Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1085902 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8445 on: September 26, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »

And I also love the weird [color] names they choose. I want the job of whoever is responsible for that.

My prefered toenail polish is "Aphrodite's Pink Nightie."  I pulled it off the rack because I like the color, and I stick with it for the name.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8446 on: September 26, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
OPI has the best names for their nail polish shades!

Some of my favorites:

I'm not really a waitress
Russian Navy
Suzi sells sushi by the seashore

http://www.opi.com/

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8447 on: September 26, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »

And I also love the weird [color] names they choose. I want the job of whoever is responsible for that.

My prefered toenail polish is "Aphrodite's Pink Nightie."  I pulled it off the rack because I like the color, and I stick with it for the name.

HA!  That my favorite OPI color too.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bluenomi

« Reply #8448 on: September 26, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »
Plus, it is fun to read the paint color names on the sample cards.  I'm still trying to figure out why the very pale yellow paint I used on the basement ceiling was named "Ruffled Clam"?  "Water Sprout" (medium yellow green)?  Makes sense.  "Vanilla Milkshake" (pale yellow)?  Looks more French vanilla with an extra egg yolk or two, but that's fine.  "Ruffled Clam" confuses me, even if I like it as a ceiling color.

The colour of our feature wall in the lounge room may have been chosen because of the word chocolate in it's name...

Elisabunny

« Reply #8449 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »

Some of my favorites:

Russian Navy

I may just have to start wearing nail polish....
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8450 on: September 27, 2013, 07:10:09 AM »

Some of my favorites:

Russian Navy

I may just have to start wearing nail polish....

I really like Gouda Gouda Two Shoes as well.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8451 on: September 27, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
Okay, here's a dumb one. A really dumb one.

My toilet's decided to be cranky on occasion. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes after I flush, it'll randomly start running for a few seconds, stop, run, stop, run, stop, and while it's not running there is a small sound of trickling water in the tank. I can only assume the flapper seal is not right, but that's where it gets odd - manually adjusting the flapper by sticking my hand in the tank doesn't work, I can only flush again and hope it'll seat correctly. (Or, um, become very frustrated and give the tank lid a good hard wallop. That seemed to fix it a couple nights ago, when I couldn't get to sleep thanks to it running!)

Can I fix this without replacing the flapper or O-rings, or is it pretty much toast?
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #8452 on: September 27, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »

My toilet's decided to be cranky on occasion. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes after I flush, it'll randomly start running for a few seconds, stop, run, stop, run, stop, and while it's not running there is a small sound of trickling water in the tank. I can only assume the flapper seal is not right, but that's where it gets odd - manually adjusting the flapper by sticking my hand in the tank doesn't work, I can only flush again and hope it'll seat correctly. (Or, um, become very frustrated and give the tank lid a good hard wallop. That seemed to fix it a couple nights ago, when I couldn't get to sleep thanks to it running!)

Can I fix this without replacing the flapper or O-rings, or is it pretty much toast?

The flapper thingies are pretty inexpensive. Sometimes, when my toilet has done this, it's been because the chain that lifts the flapper thingy was kinked funny or caught on something. So you might try checking that first.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8453 on: September 27, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »

The flapper thingies are pretty inexpensive. Sometimes, when my toilet has done this, it's been because the chain that lifts the flapper thingy was kinked funny or caught on something. So you might try checking that first.

I did check - the chain seems to be fine.

Oddly enough, it was just running while I was waiting for the toilet bowl cleaner to sit a bit. I scrubbed the bowl, gave the brush handle a couple of good whacks on the rim of the bowl (so it wouldn't drip) and the tank gurgled and it quit running! Apparently concussive maintenance works somehow!

I do know I need to get a new flapper eventually, installing it is just going to be the interesting part...I haven't the slightest idea how and the one person in this household who does rarely has any free time. :-\

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #8454 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
It's not too hard. There should be some videos you could look at on YouTube.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8455 on: September 27, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
I never thought of that. Might have to look into it!

Xandraea

« Reply #8456 on: September 27, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »

Some of my favorites:

Russian Navy

I like "Nice Color, Eh?" (except they forgot the u in colour),
"Teal the Cows Come Home"
"Pink Before You Leap"
"Electric Eel" (Looks great over "Charged Up Cherry"!)

Betelnut

« Reply #8457 on: September 27, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
Another dumb, dumb question:  One of my car's hubcaps got dented and ripped off yesterday.  I'm reluctant to put the dented/twisted one back on as I'm afraid it will rip the tire.

1.  There's no reason I can't simply drive without a hubcap, right?
2.  Can I buy a new hubcap just from an auto part store, like AutoZone?

Thanks.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8458 on: September 27, 2013, 08:34:28 PM »
Hubcaps are only decorative. You would probably have to buy a new set of hubcaps so they all match. I would pull them all off for now.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8459 on: September 27, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »
Another dumb, dumb question:  One of my car's hubcaps got dented and ripped off yesterday.  I'm reluctant to put the dented/twisted one back on as I'm afraid it will rip the tire.

1.  There's no reason I can't simply drive without a hubcap, right?
2.  Can I buy a new hubcap just from an auto part store, like AutoZone?

Thanks.

1. No reason at all. Like ladyknight1 said, hubcaps are purely decorative.

Depending on the damage, you can try to reshape your old hubcap with gentle hammer-bangings in order to get it to fit back in place. No worries about damaging the tire because the hubcaps fit on the rim of the wheel and do not touch the tire at all.

2. Depending on the make/model of your car, you might be able to find a new hubcap from AutoZone or some such place or they could probably order a new matching one for you. Maybe check with your car dealership or even, better yet (probably cheaper), call a junk-yard.

It all depends on aesthetics. Does it matter to you what your car looks like with a missing hubcap? How much are you willing to spend? A missing hubcap does not affect the car's performance at all.