it is a couple years old and maybe I'm better off buying more...I never really did my nails till recently!)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8244 on: August 18, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »
Why are Star Trek and ST: the Next Generation in syndication but none of the other variations on Star Trek seem to be?  I would love to see Deep Space Nine every once in a while.

Space here in Canada shows Voyager and has shown DS9, as well as Enterprise.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8245 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:15 AM »

You're welcome!

Hmm, I'll give that a try. I need to pick up some nail polish thinner anyway - my top coat's starting to get extremely gloopy, and a new bottle of this stuff isn't cheap. (Then again, it is a couple years old and maybe I'm better off buying more...I never really did my nails till recently!)

Nail polish thinner will be better than acetone, since acetone will break down the structure of the polish instead of just thinning it down. Manicurists swear by a few drops of banana oil around here.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8246 on: August 19, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »
betelnut wrote:

"Why are Star Trek and ST: the Next Generation in syndication but none of the other variations on Star Trek seem to be?  I would love to see Deep Space Nine every once in a while."

They're more rarely run than the two you named, but all of the series are in syndication.  If you can't find them running on a channel you get, you can also stream them on NetFlix, although that costs.

Virg

Betelnut

« Reply #8247 on: August 19, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
betelnut wrote:

"Why are Star Trek and ST: the Next Generation in syndication but none of the other variations on Star Trek seem to be?  I would love to see Deep Space Nine every once in a while."

They're more rarely run than the two you named, but all of the series are in syndication.  If you can't find them running on a channel you get, you can also stream them on NetFlix, although that costs.

Virg

Well, only if I want to watch TV on my computer which I don't want to do.  But I guess that is an option.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #8248 on: August 19, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
betelnut wrote:

Virg

Well, only if I want to watch TV on my computer which I don't want to do.  But I guess that is an option.

If you have a TV that supports it, you can run the video from your computer to the TV.  :D

MrTango

« Reply #8249 on: August 19, 2013, 04:20:11 PM »

You can watch DS9 episodes online for free at StarTrek.com