Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1026424 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8370 on: September 16, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
Slartibartfast is closest to the truth for direct deposit.  Direct deposit encourages customer loyalty.  The difficulty in closing the account is a small part of it, but the main reason is that you're more likely to go to your bank of account than elsewhere when you need a loan, and there's big money in consumer loans.  The fees they lose from a hundred direct deposit waivers can be made back from one mortgage or a few car loans, so it's good business.

Virg

DaisyG

« Reply #8371 on: September 16, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
Stupid multilingual question:

In languages which use gendered pronouns for objects (Spanish, French, Italian, etc.) - who determines whether new words are masculine or feminine?  I'd assume most normal words are based on centuries of tradition, but something like a modem or a blog wouldn't have that history.  And what about invented words, like Dr. Seuss?  If I declare that a huffletywub is a thing, do I get to pick the pronoun too?

Yup. Neologisms are usually gendered by their creator. As for other words, they generally tend to creep into common language and get whatever gender "sounds" right. Often, there is a period when both genders are in use, before one ends up dominating. It can depend on the word origin, on phonetics (if it ends in A, in portuguese, it will probably be feminine, if in O, masculine), etc.

The results aren't always consistent. In Portugal, computer (computadora) is feminine. In Brazil, computer (computador) is masculine.

In Spanish it's the other way round from Portuguese - i.e. in South America 'computadora' is  more widely used but in Spain it's 'ordenador'!

Carotte

« Reply #8372 on: September 17, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
Could someone enlighten me about what word in this forum is autochanged to "CRUD MONKEYS" ?
Most of the other auto-changes I can find out from the context but never this one.
PM me if it's really something we shouldn't say here, although I never got that impression from the context.

SlitherHiss

« Reply #8373 on: September 17, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
Could someone enlighten me about what word in this forum is autochanged to "CRUD MONKEYS" ?
Most of the other auto-changes I can find out from the context but never this one.
PM me if it's really something we shouldn't say here, although I never got that impression from the context.

CRUD MONKEYS! = the abreviation for Oh My God/dess/osh

magicdomino

« Reply #8374 on: September 17, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
But a few of us have started using "Crud monkeys!" without it being a substitute for anything.   :D

mmswm

« Reply #8375 on: September 17, 2013, 05:28:03 PM »
I use "Crud Monkeys!" on other forums and in real life now.  It seems a good exclamation to me.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8376 on: September 17, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »
I'll admit, I get a chuckle out of when people are typing too fast and accidentally put "W T H" instead of "with," because the forum changes it to "CRIVINS!".

cwm

« Reply #8377 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »
Crivins? That's AWESOME!

I also really like crud monkeys. It's just so inoffensive. I've started saying it at work, and though I get some weird looks, I can guarantee that I will not get in any sort of trouble because of language saying it.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8378 on: September 18, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
Crivins? That's AWESOME!

I also really like crud monkeys. It's just so inoffensive. I've started saying it at work, and though I get some weird looks, I can guarantee that I will not get in any sort of trouble because of language saying it.

"Crud monkeys" always gets Jonathan Coulton's "Code Monkey" in my head.  I end up singing "Crud monkey get coffee, crud monkey go to job . . ." in my head all day  :P

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8379 on: September 18, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »
Crivins? That's AWESOME!

"Crud monkeys" always gets Jonathan Coulton's "Code Monkey" in my head.  I end up singing "Crud monkey get coffee, crud monkey go to job . . ." in my head all day  :P

Oh no. Now it's stuck in MINE. Darnit, Slartibartfast!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

oogyda

« Reply #8380 on: September 19, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
Slartibartfast is closest to the truth for direct deposit.  Direct deposit encourages customer loyalty.  The difficulty in closing the account is a small part of it, but the main reason is that you're more likely to go to your bank of account than elsewhere when you need a loan, and there's big money in consumer loans.  The fees they lose from a hundred direct deposit waivers can be made back from one mortgage or a few car loans, so it's good business.

Virg

I kind of figured it was just another *reason* to charge a fee.  They do like their fees.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8381 on: September 19, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
Crivins? That's AWESOME!

I like the Typography version.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8382 on: September 19, 2013, 11:32:56 AM »
Looking at the Hubble Deep-Field pictures got me to wondering.  How can astronomers state definitively that our Milky Way galaxy is a spiral galaxy and where we are in it?  No one has ever been outside it looking in, as it were.   It seems to me that it's the equivalent of a fish in the Pacific Ocean claiming to know how big it is and what land-masses it touches.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8383 on: September 19, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »
Crivins? That's AWESOME!

I like the Typography version.

Love it - especially the Facebook updates  :P

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8384 on: September 19, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
Looking at the Hubble Deep-Field pictures got me to wondering.  How can astronomers state definitively that our Milky Way galaxy is a spiral galaxy and where we are in it?  No one has ever been outside it looking in, as it were.   It seems to me that it's the equivalent of a fish in the Pacific Ocean claiming to know how big it is and what land-masses it touches.

First off, there's a finite number of galaxy shapes out there, and we've seen spiral galaxies head-on so we know what they look like.  Secondly, the shape of a spiral galaxy is consistent with what we can see from our own planet.  And third, it also fits with the placement and speeds of the other systems we can measure from here - things we can measure the vectors of are moving in the speeds and directions a spiral galaxy would explain them moving.  Of course it's always possible we're part of a hitherto-unknown galaxy formation not repeated anywhere near enough for us to see or measure, which looks and acts like a spiral galaxy does from our specific viewpoint, but the spiral galaxy theory is much more likely  :)