Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1004525 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8265 on: August 23, 2013, 09:06:02 PM »
When I got married, my rehearsal took a good hour because the priest walked us through the ceremony twice. I was extremely glad for it, because I'm a cry when I get emotional (any emotion, good or bad), and I did this really awful sounding sob-laugh the first time I tried to say my vows. Having gone through them a couple of times in a situation that was almost like the real deal kept me from doing anything quite that ridiculous during the actual wedding. I still cried, but it was much more graceful. :)

It also gave our two readers, who had never been inside the church, a chance to practice their reading and get a feel for it. And the priest explained where we were supposed to go at what times during the ceremony.

I ended up inviting everyone to our rehearsal dinner, just because most of our guest list was not local (including us, since we got married in my home city rather than where we actually live), and some were coming from really far away. We wanted an extra, less formal chance to see people. I think probably about half the people we invited made an appearance, which was really nice.

In general, even a simple wedding can be surprisingly complicated when it comes right down to it, and it's more meaningful to be in (and to witness) if the people participating in it have at least a basic idea of what they are supposed to do and say. And the rehearsal dinner, at its most basic, is intended to provide hospitality to people who have taken time out to attend your rehearsal. It can be bigger than that, but in its simplest form, it's just the wedding party going out to a restaurant.

Betelnut

« Reply #8266 on: August 24, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »
I just went to my sister's wedding rehearsal last month!  It is definitely needed--basically it is just a run through of the ceremony--who will stand where, when, and other types of decisions.  For example, it was decided that my sister and her soon-to-be husband would sit down during a musical section of the ceremony.

Plus, my niece--only three--who was a flower girl got a chance to run around but also a chance to practice and to know what was going to happen.  My daughter, seven and also a flower girl, got an opportunity to practice her role in the ceremony.

This practice was very important.

The rehearsal dinner is something different and people do it differently depending on their preferences.  My sister had it at a local restaurant with tons of people that weren't part of the wedding ceremony itself.  Just another chance to meet everyone and have fun!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8267 on: August 24, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
Sometimes people hear "rehearsal dinner" and think you're rehearsing the dinner (reception) part of things. But it's actually the rehearsal of the wedding ceremony, and then to thank everyone for taking out their time to do that, you take everyone who participated to dinner. Rehearsals can be quick or complicated, depending on how complicated the wedding ceremony will be, but it's a good way to make sure everyone know where to stand and how they're walking in and out. The rehearsal dinner is the "after" part, once the work is done, and you're just relaxing, eating, and getting to know each other.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #8268 on: August 24, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
The one wedding rehearsal I've been to, it was a combination of physical "this is the church, you will be sitting here" and "this is a Purple ceremony, it involves XYZ, you attendants who are not members of that church should just stand at this point in the ceremony."

The rehearsal dinner was for the wedding party and some close relatives; my friend's parents were I think a little surprised as well as pleased at how much I, from New York, enjoyed the Maryland crab feast they treated us to. (Some people's reaction to their first steamed crabs is "how do I eat these things?" but it wasn't my first time.) I don't think either of the other weddings I've been in had formal rehearsals, but neither was in a church.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #8269 on: August 27, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
From the other side: my father is a retired minister.  He was very popular but also very strict.  He brooked no delays/nonsense during rehearsals.  He had a wife and 5 kids waiting for him at home.  He also politely informed the happy couple on the outset that he did not attend rehearsal dinners or wedding receptions.  He figured they probably didn't want him there anyway, he didn't actually enjoy them all that much, and, as mentioned before, he had a family waiting at home.

Carotte

« Reply #8270 on: August 29, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
What is the best dusting method or implement that you found?

Turns out I don't own anything really made for dusting so it was a really sloppy and quite useless job with the rag I used, today I tried with a moist sponge (I only had things like wood or stone to dust) and it was quite effective, appart from having to clean it in a sink a few times, which doesn't bother me : not many surfaces + small apartment: the sink is not that far away.

So I was wondering if I should invest in something like a swiffer or a microfiber cloth or just keep with the sponge?

SlitherHiss

« Reply #8271 on: August 29, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »
I use a microfiber cloth (cheapo ones, from the dollar store) for most of my dusting. When I had blinds, I used a Swiffer, but that's really the only thing it was really good for.  Old, dead t-shirts work really well, too, but they've got to be really dead, to the point where they're starting to get "fuzzy" and transparent at the same time.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8272 on: August 29, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »
What is the best dusting method or implement that you found?

Turns out I don't own anything really made for dusting so it was a really sloppy and quite useless job with the rag I used, today I tried with a moist sponge (I only had things like wood or stone to dust) and it was quite effective, appart from having to clean it in a sink a few times, which doesn't bother me : not many surfaces + small apartment: the sink is not that far away.

So I was wondering if I should invest in something like a swiffer or a microfiber cloth or just keep with the sponge?

There is so much you can not do with a sponge!

I would say a microfiber and a can of Endust for furniture (tops, sides, drawer fronts) and a wooly (feather duster or longhandled Swiffer) should do it. You need the wooly for tops of picture frames, door trim, panelled cabinets, ceiling fans, top of doorbell, and vents. Keep it clean and don't use the Endust on it because you don't want that on paint.

Please don't use wet on wood. Even if it dries quickly and seems to do a really good job, it does eventually deteriorate the finish.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8273 on: August 29, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »
My favorite dust cloths are old T-shirt scraps. They don't "pill" or leave pieces of the cloth behind. I spray the cloth with just a touch of endust . . . this helps pick up the dust and adhere it to the cloth instead of just brushing the dust around.

I've used the Swiffer dusting products and really like them. They are already treated with a "magnetic" substance and really do work well.

Using soap and water with a sponge? That's kinda like when the item is soiled in dust and needs to be brought to the sink and washed, instead of simply dusted.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8274 on: August 29, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
POD to the Swiffers. You can probably also find reusable Swiffer-type things on Etsy or whatnot - I know they make them for the Swiffer mop, so they might make them for the duster too. Other than that, I usually just use a very old cloth diaper, it works a treat.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8275 on: August 29, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
I use this: Casabella Mini Chenille Duster.

I like it because you can take the duster part off the handle and toss it in the wash (or wash it in the sink). It takes approximately forever to dry, but it does get actually clean when you wash it. It also takes awhile for it to get dirty enough to need it unless you're doing really serious dusting.

I really prefer not to use disposable cleaning products for most things. Swiffer products absolutely work, but they just generate so much garbage. I'd much rather have something that is washable and reusable, even if it takes a bit more effort on my part.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8276 on: August 29, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »
I usually just use a very old cloth diaper, it works a treat.

Unless the first users of the diapers are 44 and 42. The diapers wear out in about 35 years.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8277 on: August 29, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »
I use a cloth product called Enjo.  It has specially designed fibres that trap bacteria for their cleaning mitts.  Their dusting version works on static electricity.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #8278 on: August 29, 2013, 10:38:04 PM »
How does one start a gas-powered mower?

I'm house sitting and I've never used a gas-powered mower before (as a child chores were divided by gender and the only time I lived in a place with a lawn as an adult, I had a push power). I filled it up with gas, pushed the red button and pulled the cord but nothing happened. There's an extra handle as well: do I squeeze it or not?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8279 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39:20 PM »
I think there's nothing like a good old fashioned feather duster. I have one with ostrich feathers, and it's fabulous.