Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1111723 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8250 on: August 19, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »
Betelnut, do you have a wireless network at home? If you do, Chromecast is another option. It's $35, and plugs into the HDMI port on your television (plus a power source). It basically just hooks your tv up to your wireless network, and allows you to stream Netflix (plus a few other things) as well as anything on the internet (using the Google Chrome browser). If you don't already own a cord to connect your laptop to your television, Chromecast might end up being about the same price and, depending upon your setup, might be easier to use (since it doesn't require a wired connection from your computer to your television).

Lots of Blueray players have the ability to stream things like Netflix, but there are a lot of other ways to manage it.

Betelnut

« Reply #8251 on: August 19, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!  I need to figure it all out and y'all have helped.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Carotte

« Reply #8252 on: August 20, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find some answers/tips/guidance regarding paints and primers for wall painting?
I'm thinking about painting my bedroom, that, due to the orientation of the building and that there is no isolation, is always a bit humid. So the humidity is mostly from outside, not from inside like it would be for a bathroom, and we have a mild mold problem (that we wash away twice a year with anti-mold product).
But I can't find  any particular how-to for this kind of problem, I'm afraid some of the products that exist would end up sealing the moisture inside the walls and make even more problems in the long term or something.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #8253 on: August 20, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find some answers/tips/guidance regarding paints and primers for wall painting?
I'm thinking about painting my bedroom, that, due to the orientation of the building and that there is no isolation, is always a bit humid. So the humidity is mostly from outside, not from inside like it would be for a bathroom, and we have a mild mold problem (that we wash away twice a year with anti-mold product).
But I can't find  any particular how-to for this kind of problem, I'm afraid some of the products that exist would end up sealing the moisture inside the walls and make even more problems in the long term or something.
You might want to check with the people who make Killz. http://www.kilz.com They make a product that is specific for that kind of thing, and they have some great resources online.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8254 on: August 20, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »
I would get a dehumidifier and set it up before you start the painting project to take some of the moisture out of the air.  There are lots of products to use to remove, or at least seal up, mold.  You'd probably want to look at using kitchen and bathroom paint that is designed for higher humidity, too.

Leave the dehumidifier going while you are painting; it might help the paint dry faster.  And then leave it running afterwards to keep the humidity out of the air.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

oogyda

« Reply #8255 on: August 20, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »

I'm assuming that you meant "insulation", not "isolation".  The mild mold/mildew that you get probably comes from condensation due to temperature changes.  Specifically, when the warm air from outside hits the colder air inside, or vise-versa, the water particles turn more solid.  That is still going to occur, but if you have a mildew resistant paint, it won't seep into the paint.  I don't think you'd be sealing the moisture inside the walls because of a better paint. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

magicdomino

« Reply #8256 on: August 20, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

A professional paint store would be helpful.  I know there are anti-mildew additives that can be added to paint when the color is mixed. 

Coruscation

« Reply #8257 on: August 20, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
The ones that are already in the paint are more effective than the ones that get added at the store. Ask for mildew resistant paint.

wheeitsme

« Reply #8258 on: August 20, 2013, 04:53:05 PM »
Off the tails of my last nail polish question... (the alcohol trick worked - thank you Dazi! My polish doesn't peel anymore!)

Why is it that my polish keeps getting little bumps or bubbles in it no matter how I apply it? It's not too obvious with my usual favorites, but when I put on a more normal polish, it completely ruins the look.  :-\

You're welcome!

It's from shaking the bottle before applying it.  Try turning it upside down and rolling it between your hands instead.  If that doesn't work, it may be the polish is too thick...sometimes thinning it out a bit with acetone helps.

Hmm, I'll give that a try. I need to pick up some nail polish thinner anyway - my top coat's starting to get extremely gloopy, and a new bottle of this stuff isn't cheap. (Then again, it is a couple years old and maybe I'm better off buying more...I never really did my nails till recently!)

Also, refrigerating the polish helps.  My Mom didn't wear a lot of colors, and she stored hers in the fridge.

