Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 982003 times)

Snooks

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8310 on: September 01, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »
Mom uses Ivory - anything else left her hands torn up for years - that said, she still washes dishes for the two of them by hand instead of using the dishwasher......I don't know why.....but it's her house and her two plates, two forks, two spoons, etc. so she can do what she wants to.

Dad does dry them, I understand.

Personally - I'd rather run the dishwasher - but I'm the one with a sinus infection and on antibiotics for the next two weeks.
My MIL did the same.  I suspect a strong streak of OCPD there, since one time when they were visiting, I'd put the dishes in the machine and let it sit because it wasn't full.  MIL fussed and fretted all evening about how those dishes ought to bother me.  And why didn't I wash them before they went in the machine?  How did I know that they would be CLEAN?

I call my dishwasher the dirty dishes cupboard because it only gets run every three days or so.  I love my dishwasher.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8311 on: September 01, 2013, 12:33:42 PM »
Mom uses Ivory - anything else left her hands torn up for years - that said, she still washes dishes for the two of them by hand instead of using the dishwasher......I don't know why.....but it's her house and her two plates, two forks, two spoons, etc. so she can do what she wants to.

Personally - I'd rather run the dishwasher - but I'm the one with a sinus infection and on antibiotics for the next two weeks.
My MIL did the same.  I suspect a strong streak of OCPD there, since one time when they were visiting, I'd put the dishes in the machine and let it sit because it wasn't full.  MIL fussed and fretted all evening about how those dishes ought to bother me.  And why didn't I wash them before they went in the machine?  How did I know that they would be CLEAN?

I call my dishwasher the dirty dishes cupboard because it only gets run every three days or so.  I love my dishwasher.

I love mine, too - but I have had problems with VorGuy going shopping for FOOD and bringing back more than there is cupboard space for....while he was gone, I ran the dishwasher and put everything away, including the hand washed pots & pans.

He was shocked to find that there was no space for all the canned goods.....

He also tries to fill all the wasted air space in the fridge as well as in the cupboards - to the point where sometimes I throw out fuzzy food because he has hidden it under layers of more food....the only green fuzzy food I keep is fresh kiwi - all gray fuzzy food is tossed.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8312 on: September 01, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »
Do Americans have terraced houses, like this:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Terraced_houses.jpg

?

Yes, San Francisco has them.  I'm sure they can be found in other hilly cities as well.

New Orleans has similar houses, but they aren't on a hill (it's flatter than a pancake there).  You can find rows of "shotgun" houses, so named because a bullet can travel from front to back in a straight line!

Thanks.  The "hill" isn't really the bit I meant, I just meant any row of connected houses.

They are called "row houses" in a lot of places here.

Also called townhouses in my area.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Tea Drinker

« Reply #8313 on: September 01, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »
I'm used to those being called attached houses, and yes we have them.

Brownstones are also usually attached: "brownstone" refers to the material used, and generally to three- or four-story houses with a significant flight of stairs up from the street.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #8314 on: September 01, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »
Rowhomes here.  I live in one.  NEVER again.

Snooks

« Reply #8315 on: September 01, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
I've started a thread to talk about house types here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=129820.0

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #8316 on: September 01, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »
How does one start a gas-powered mower?

I'm house sitting and I've never used a gas-powered mower before (as a child chores were divided by gender and the only time I lived in a place with a lawn as an adult, I had a push power). I filled it up with gas, pushed the red button and pulled the cord but nothing happened. There's an extra handle as well: do I squeeze it or not?

There should be instructions on the machine.  I'm going to give you a general rundown; it may or may not work.

1. Make sure the gas is turned on.  Some mowers have a switch for this, some do not.  If there is no switch, you can assume the gas is on.
2.  The red button is the primer.  Push it 5-10 times in succession.
3.  Hold down the killswitch (the handle you're talking about) and pull the cord until the engine tries to turn over.
4.  Push the primer a few more times, hold down the handle, and pull the cord until the engine actually starts.  If you let go of that handle, the motor will stop.  If that does happen, you do not need to prime it again (you only do that when the motor has been off long enough to cool down), just hold the handle and pull the cord until it restarts.

