Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1058390 times)

JoW

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8580 on: October 12, 2013, 10:29:49 PM »
Glasses with larger lenses are still available, even if they are not fashionable.  The salesperson you are working with will probably steer you to the fashionable small lenses.  I politely fight back. 
I have to have large lenses so I can have some peripheral vision for driving.  Also, I wear no-line bifocals and to get a reasonable amount of space in each part those lenses have to be taller than is now fashionable. 

I've worn glasses long enough that I have a pretty good idea what shape of frame looks best on me.  While wearing my older glasses I find that frame shape and size.  I'm nearsighted so I try on those frames with my nose about a foot from the mirror. 

Then there are the safety glasses I have to wear at work.   I pick the frames closest to the ones I get for my regular glasses.  Then the optician adds the side shields.  Yes, they are ugly.  But all my coworkers are wearing equally ugly glasses, and that makes it tolerable. 

Rohanna

« Reply #8581 on: October 13, 2013, 08:39:38 AM »
Vall- my friend with terrible eyesight just uses her camera phone or a friends to take pics of herself in the frames, then looks at herself in the pics with her good glasses on :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Vall

« Reply #8582 on: October 14, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies!  I like the camera idea.  I don't have a cell phone but who knows---by the time my eyes get that bad, maybe I'll break down and finally get one (I've never had a reason to get one before).  And I have a digital camera or two.

The last time I got glasses I had problems with the small, fashionable frames available for women.  They just don't look good on everyone--especially me.  So I went over to the men's frames.  The larger frames fit my face much better and no one knows the difference.  They give me more room for my no-line bifocals.

GreenHall

« Reply #8583 on: October 14, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »
I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious, but in the updated Kindle app for iPad, I can add bookmarks, but I cannot figure out how to access bookmarks.  Any help would be appreciated (and then I will likely feel really silly for missing it.)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #8584 on: October 14, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
For eyewear I ended up asking the clerks as I had no idea what looked best. I DID notice that with my round head, putting on round-framed glasses made me look like a Minion, and I quickly ruled those out.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8585 on: October 17, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
Does anyone know the best way to remove the logo placard from an item like this:

I want to remove it (dissolve the glue I guess) without harming the actual object.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8586 on: October 17, 2013, 03:50:57 PM »
Would oiling be OK for the board?  If so, vegetable or olive oil might help remove the glue residue.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #8587 on: October 17, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
I can't imagine oil wouldn't be ok... I'll try that.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8588 on: October 17, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
I'm this >< close to giving up on baking anything containing egg whites.  eHellions please help me, I'm obviously doing something stupid when it comes to dealing with them.

Recipe 1 - custard tart required me to fold beaten egg whites into egg yolk/sugar mix - served my family lumpy custard tart for Easter
Recipe 2 - lemon macaroons required me to fold flour and ground almonds into egg whites - baked myself some stick pancakes

When a recipe calls for me to fold something in, is there any reason that I can't use my electric whisk?

How beaten are the egg whites to begin with?  My daughter attempted an angel food cake and she used the whisk attachment on the blender, and to her the looked beaten, but in reality there was much non-beaten eggs in there as well.   We still enjoyed the custard brick.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8589 on: October 17, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
Does anyone know the best way to remove the logo placard from an item like this:

I want to remove it (dissolve the glue I guess) without harming the actual object.
Would oiling be OK for the board?  If so, vegetable or olive oil might help remove the glue residue.
I can't imagine oil wouldn't be ok... I'll try that.

I am assuming that it is a plasticized paper label that leaves residue & paper when gently peeled off. I usually use GooGone to remove it, but that has petroleum distilates which are toxic. I performed and experiment after reading Outdoor Girl's post.

I have a plastic tumbler with sticky stuff from a label on it, so instead of GooGone, I used mineral oil on a paper towel and it pretty much just wiped the goo right off! That's what I use to treat my cutting boards, and it is used as a laxative. I bought it in the laxative section of the pharmacy. By the way: ignore the expiration date for this purpose. That stuff doesn't go bad. Miner is over 12 years old.

Thank you Willy-Nilly, for your 'stupid question', and thank you Outdoor Girl for your suggestion.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8590 on: October 17, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

I'm too curious, I cant' figure out what this is. I see a bowl and a corkscrew with cut outs for each. Is the silver ring a wine bottle spilly thingy? Aht are the two things in the back ith with porcelein handles? Is it a wine and cheese board?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8591 on: October 17, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »

I'm too curious, I cant' figure out what this is. I see a bowl and a corkscrew with cut outs for each. Is the silver ring a wine bottle spilly thingy? Aht are the two things in the back ith with porcelein handles? Is it a wine and cheese board?

I was curious, too, and found the link to the product page: http://www.leedsbagstore.com/leeds-imprinted-entertainerwinecheeseboard-promotional-91940.html

It is indeed a wine and cheese board, although I can't quite figure out what the silver ring is supposed to be for (the website doesn't say).

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #8592 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:15 PM »
It is a wine and cheese board, and its nice aside from the name of the financial institution that gave it to DH as an industry party favor; hence me wanting to remove the plaque bit, which is not plasticized paper label but an engraved bit of aluminum stuck on.

The ring thingie is a metal ring lined with velvet. You put it around the neck of your wine bottle after its opened so after you pour if you get a little drop of wine running down the side it gets soaked up by the ring instead of proceeding down and staining your table cloth.
The two things behind it are a cheese knife and spreader (for a soft cheese) they attach to the block via embedded magnets in the wood (the ring is also held in place via a magnet in the wood). There is also a wine stopper that inserts into the wood block (held in via gravity).

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:13:21 PM by WillyNilly »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8593 on: October 17, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »
What a cool thing!  I would just leave it..........or.........

You can pop the little aluminum plaque off with a small chisel or putty knife. It will (in my experience) leave a few globs of glue behind.

Then..............

You can heat it with a hairdryer and gently, with the chisel or putty knife, ease the globs off. A two person job! And lots of snoopervising and snipping while doing it. What fun. Just be very careful not to dig with the corner of the tool as you work.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #8594 on: October 18, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »
Vocab/Language question:

A woman whose husband has died is a widow, and you can say "She was widowed last year".

A man whose wife has died is a widower. Is one capable of saying he was "widowered" or is that not a word?
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)