Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1053365 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8400 on: September 22, 2013, 08:04:36 PM »
The kosher restriction against milk with meat: how far does it go?  Can chicken or fish be served with milk or cheese, or does it apply to all living creatures?  And if it only applies to mammals, could you get around it by only drinking and eating milk products from cows, but never eating beef? 

(Why, yes, I in fact did have insomnia last night. :P )

According to certain relatives who keep kosher, turkey lasagna with cheese is perfectly fine.  According to their belief, 'fleisch' comes from mammals that 'chew the cud'.  Poultry isn't considered meat and can be eaten with dairy. 

In the Catholic tradition, things were a little bit different.  Any creature that was warm-blooded was considered meat and couldn't be eaten on Catholic fast days. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8401 on: September 22, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
The kosher restriction against milk with meat: how far does it go?  Can chicken or fish be served with milk or cheese, or does it apply to all living creatures?  And if it only applies to mammals, could you get around it by only drinking and eating milk products from cows, but never eating beef? 

According to certain relatives who keep kosher, turkey lasagna with cheese is perfectly fine.  According to their belief, 'fleisch' comes from mammals that 'chew the cud'.  Poultry isn't considered meat and can be eaten with dairy. 

In the Catholic tradition, things were a little bit different.  Any creature that was warm-blooded was considered meat and couldn't be eaten on Catholic fast days.

Depends greatly on the person in question, just like Christian prohibitions against dancing, alcohol, instrumental music, etc. are okay in some churches/denominations and not others.  The kosher dining facility at my university (Jewish life center) was very specific about some days being dairy-only and some days being meat-only, to avoid any issues with stricter interpretations of dietary laws.  (They also did have completely separate kitchens for the two, so that was probably an issue as well - not enough staff for both kitchens on the same night!)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8402 on: September 22, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »

Unless it was certain parts of the Middle Ages.   Dolphins/porpoises were considered 'fish' because they swam in the water.  Most geese were meat, except for one that was called a 'barnacle goose' which was believed to develop from driftwood!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #8403 on: September 23, 2013, 12:25:49 AM »
The kosher rules are complicated, and as noted are interpreted differently by different people, but fish doesn't count as meat for those purposes: it can be served with meat or with milk. (The category is called "pareve" and also includes fruit, vegetables, grain, and eggs.)

Now, to complicate the explanation: some fish aren't kosher at all (I think it has something to do with the scales), and the things that we call "shellfish," such as shrimp, lobster, and crabs, are neither fish nor kosher. But if a fish is kosher, the kosher rules allow it to be served with either milk or meat.

(Note: I am not remotely observant, but I've had relatives who kept kosher, and my girlfriend follows the rules to do with seafood, so I know a little about it.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8404 on: September 23, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »
Egg whites should be whipped in a glass or metal bowl. Plastic bowls tend to have some property that keeps the egg whites from whipping properly. I always add a bit of Cream of Tartar to the egg whites as well to help them keep their buoyancy. I recommend using a light hand and a thin spatula for the folding process.

Xandraea

« Reply #8405 on: September 23, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
Egg whites should be whipped in a glass or metal bowl. Plastic bowls tend to have some property that keeps the egg whites from whipping properly. I always add a bit of Cream of Tartar to the egg whites as well to help them keep their buoyancy. I recommend using a light hand and a thin spatula for the folding process.

I think this is because metal or glass stays colder, which assists in making eggs light and airy.

Minmom3

« Reply #8406 on: September 23, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »
It's my understanding that it's also because the plastic bowl is nearly impossible to fully degrease.  I've run plastic bowls through a dishwasher and still had some grease remain on them - which interferes with the fluffing of the whites.

OT - plastic is VERY hard to clean.  Many cats get acne on their chins due to the difficulty of really cleaning off those bowls.  Even when run through the dishwasher frequently, enough bacteria can remain on the bowls to cause problems, due to the porosity of the surface.  Glass, ceramic or steel bowls are not that porous, hence easier to really clean off.  Plastic has its uses, don't get me wrong (there's plenty of it in MY home...) but it also has its limits.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Snooks

« Reply #8407 on: September 23, 2013, 01:14:34 PM »

I suspect the light hand is my problem!  I will take on board everyone's advice. When Googling I found a suggestion tofold with a balloon whisk to keep the air in so maybe I'll try that too.

OT I'm sad about the cats with acne.

wheeitsme

« Reply #8408 on: September 23, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »

I suspect the light hand is my problem!  I will take on board everyone's advice. When Googling I found a suggestion tofold with a balloon whisk to keep the air in so maybe I'll try that too.

OT I'm sad about the cats with acne.

Also, if you are folding beaten egg whites and dry ingredients like flour, it's best to sift some of the dry ingredients onto the whites, fold until slightly incorporated, then more.  I prefer 2-3 siftings, tops.

dawnfire

« Reply #8409 on: September 23, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »

plastic bowls can absorb, flavors and oils from previous usages

Mrs T

« Reply #8410 on: September 24, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »
This might belong in the Transatlantic Knowledge thread, but it really is a stupid question, so hopefully it also fits here.

On a recent vacation in the US, Mr T was quite fascinated by the difference in the postal delivery system between "here" and "there". The biggest difference is the use of mailboxes at the ends of driveways to receive incoming mail (in the UK most houses have a letterbox in the front door, so post is delivered straight inside).

He wanted to know what stops the mail from being stolen out of the mailboxes after it has been delivered?

squeakers

« Reply #8411 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »
This might belong in the Transatlantic Knowledge thread, but it really is a stupid question, so hopefully it also fits here.

On a recent vacation in the US, Mr T was quite fascinated by the difference in the postal delivery system between "here" and "there". The biggest difference is the use of mailboxes at the ends of driveways to receive incoming mail (in the UK most houses have a letterbox in the front door, so post is delivered straight inside).

He wanted to know what stops the mail from being stolen out of the mailboxes after it has been delivered?

Nothing except it is a federal offense if you are caught stealing mail. "Stealing mail is considered a federal offense. The penalty for stealing mail may include a costly fine and jail time. The fine can cost up to $250,000 and the jail time can total to around five years." http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-penalty-for-stealing-mail
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8412 on: September 24, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »

We have neighborhood mailboxes.  What keeps the mail from getting stolen is that all of the mailboxes are locked.  We have a key to open our mailbox.

Betelnut

« Reply #8413 on: September 24, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »

Nada.  Someone could easily steal my mail.  I do have packages delivered to my work which eases the mind a bit.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Carotte

« Reply #8414 on: September 24, 2013, 12:36:10 PM »
First I needed to say, I love love this thread, you learn so much even about things you never wondered about it's great !

Now to my question, when is the best moment for a quick workout?
In a fit of enthusiasm I've decided that I'll try and keep a (at least at first) quick and basic workout with a few basic fitness exercises (those 5/10 minutes routines ones).
I have all day free to do that whenever I want, but is there a best moment to do it? Before/after a meal?
I guess not right after but I have low blood sugar problems so I cannot picture myself doing it without having eaten breakfast...

I'm also in front of the computer most of the day, any tips or website about exercices and stretches to do during breaks?