If the machine has a choke, make sure it is open the first time you try to start it.  Once the motor starts running, slowly close it.  If the motor starts to sputter as you close it, stop until the motor runs solid, then start closing it again.  Repeat until it is closed and the motor is running smoothly.

One more thing to add: pull the cord as quickly and forcefully as you can. A slow pull will just make it cough at you in disgust. (Why no, I don't have trouble starting lawnmowers due to my weird arm strength, nooo...)

Thanks guys! It worked and I would've done a celebration dance but I was afraid I'd let go of the kill switch.

Clockwork Banana

« Reply #8317 on: September 01, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »

And I'd like to thank the poster who confused the GF grill with cleaning the girly bits :P

I think this thread is ruined for me ;D
[/quote
I am tickled pink to have been of service.  ;
[/b]

In my lurking  I somehow missed this thread for the last two years, and I am all of on page 39 or so.  But I could not let this one pass.

"Tickled pink".  I see what you did there!  Bwah!!

Cherry91

« Reply #8318 on: September 01, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »

When I was at university, not having a dishwasher drove me mad because it meant there was no where to put dirty dishes but the sink or the countertops, so they were constantly in the way if you weren't able to wash them the second you were done eating.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8319 on: September 01, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
Here's another one.

When I was wee, I rather enjoyed a series of books. They were mystery books, and the main character/heroine was named Susan Sand. I remember in one book she was solving a mystery at a ski chalet, and she had a couple of good friends who always got into these messes with her. Does anyone know the name of the series and/or author?
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Ereine

« Reply #8320 on: September 01, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8321 on: September 01, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
Yes, that's it! Thank you so much, Ereine! ;D
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8322 on: September 05, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
Would a vet require proof of ownership before performing 'debarking' surgery on a dog?  I was thinking today about the little yap-dog that the neighbors had when I was a kid.  They'd put it outside when they went to work, and it would yap constantly for 8 hours, one of those high-pitched glass-breaking yaps.  My parents told the neighbors that it was bothering them, and the neighbors* shrugged and said "It doesn't bother US."  This was a very small town in the 1960's, so there were no noise ordinances other than neighborhood disapproval.  I think if such surgery had been available, my mother would have been happy to put down cash for it.  Probably all the other neighbors, too.

*(Same neighbors also had a Perfect Child, who never did anything naughty like taking away the ladder that was the only access to our storage-room playhouse while we were playing in there... ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #8323 on: September 06, 2013, 05:35:16 AM »
Would a vet require proof of ownership before performing 'debarking' surgery on a dog?  I was thinking today about the little yap-dog that the neighbors had when I was a kid.  They'd put it outside when they went to work, and it would yap constantly for 8 hours, one of those high-pitched glass-breaking yaps.  My parents told the neighbors that it was bothering them, and the neighbors* shrugged and said "It doesn't bother US."  This was a very small town in the 1960's, so there were no noise ordinances other than neighborhood disapproval.  I think if such surgery had been available, my mother would have been happy to put down cash for it.  Probably all the other neighbors, too.

*(Same neighbors also had a Perfect Child, who never did anything naughty like taking away the ladder that was the only access to our storage-room playhouse while we were playing in there... ::) )

I've never needed to "prove" I own my pets when taking them in for surgery (not that I've had my cats debarked  ;D ), as long as I was the one paying for the surgery and I put down the required deposit. How would one prove one owns a dog anyway? It's not like strays came with ownership papers.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8324 on: September 06, 2013, 06:20:14 AM »
There are a couple of coworkers that catch feral cats in their neighborhood and at the school. They have them vaccinated yearly and fixed as soon as they catch them. They don't have to prove ownership.

My question

How did I skin my knee without falling down? Came home from a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG day (Left house 5:00 am arrived home 8:00 pm because of open house). Getting undressed there is dried blood down my leg and my knee is skinned. It isn't a fissure from atopic - it is a typical skinned knee. I didn't fall down.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future