Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 839588 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8370 on: September 14, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »
Why does my bank waive certain account fees if there are sufficient direct deposits every month? The fee waiver for a particular checking account type requires maintaining a minimum balance of $X or having direct deposits of at least $Y each month. I understand why a minimum balance would be beneficial to the bank (the customer keeps more of their money in a non-interest-bearing account at the bank) but why do they reward direct deposits? Is there a direct benefit to the bank, are they correlated with other financial behavior that benefits the bank, or what?

Because you're not taking up a teller's time?  Or adding to the wear and tear on an ATM?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8371 on: September 14, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
Because with a weekly/bi-weekly direct deposit from an employer means that the account is active.

For some reason banks like active accounts.

I have a savings account that has been dormant for many years. I don't pay a fee for it because my other accounts meet the "standard non-fee" requirements. But every year I have to sign a paper due to non-activity on that account which says "Yes. This is my account."

I'm curious as to how others would respond, but I'm betting that it has something to do with the direct deposit puts the account into active status rather than a dead account.

ClaireC79

« Reply #8372 on: September 14, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »
Possibly silly question:

I noticed on a BBC news broadcast that a senior nurse was titled with "Matron". I was just wondering, if a male nurse achieves the same rank, is he also Matron, or does he get another title?

Males can be Matrons however only a female nurse will be known as 'Sister', male nurses at that grade are 'charge nurse'

Freaked me out the first time someone referred to me as 'sister', I was a newly qualified midwife but our uniforms were very similar to the sister uniform (ours were navy with pink piping, theirs were navy with white piping) as traditionally all midwives were sisters

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8373 on: September 14, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
I'm guessing banks like direct deposits because they create a barrier to the customer taking their business elsewhere.  It's nice and easy to have direct deposits and automatic payments set up, but if there's a problem - yeah, it's annoying to have to stop things, and the bank/company you're having a dispute with has no real incentive to expend energy to straighten things out.  But a customer with a direct deposit can't just say "I'm taking my ball and going home!" without having to jump through hoops, so is probably more willing to put up with little stuff that other customers won't.

(That's my guess, anyway!)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #8374 on: September 16, 2013, 08:44:36 AM »
Because with a weekly/bi-weekly direct deposit from an employer means that the account is active.

For some reason banks like active accounts.

I have a savings account that has been dormant for many years. I don't pay a fee for it because my other accounts meet the "standard non-fee" requirements. But every year I have to sign a paper due to non-activity on that account which says "Yes. This is my account."

I'm curious as to how others would respond, but I'm betting that it has something to do with the direct deposit puts the account into active status rather than a dead account.
If the account is dormant, but not abandoned, they don't have to remit the funds to the state. If they go to abandoned, they have to give the money to the state for their 'unclaimed funds' programs - which causes the bank some work, lowers the amount of their 'deposits on record' and reduces their number of open accounts - none of which are desirable, as the number of open accounts, and their total deposits amounts, are both indicators of the health of the institution for regulators and investors, and the way they do business (they can 'borrow' your deposits to use to invest/loan out if they meet certain conditions).

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8375 on: September 16, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
Slartibartfast is closest to the truth for direct deposit.  Direct deposit encourages customer loyalty.  The difficulty in closing the account is a small part of it, but the main reason is that you're more likely to go to your bank of account than elsewhere when you need a loan, and there's big money in consumer loans.  The fees they lose from a hundred direct deposit waivers can be made back from one mortgage or a few car loans, so it's good business.

Virg

DaisyG

« Reply #8376 on: September 16, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
Stupid multilingual question:

In languages which use gendered pronouns for objects (Spanish, French, Italian, etc.) - who determines whether new words are masculine or feminine?  I'd assume most normal words are based on centuries of tradition, but something like a modem or a blog wouldn't have that history.  And what about invented words, like Dr. Seuss?  If I declare that a huffletywub is a thing, do I get to pick the pronoun too?

Yup. Neologisms are usually gendered by their creator. As for other words, they generally tend to creep into common language and get whatever gender "sounds" right. Often, there is a period when both genders are in use, before one ends up dominating. It can depend on the word origin, on phonetics (if it ends in A, in portuguese, it will probably be feminine, if in O, masculine), etc.

The results aren't always consistent. In Portugal, computer (computadora) is feminine. In Brazil, computer (computador) is masculine.

In Spanish it's the other way round from Portuguese - i.e. in South America 'computadora' is  more widely used but in Spain it's 'ordenador'!

Carotte

« Reply #8377 on: September 17, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
Could someone enlighten me about what word in this forum is autochanged to "CRUD MONKEYS" ?
Most of the other auto-changes I can find out from the context but never this one.
PM me if it's really something we shouldn't say here, although I never got that impression from the context.

SlitherHiss

« Reply #8378 on: September 17, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
Could someone enlighten me about what word in this forum is autochanged to "CRUD MONKEYS" ?
Most of the other auto-changes I can find out from the context but never this one.
PM me if it's really something we shouldn't say here, although I never got that impression from the context.

CRUD MONKEYS! = the abreviation for Oh My God/dess/osh

magicdomino

« Reply #8379 on: September 17, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
But a few of us have started using "Crud monkeys!" without it being a substitute for anything.   :D

mmswm

« Reply #8380 on: September 17, 2013, 05:28:03 PM »
I use "Crud Monkeys!" on other forums and in real life now.  It seems a good exclamation to me.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8381 on: September 17, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »
I'll admit, I get a chuckle out of when people are typing too fast and accidentally put "W T H" instead of "with," because the forum changes it to "CRIVINS!".

cwm

« Reply #8382 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »
Crivins? That's AWESOME!

I also really like crud monkeys. It's just so inoffensive. I've started saying it at work, and though I get some weird looks, I can guarantee that I will not get in any sort of trouble because of language saying it.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8383 on: September 18, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
Crivins? That's AWESOME!

I also really like crud monkeys. It's just so inoffensive. I've started saying it at work, and though I get some weird looks, I can guarantee that I will not get in any sort of trouble because of language saying it.

"Crud monkeys" always gets Jonathan Coulton's "Code Monkey" in my head.  I end up singing "Crud monkey get coffee, crud monkey go to job . . ." in my head all day  :P

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8384 on: September 18, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »
Crivins? That's AWESOME!

"Crud monkeys" always gets Jonathan Coulton's "Code Monkey" in my head.  I end up singing "Crud monkey get coffee, crud monkey go to job . . ." in my head all day  :P

Oh no. Now it's stuck in MINE. Darnit, Slartibartfast!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!