Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1087634 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8325 on: September 06, 2013, 11:00:57 AM »
Elfmama wrote:

"This was a very small town in the 1960's, so there were no noise ordinances other than neighborhood disapproval.  I think if such surgery had been available, my mother would have been happy to put down cash for it.  Probably all the other neighbors, too."

In a small town in the '60s I'm a bit surprised that nobody fixed the problem themselves, to be honest.  In most such places that dog would have "run away" in short order.

kherbert05 wrote:

"How did I skin my knee without falling down?"

You could have abraded it against something while you were walking.  Do you recall stumbling against anything or banging into a cabinet or something?

Virg

squeakers

« Reply #8326 on: September 07, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
Would a vet require proof of ownership before performing 'debarking' surgery on a dog?

Dogs who are debarked still make noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6fgssaxJBQ

I don't know why people get pets and then leave them outside.  It's not fair to the animals and not fair to the neighbors.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8327 on: September 07, 2013, 11:14:50 PM »
Does everyone call their cats with a high-pitched "Here, kitty kitty kitty?"  Why, if the cat has a name?  And I wonder why cats run to that.  My cats wouldn't know their names from the nose on their face, yet dash into the room at "Kitty"  ::)

Vall

« Reply #8328 on: September 08, 2013, 04:37:35 AM »
We have five kitties and when I want only one of them, I'll use their names.  Each of them knows their names.  Their names are all very different with different vowels sounds at the beginnings and ends (we stress the vowel sounds when calling them).  For example, when I call out "Ryback", "Zephyr" knows that I'm not calling him.  Of course, they may get curious why I want the other cat and come along to see.  Calling out "Kitties" gets all of them because we've trained them that way.  Well, that is if they want to come. ::)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8329 on: September 08, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »
Does everyone call their cats with a high-pitched "Here, kitty kitty kitty?"  Why, if the cat has a name?  And I wonder why cats run to that.  My cats wouldn't know their names from the nose on their face, yet dash into the room at "Kitty"  ::)

I think it's the tone/pitch they respond to with "Here kitty, kitty".  All mine know there names and nicknames and will come accordingly or at least acknowledge you with a glare.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Pen^2

« Reply #8330 on: September 08, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »
Our cat had an over-ambitious name akin to Ozymandias. I'd never give a child a weird name, but I put it that animals are fair game. She started responding to it a day after we found her--she'd come running if we called her name, but not if we said "cat!" or "annoying little poo machine!" or whatever we sometimes (uncharitably) called her. We never tried "kitty," but a guest we had over once said it in the usual tone to coerce her over to him but it didn't work. So I think it only works on the cats who learn it as a sound worth paying attention to, like their names and maybe the words for a few choice food items. Ozymandias knew what "roo meat" meant.

She knew my name and my husband's name, and possibly a few other words. I'm certain she knew "vet" because she'd hide if we said it in conversation to each other. If she was hungry for wet food and started mewing at my husband, he'd often just say "go and ask Pen," and she'd immediately trot over to me and annoy me instead. It worked both ways, but only with our names--we tested it with other words said in the same tone.

daen

« Reply #8331 on: September 08, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
I trained a kitten to come when I sang a particular song (a fragment of Rain rain beautiful rain by Ladysmith Black Mambazo), which worked quite well.

My current cat  responds to "Where's my Bear?" in a specific tone pattern. He responds much less to just "Bear" instead of "My Bear" because that's usually how I've referred to him when  I've talked to him. (The single-syllable explosion "BEAR!" when he's somewhere he shouldn't be will get an immediate reaction as well.)

My cousin had a specific call for all of her cats which wasn't the typical "here kitty kitty," and they all knew what it meant.

It's all about the association the cat has with the sound of the phrase. My other cat knows that "Do you want to come snuggle with me, sweetheart?" means that I'm about to lie down, and she is invited to come curl up on/beside my shoulder for a few minutes. It's always for her, never for Bear, and Bear never responds to it.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8332 on: September 08, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »
My cats are a mixed bag in what they respond to. ::) Rika and Branwen respond to both their names and their nicknames (fluff/butt and brat, respectively), but Sophie and Lily...well, they KNOW their names, they just won't respond to them unless they feel like it. Sophie does occasionally respond to "kitten" with the emphasis on the second syllable instead of the first, though, possibly just because of the sound.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

poundcake

« Reply #8333 on: September 08, 2013, 06:21:28 PM »
I trained a kitten to come when I sang a particular song (a fragment of Rain rain beautiful rain by Ladysmith Black Mambazo), which worked quite well.

