Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1058143 times)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8430 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

"I keep reading about having paint colours mixed up specially in shops.  Is that common in America?"

It's so common that most big home stores won't do it any other way except for stuff like spray paint.  All of the house paint and such is white and if you pick another color, they have a machine that drops measured amounts of dye into the white to turn it the right color.

Virg

I thought everyone did it this way :-)!  I presume it's because the store only needs to stock the "tint base" and you can make thousands of colours out of it.  For example, Benjamin Moore says they have over 3,400 colours, including 164 shades of white.  Can you imagine having to stock that many cans of paint?!  Just in case someone wants "Corinthian White" rather than "Montgomery White"?

How do they do it where you are, RingTailedLemur?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8431 on: September 25, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

"I keep reading about having paint colours mixed up specially in shops.  Is that common in America?"

It's so common that most big home stores won't do it any other way except for stuff like spray paint.  All of the house paint and such is white and if you pick another color, they have a machine that drops measured amounts of dye into the white to turn it the right color.

Virg

I thought everyone did it this way :-)!  I presume it's because the store only needs to stock the "tint base" and you can make thousands of colours out of it.  For example, Benjamin Moore says they have over 3,400 colours, including 164 shades of white.  Can you imagine having to stock that many cans of paint?!  Just in case someone wants "Corinthian White" rather than "Montgomery White"?

I think you can get special colours mixed up in some places.  Other than than the shops just stock a range of colours .  I guess if they don't have one you specifically want in stock they could order it in.

I've only ever bought the colour I want off a shelf (I generally have a rough idea of what sort of colour I want in mind, then see what the shop has).  I've never seen paint being mixed.

squeakers

« Reply #8432 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

Virg

I think you can get special colours mixed up in some places.  Other than than the shops just stock a range of colours .  I guess if they don't have one you specifically want in stock they could order it in.

I've only ever bought the colour I want off a shelf (I generally have a rough idea of what sort of colour I want in mind, then see what the shop has).  I've never seen paint being mixed.

Now you can say you have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61lW-UkGvpw

I love the internet!
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Carotte

« Reply #8433 on: September 25, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »
Our big home improvement stores don't have house name brand, so when there is a paint mixing station it's still one from a paint brand.
That paint brand will most likely also have their product on shelf, along with several other brands.
Quite frankly when I had to chose a new color for my bedroom I only looked at one brands catalogue (I only made sure it was the same price range as the other brands) or you are quickly overwhelmed, and picked up a 5/8 of a gallon off the shelf, same for the primer.
They can probably order it with you want 'pastel lilac' from brandX and they do carry brandX, they just don't have 'pastel lilac' in stock.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #8434 on: September 25, 2013, 03:18:35 PM »
Thanks, everyone  :)

Carotte

« Reply #8435 on: September 25, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »

I love the internet!

Annnd, I'm off to watch a few hours of 'How it's made' videos  ::)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8436 on: September 25, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »

I love the internet!

Annnd, I'm off to watch a few hours of 'How it's made' videos  ::)

You and me both, Carotte...Science has nearly stopped showing it and I need my fix! ;)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Snooks

« Reply #8437 on: September 25, 2013, 05:04:17 PM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

Virg

B&Q and Homebase both mix paint in the UK.  I think all of the paints I've used have been mixed.  My bedroom at home is something like "Creamy Linen No 4" where there were 6 different shades of creamy linen.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #8438 on: September 25, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
Yep, all the bigger stores in the UK mix paints - we have several specially mixed ones the walls and they cost the same as the off the shelve ones do.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #8439 on: September 25, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »
I've done most of my house in Wilkinsons own brand   :-[

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8440 on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »
Our big home improvement stores don't have house name brand, so when there is a paint mixing station it's still one from a paint brand.
That paint brand will most likely also have their product on shelf, along with several other brands.
Quite frankly when I had to chose a new color for my bedroom I only looked at one brands catalogue (I only made sure it was the same price range as the other brands) or you are quickly overwhelmed, and picked up a 5/8 of a gallon off the shelf, same for the primer.
They can probably order it with you want 'pastel lilac' from brandX and they do carry brandX, they just don't have 'pastel lilac' in stock.

Even our fairly small, non-chain hardware store mixes paint to order.  That's just a given here. 

BTW, the strips of paint samples make neat bookmarks.  If you're obsessed you can select a strip of colors that coordinate with the cover of the book you're reading.  Of course, I don't know of anyone who actually does that.   ::)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8441 on: September 25, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »

Even our fairly small, non-chain hardware store mixes paint to order.  That's just a given here. 
It's a lot less shelf space devoted to paint when they're mixed to order.  Consider: if you have just 10 pre-mixed colors, times the four common finishes (flat, eggshell, satin, and semi-gloss) times gallons and pints (OK, the metric people can substitutes liters for the pint cans -- do y'all have larger cans, hold about 4 liters?) that's 80 cans of paint that you have to find room for.  And I see that I forgot that you need both interior and exterior paint, so double that. 160 cans of paint. That's if your store only carries one brand of paint.  Usually they have at least two.

Mixed to order: light base, medium base, deep base x 4 finishes x pints/gallon x exterior/interior = 48 cans of paint, not 160.

What's cool is that in the last couple of years, they've started selling little sample jars for about $3, also mixed to order.  You take it home, slap it on the wall, and you can see just how BRIGHT that blue is, which you can't really tell from the little sample chip.  (Why, no our house wasn't a landmark BLUE house, why do you ask?)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Iris

« Reply #8442 on: September 25, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

Virg

Most places have an even better feature. We can choose from the available formulas or bring in a color sample - drapes, upholstery, even a picture if there seems to be 1/2 inch square of one color, a paint chip, a stick painted with a color from another company or no longer on the formula list - and it is put under a viewer and the machines figures out the formula. It works quite well. We matched an old green that way, and recently the background of old wallpaper that we wanted to leave up.

Just to add to the picture this is the way that they do it in Australia as well. There are about 3 or 4 shades of base and they mix it from there.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

magicdomino

« Reply #8443 on: September 26, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
Plus, it is fun to read the paint color names on the sample cards.  I'm still trying to figure out why the very pale yellow paint I used on the basement ceiling was named "Ruffled Clam"?  "Water Sprout" (medium yellow green)?  Makes sense.  "Vanilla Milkshake" (pale yellow)?  Looks more French vanilla with an extra egg yolk or two, but that's fine.  "Ruffled Clam" confuses me, even if I like it as a ceiling color.

Pen^2

« Reply #8444 on: September 26, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
Plus, it is fun to read the paint color names on the sample cards.  I'm still trying to figure out why the very pale yellow paint I used on the basement ceiling was named "Ruffled Clam"?  "Water Sprout" (medium yellow green)?  Makes sense.  "Vanilla Milkshake" (pale yellow)?  Looks more French vanilla with an extra egg yolk or two, but that's fine.  "Ruffled Clam" confuses me, even if I like it as a ceiling color.

Some Ruffled clams are yellowish-cream, so maybe that's why.

And I also love the weird names they choose. I want the job of whoever is responsible for that.