Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1002699 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8415 on: September 24, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »
I don't know the scientific answer, but what works for me is to have a small amount of food, then to work out, and then to follow it with some kind of protein and carbohydrate combination. So, usually I make a protein shake in the morning (banana, protein powder, yogurt, berries, oatmeal, and maybe some spinach leaves), drink 1/3 of it right away, get my kids ready to go, etc, then go work out. Afterwards, I drink the rest of the shake. Or, I'll go for a run at night a couple hours after dinner, and have some cheese and an apple after. I never go without some kind of fuel. This works for a lot of people, but it just makes me feel shaky and weak. I need to have at least half a banana or something if I'm going first thing in the morning.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Tea Drinker

« Reply #8416 on: September 24, 2013, 05:27:45 PM »
First I needed to say, I love love this thread, you learn so much even about things you never wondered about it's great !

Now to my question, when is the best moment for a quick workout?
In a fit of enthusiasm I've decided that I'll try and keep a (at least at first) quick and basic workout with a few basic fitness exercises (those 5/10 minutes routines ones).
I have all day free to do that whenever I want, but is there a best moment to do it? Before/after a meal?
I guess not right after but I have low blood sugar problems so I cannot picture myself doing it without having eaten breakfast...

I'm also in front of the computer most of the day, any tips or website about exercices and stretches to do during breaks?

For me the main thing is not right after a meal, but also not to be ravenous--I sometimes will eat a small piece of fruit before exercising, and half an hour after breakfast is enough to settle my stomach for a workout.

I generally find I'm more likely to exercise early in the day, but that's very much an individual thing.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Bluenomi

« Reply #8417 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:03 PM »
This might belong in the Transatlantic Knowledge thread, but it really is a stupid question, so hopefully it also fits here.

On a recent vacation in the US, Mr T was quite fascinated by the difference in the postal delivery system between "here" and "there". The biggest difference is the use of mailboxes at the ends of driveways to receive incoming mail (in the UK most houses have a letterbox in the front door, so post is delivered straight inside).

He wanted to know what stops the mail from being stolen out of the mailboxes after it has been delivered?

See I found getting mail put through the front door odd! When I lived in the UK it really freaked my out, partly because the postie had to walk past my bedroom window early in the morning to do it. He was a chatty man as well, I often wondered how long it took him to do his route.

JoW

« Reply #8418 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:47 PM »
This might belong in the Transatlantic Knowledge thread, but it really is a stupid question, so hopefully it also fits here.

On a recent vacation in the US, Mr T was quite fascinated by the difference in the postal delivery system between "here" and "there". The biggest difference is the use of mailboxes at the ends of driveways to receive incoming mail (in the UK most houses have a letterbox in the front door, so post is delivered straight inside).

He wanted to know what stops the mail from being stolen out of the mailboxes after it has been delivered?
Mail does get stolen, but its usually outgoing mail.  We can mail things from roadside mailboxes.  Just put up the red flag on the side so the carrier knows you have something going out.  In my area we've had a number of mail thefts, mostly outgoing mortgage payments or other payments.  The thieves have figured out how to erase all but the signature on those checks, then write in new information and steal your money.  Now most people around here mail bills from work or put them in the large collection boxes located outside some businesses. 

Like someone else said - valuable items often come by UPS or some other private delivery system.  They come to the door.  If you are not home when the delivery is made they may leave a note where to call to get the package delivered, or they may leave the package near the door or with a neighbor and leave you a note telling you where the package is. 

The mail delivered to roadside mail boxes is mostly bills and advertising fliers with a few magazines.  There's so little of value most thieves don't bother. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8419 on: September 24, 2013, 11:42:55 PM »
Some older houses in the US still have the in-door mail slot. But for some reason, the Post Office doesn't seem to want to use them. My uncle has a perfect good mail slot in his front door and got his mail through it for decades, but recently had to put a mail box on his house. There's a mail slot in my front door and I'd be happy to get mail there, but the Post Office wants a mail box out by the street.

In older neighborhoods, the mail carrier walks from house to house and puts the mail in a mailbox that is attached to the house, usually near the front door. While people could steal from those, you had to walk up to the front door to do so, and neighbors could see you. That might have been something of a deterrent.

The Post Office is moving more and more towards having the mail carriers deliver the mail while driving. The mail boxes out at the end of the driveway by the street work well for this. In some neighborhoods and apartment complexes, all the mailboxes are placed out at the entrance to the neighborhood/complex, like this:

http://www.sepco-solarlighting.com/blog/bid/107915/Subdivision-Mailbox-Solar-Lighting-to-Show-Green-Initiative

The mail carrier can drive up and deliver the mail without getting out of the truck.

There used to be a problem with thieves targeting the mail the day Social Security checks were delivered, but now that is all done by direct deposit.

While it might be sad that a birthday card or letter got stolen, there's no huge loss. The main thing that would be stolen these days is packages, and those could be delivered by the Post Office, UPS or Fedex. The latter two are not allowed to use mail boxes.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8420 on: September 25, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »
My parents' area have mailboxes on the front of the house, next to the door. The carrier has to park and walk to deliver the mail.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8421 on: September 25, 2013, 08:36:52 AM »
I've seen and had various kinds of mailbox locations. We've done the apartment thing, with the boxes on the first floor and a key to get into them.  My parent's street had a large box with a bunch of smaller, lockable boxes where everyone picked up their mail.