Mine have a couple songs, too, which is great when you need to gather them in one place in order to put them in kennels for a trip to the vet.  >:D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8334 on: September 08, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »
Off the tails of my last nail polish question... (the alcohol trick worked - thank you Dazi! My polish doesn't peel anymore!)

Why is it that my polish keeps getting little bumps or bubbles in it no matter how I apply it? It's not too obvious with my usual favorites, but when I put on a more normal polish, it completely ruins the look.  :-\

I know I'm late to the party, but what's the alcohol trick? I've been wanting to paint my nails, but I never bother because I know it will only last 18 - 24 hours.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8335 on: September 08, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »
Off the tails of my last nail polish question... (the alcohol trick worked - thank you Dazi! My polish doesn't peel anymore!)

Why is it that my polish keeps getting little bumps or bubbles in it no matter how I apply it? It's not too obvious with my usual favorites, but when I put on a more normal polish, it completely ruins the look.  :-\

I know I'm late to the party, but what's the alcohol trick? I've been wanting to paint my nails, but I never bother because I know it will only last 18 - 24 hours.

Swab your nails and cuticles with rubbing alcohol before putting on your polish. It doesn't work on everyone though. :)

Carotte

« Reply #8336 on: September 08, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
Speaking of nails, mine have been peeling like crazy this past few months.
Yes, peeling, not even breaking. They break little pieces by little pieces and I'm left with anything from 100% to 25% of the nail original thickness (only on the end of course).
The nail hardener polish doesn't seem to do anything.
Does the olive oil thing works? I've been applying olive oil with a cotton ball once or twice a week, and does seems to be improving a little but I'm not sure.
Doing that everyday means I can't wear any polish (even the strengthener) because I'm afraid having to remove it everyday will just further damage them.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8337 on: September 08, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
Yes, peeling, not even breaking. They break little pieces by little pieces and I'm left with anything from 100% to 25% of the nail original thickness (only on the end of course).
Does the olive oil thing works? I've been applying olive oil with a cotton ball once or twice a week, and does seems to be improving a little but I'm not sure.
Doing that everyday means I can't wear any polish (even the strengthener) because I'm afraid having to remove it everyday will just further damage them.

I really must ask how old you are. Menopause and all of the changes that go along with it make a difference. The natural oils make a differerence and the dryness with advancing age all contribute.

I have known for many years that my nails are different in the summer an winter. I haven't figured out a schedule yet, so I do not when to switch care.

The only thing I can depend on consistently - for 11 years - is Nail Envy by OPI.

Lucas was not happy with the $15 a bottle at first, but even he came around!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8338 on: September 08, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »

I really must ask how old you are. Menopause and all of the changes that go along with it make a difference. The natural oils make a differerence and the dryness with advancing age all contribute.

I have known for many years that my nails are different in the summer an winter. I haven't figured out a schedule yet, so I do not when to switch care.

The only thing I can depend on consistently - for 11 years - is Nail Envy by OPI.

Mine used to peel like crazy too - in my case it was linked to vitamin deficiencies and overall bad health. It's a pain in the butt...

I think you'd probably be alright with daily removal of polish if you make sure to use a remover marked as "nourishing". The particular one I use has vitamin E (Le Techniq brand, I think it's a local thing) but some of them will also have gelatin and other strengtheners. Of course, you'd want to give it a week or so test run first - and if it makes things worse, stop immediately.

Carotte

« Reply #8339 on: September 09, 2013, 06:40:45 AM »

I really must ask how old you are. Menopause and all of the changes that go along with it make a difference. The natural oils make a difference and the dryness with advancing age all contribute.

I'm 25, so yeah, it's not that :)
It could be a vitamin deficiency I guess, my diet is not the best so I guess I'll just try to combine every tips and see how that goes.