Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 848620 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8340 on: September 08, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »
Off the tails of my last nail polish question... (the alcohol trick worked - thank you Dazi! My polish doesn't peel anymore!)

Why is it that my polish keeps getting little bumps or bubbles in it no matter how I apply it? It's not too obvious with my usual favorites, but when I put on a more normal polish, it completely ruins the look.  :-\

I know I'm late to the party, but what's the alcohol trick? I've been wanting to paint my nails, but I never bother because I know it will only last 18 - 24 hours.

Swab your nails and cuticles with rubbing alcohol before putting on your polish. It doesn't work on everyone though. :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Carotte

« Reply #8341 on: September 08, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
Speaking of nails, mine have been peeling like crazy this past few months.
Yes, peeling, not even breaking. They break little pieces by little pieces and I'm left with anything from 100% to 25% of the nail original thickness (only on the end of course).
The nail hardener polish doesn't seem to do anything.
Does the olive oil thing works? I've been applying olive oil with a cotton ball once or twice a week, and does seems to be improving a little but I'm not sure.
Doing that everyday means I can't wear any polish (even the strengthener) because I'm afraid having to remove it everyday will just further damage them.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8342 on: September 08, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
Yes, peeling, not even breaking. They break little pieces by little pieces and I'm left with anything from 100% to 25% of the nail original thickness (only on the end of course).
Does the olive oil thing works? I've been applying olive oil with a cotton ball once or twice a week, and does seems to be improving a little but I'm not sure.
Doing that everyday means I can't wear any polish (even the strengthener) because I'm afraid having to remove it everyday will just further damage them.

I really must ask how old you are. Menopause and all of the changes that go along with it make a difference. The natural oils make a differerence and the dryness with advancing age all contribute.

I have known for many years that my nails are different in the summer an winter. I haven't figured out a schedule yet, so I do not when to switch care.

The only thing I can depend on consistently - for 11 years - is Nail Envy by OPI.

Lucas was not happy with the $15 a bottle at first, but even he came around!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8343 on: September 08, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »

I really must ask how old you are. Menopause and all of the changes that go along with it make a difference. The natural oils make a differerence and the dryness with advancing age all contribute.

I have known for many years that my nails are different in the summer an winter. I haven't figured out a schedule yet, so I do not when to switch care.

The only thing I can depend on consistently - for 11 years - is Nail Envy by OPI.

Mine used to peel like crazy too - in my case it was linked to vitamin deficiencies and overall bad health. It's a pain in the butt...

I think you'd probably be alright with daily removal of polish if you make sure to use a remover marked as "nourishing". The particular one I use has vitamin E (Le Techniq brand, I think it's a local thing) but some of them will also have gelatin and other strengtheners. Of course, you'd want to give it a week or so test run first - and if it makes things worse, stop immediately.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Carotte

« Reply #8344 on: September 09, 2013, 06:40:45 AM »

I really must ask how old you are. Menopause and all of the changes that go along with it make a difference. The natural oils make a difference and the dryness with advancing age all contribute.

I'm 25, so yeah, it's not that :)
It could be a vitamin deficiency I guess, my diet is not the best so I guess I'll just try to combine every tips and see how that goes.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #8345 on: September 09, 2013, 06:54:27 AM »
Possibly silly question:

I noticed on a BBC news broadcast that a senior nurse was titled with "Matron". I was just wondering, if a male nurse achieves the same rank, is he also Matron, or does he get another title?
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8346 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:39 AM »
Carotte, you may be experiencing issues because of the polish itself.  I can't wear nail polish, except once in a blue moon, or I end up with seriously messed up nails.  Once your nails are better, see if you can find the kinds of polish that are less toxic.  They don't have toluene in them.  It takes forever for the polish to dry but it is better on your nails, and your overall health, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Anniissa

« Reply #8347 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
Possibly silly question:

I noticed on a BBC news broadcast that a senior nurse was titled with "Matron". I was just wondering, if a male nurse achieves the same rank, is he also Matron, or does he get another title?

Yes, there are far fewer male matrons but they are known by the same title.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8348 on: September 09, 2013, 10:35:53 AM »
Carotte, you may be experiencing issues because of the polish itself.  I can't wear nail polish, except once in a blue moon, or I end up with seriously messed up nails.  Once your nails are better, see if you can find the kinds of polish that are less toxic.  They don't have toluene in them.  It takes forever for the polish to dry but it is better on your nails, and your overall health, too.

I tried all kinds of nail polishes and hardeners when I was a kid, until I read somewhere that they damage the nail, and nail polish removers are very drying.  I'm already a desert-dry body, so I stopped polishing entirely, and my nails are much stronger and more stable now.
So all I do is buff.  No polish whatsoever, ever. 

Reader

« Reply #8349 on: September 10, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
I have a front entance rug, rectangular in shape just as you come in the front door.  One of the corners is currling up, and I've tried switching the rug around to see if was an issue with how we stepped on it as we came in, to even sitting my rock door stop on the corner overnight to weigh the corner down and to flatten it.  To no avail.  Is there something else I can try, or does anyone know why it's curling on only one corner?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8350 on: September 10, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »
Try steaming it, even with just a kettle, and then put the door stop on it overnight.  Might help relax the fibres and get it to lay flat.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #8351 on: September 10, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
I didn't want to hijack the Special Snowflake thread, but what is the difference between fiddling and violin-playing?  Is it just the type of music, or is it the technique?  Can you play both on the same instrument?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8352 on: September 10, 2013, 02:08:54 PM »
I didn't want to hijack the Special Snowflake thread, but what is the difference between fiddling and violin-playing?  Is it just the type of music, or is it the technique?  Can you play both on the same instrument?

Fiddle is basically folk or country music. I'm assuming that the teacher spoken about in the SS thread only thinks classical music should be played on violin - otherwise the player is stooping to play "lower" music. I assume he's also never tried to play in a fiddling contest either, because I've seen, attempted to play, and seen others play fiddle pieces that were as hard as any difficult classical piece, if not harder.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Xandraea

« Reply #8353 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »

Fiddle is basically folk or country music. I'm assuming that the teacher spoken about in the SS thread only thinks classical music should be played on violin - otherwise the player is stooping to play "lower" music. I assume he's also never tried to play in a fiddling contest either, because I've seen, attempted to play, and seen others play fiddle pieces that were as hard as any difficult classical piece, if not harder.

This guys explains it pretty well and also plays examples of both styles of music.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqTwnAuHws

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8354 on: September 10, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »
A friend of mine is a classical violinist. He refers to his quarter-million-dollar violin as a fiddle.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).