Our mailbox is on our porch, right next to our door, and most homes around here have mailboxes either on their front porch or on the exterior wall next to the front door. 

I've also seen some with the mailbox on a post in front of the house, so it varies.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8422 on: September 25, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
I grew up in the country, and the post carrier had to drive from house to house, so we had a mail box by the driveway.  There were all kinds of rules about what kind it could be, how it was set up, and to make sure it was cleared promptly when it snowed. Digging out the mailbox was always the first shoveling job.

Then I lived in a town that was so small that nobody had a mailbox, and we all had to go to the local post office to get our mail.  All 800 of us. 

Most of the time, I've lived in apartments with locking mailboxes, but there has been more than one time when a package was too big for the box.  The carrier is supposed to leave a note and take the package back to the post office for pickup, but a lot of times they leave the package by the door and knock.   I'm usually at work, so I find the package leaning against my door when I get home.   I've had a lot of mail stolen that way, when I lived in places that weren't entirely safe.  Now I live in a complex where all too-big mail goes to the apartment complex office, and they hold it for us.  No more problems with sticky-fingered neighbors.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8423 on: September 25, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
The mail delivery people walk to deliver mail door to door and I've noticed they typically drive station wagons/small vans around with the USPS logo on the side.  They'll park them at one spot and walk to deliver the mail to the homes in that area and then drive to another spot and take care of that section.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8424 on: September 25, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »
I keep reading about having paint colours mixed up specially in shops.  Is that common in America?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8425 on: September 25, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

"I keep reading about having paint colours mixed up specially in shops.  Is that common in America?"

It's so common that most big home stores won't do it any other way except for stuff like spray paint.  All of the house paint and such is white and if you pick another color, they have a machine that drops measured amounts of dye into the white to turn it the right color.

Virg

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8426 on: September 25, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »
The USA postal service is no longer government supported - hasn't been for decades.  They are trying to figure out how to keep going without raising the postage - but they have lost so many paid services that OTHER companies now provide with faster & more reliable results (Fed Ex, UPS, and even email or fax machines).

The door to door delivery route is the most expensive - so they are trying to get rid of it and go to a drive by mail box on a post or a neighborhood lock box for apartment houses and newer developments. 

The other thing about door to door delivery is that you need a sidewalk for the delivery person's safety - those aren't routinely being built any more either...

The local neighborhood lock box has larger boxes for the delivery of packages - but so many keys have been lost or broken that they can no longer be used without rekeying - and they'd run out of money to rekey back in April...so - we find packages on our front porches, by the door - if we're lucky, behind a brick pillar or planter so it isn't obvious that something is just sitting THERE. 

And they don't have the time to ring the door bell more than one brief press - so you have to check the porch if you've been gone or aren't sure if you heard anything....because that one brief press might be enough the door bell to go "ri..." instead of "ring".

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:48:50 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8427 on: September 25, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »
And they don't have the time to ring the door bell more than one brief press - so you have to check the porch if you've been gone or aren't sure if you heard anything....because that one brief press might be enough the door bell to go "ri..." instead of "ring".

I have no doorbell, and I do have problems with your average person knocking as if they were afraid that someone was going to hear them, but Not with the postal service!!  Both UPS and USPS knock as if they're trying to batter down the door, and I can hear them from the farthest back part of my apartment, in a dead sleep, with the shower running.   

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8428 on: September 25, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Growing up, we lived in a rural area. Our mailbox was by our driveway but that was almost a 1/4 mile from the house. The mailman drove from mailbox to mailbox dropping off mail.

In apartments and townhomes I lived in, we had community locking mailboxes.

In our last home, we had a mail slot in our door. In this house we have a mailbox by our front door. This neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks and the mailman usually just walks across the lawns from door to door. He parks his car in front of our house (best shade). We have approximately 30 homes on our street and I think it takes him 30 to 45 minutes per day.

At my MIL, she has a regular neighborhood lot but they all have mailboxes in the front and the mailman drives to each dropping off mail.

One of the reasons my DH dislikes the "new" neighorhoods being built in our city for the last 20 years is that they have community mailboxes which he has a weird hangup about.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8429 on: September 25, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

"I keep reading about having paint colours mixed up specially in shops.  Is that common in America?"

It's so common that most big home stores won't do it any other way except for stuff like spray paint.  All of the house paint and such is white and if you pick another color, they have a machine that drops measured amounts of dye into the white to turn it the right color.

Virg

Most places have an even better feature. We can choose from the available formulas or bring in a color sample - drapes, upholstery, even a picture if there seems to be 1/2 inch square of one color, a paint chip, a stick painted with a color from another company or no longer on the formula list - and it is put under a viewer and the machines figures out the formula. It works quite well. We matched an old green that way, and recently the background of old wallpaper that we wanted to leave up.