Carotte

« Reply #8259 on: August 23, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
Why do people have wedding rehearsals?
I'm puzzled, mostly because I've read (mostly here, I don't read about weddings much) that the diner is not always at the restaurant or place it will be on the day of the wedding. I don't even know if there's a rehearsal of the ceremony before?
So yeah, my question is more why and what does it entails?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8260 on: August 23, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »
I'm puzzled, mostly because I've read (mostly here, I don't read about weddings much) that the diner is not always at the restaurant or place it will be on the day of the wedding. I don't even know if there's a rehearsal of the ceremony before?

Ours - which I assume is fairly common - was a rehearsal at the chapel where we were getting married the next day.  It was basically a walkthrough, to make sure everyone knew when to do their part and where to stand.  (It was a smallish wedding, so ours didn't take very long, but people with a dozen attendants and multiple liturgists can take quite a while!)  Then we had the rehearsal dinner, which was really just a dinner where we took everyone who was in the wedding out for a meal.  In our case, we also took out all the people who flew in from out of town because a) that was nearly everyone, and b) small wedding :)  Sometimes the rehearsal dinner is where final details are organized about who's picking up the potato salad tomorrow morning and who's making sure Grandma doesn't try to drive herself . . .

mandycorn

« Reply #8261 on: August 23, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »
That's also where my friends have given out wedding party gifts to thank their bridesmaids and groomsmen for their participation. And, at the most recent wedding I participated in, it was a good chance for the wedding party to meet each other for the first time before the wedding.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8262 on: August 23, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »
It's generally a more intimate dinner than the reception the next day (or when the wedding comes).  They're not required, but for a large-ish wedding, it's a time to make sure everyone knows the schedule, musicians are coordinated, ushers (who have usually never ushed before ;)) know what to do, etc.

One tradition that I see a lot and did myself: the bride and groom never stand in at the rehearsal.  It's superstition and all that.

Another tradition was that the groom's family paid for this dinner, and thus chose the restaurant.  Nowadays, that's not always followed, though.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8263 on: August 23, 2013, 06:51:23 PM »
We stood in our rehearsal and my sisters boyfriend at the time stood as officiant for the rehearsal. I'm glad we had it, since MIL threw her tantrum after that and not at the actual wedding.

It was a good thing, because some of the venue items had to be adjusted to accommodate our guests in wheelchairs so they could see everything.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8264 on: August 23, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »

There's an old joke about the FOB asking the Bride, 'Why do we need a rehearsal dinner? We all know how to eat.'

Like Weddings in general, rehearsals vary greatly.  The idea is to get the bridal party used to the
house of worship in which the Wedding is to take place and figure out the timing.  What music will be played when is discussed. Bits of choreography such as the bride handing off her bouquet to the MOH for the vows is also treated.  In 1983 when we were married, it was traditional to make a mock bouquet with a paper plate and the bows from the shower gifts for the bride.   This was used as a prop at the rehearsal to make the bouquet transfer more comfortable.

The rehearsal is also a time to get misconceptions straightened out.  At ours, the celebrant said that, after the ceremony was completed, he would spread his arms, announce us as Mr. and Mrs. X and
 encourage applause from the guests.  In no uncertain terms, we told him that we did not want this.  It didn't happen at the actual ceremony.

Our rehearsal dinner was tiny. Our only attendants were the MOH and BM. We just all went out after the rehearsal and got a table for four at a local place.  No reservations were needed.  In later years, we were invited to rehearsal dinners that included at least 80 people because most of the family was coming in from out of town and staying in hotels.

The rehearsal dinner is a chance to say 'Thank You' to attendants and present gifts.  If relatives of the bride or groom have come a long way, the rehearsal dinner gives both sides a relaxed atmosphere in which to get acquainted before the actual Wedding.  In no way is the rehearsal dinner a rehearsal for the Wedding reception.  There is no dancing and no cake.  It's just a get-to-know-you
 sort of thing.  The rehearsal dinner is usually also held in a place that's more informal than the reception venue.   

BTW, just this week I heard of a bride who had 80 bridesmaids.  It's not as bad as you might think. The bride ran a dance school and asked all her students to be attendants.  Now, THAT required one humongous Wedding rehearsal.   

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:30:26 PM by Thipu1 »