Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 843536 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8595 on: October 17, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »
Does anyone know the best way to remove the logo placard from an item like this:

I want to remove it (dissolve the glue I guess) without harming the actual object.

I'm too curious, I cant' figure out what this is. I see a bowl and a corkscrew with cut outs for each. Is the silver ring a wine bottle spilly thingy? Aht are the two things in the back ith with porcelein handles? Is it a wine and cheese board?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8596 on: October 17, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »
Does anyone know the best way to remove the logo placard from an item like this:

I want to remove it (dissolve the glue I guess) without harming the actual object.

I'm too curious, I cant' figure out what this is. I see a bowl and a corkscrew with cut outs for each. Is the silver ring a wine bottle spilly thingy? Aht are the two things in the back ith with porcelein handles? Is it a wine and cheese board?

I was curious, too, and found the link to the product page: http://www.leedsbagstore.com/leeds-imprinted-entertainerwinecheeseboard-promotional-91940.html

It is indeed a wine and cheese board, although I can't quite figure out what the silver ring is supposed to be for (the website doesn't say).

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8597 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:15 PM »
It is a wine and cheese board, and its nice aside from the name of the financial institution that gave it to DH as an industry party favor; hence me wanting to remove the plaque bit, which is not plasticized paper label but an engraved bit of aluminum stuck on.

The ring thingie is a metal ring lined with velvet. You put it around the neck of your wine bottle after its opened so after you pour if you get a little drop of wine running down the side it gets soaked up by the ring instead of proceeding down and staining your table cloth.
The two things behind it are a cheese knife and spreader (for a soft cheese) they attach to the block via embedded magnets in the wood (the ring is also held in place via a magnet in the wood). There is also a wine stopper that inserts into the wood block (held in via gravity).

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:13:21 PM by WillyNilly »

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8598 on: October 17, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »
What a cool thing!  I would just leave it..........or.........

You can pop the little aluminum plaque off with a small chisel or putty knife. It will (in my experience) leave a few globs of glue behind.

Then..............

You can heat it with a hairdryer and gently, with the chisel or putty knife, ease the globs off. A two person job! And lots of snoopervising and snipping while doing it. What fun. Just be very careful not to dig with the corner of the tool as you work.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #8599 on: October 18, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »
Vocab/Language question:

A woman whose husband has died is a widow, and you can say "She was widowed last year".

A man whose wife has died is a widower. Is one capable of saying he was "widowered" or is that not a word?
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8600 on: October 18, 2013, 05:22:36 AM »
Vocab/Language question:

A woman whose husband has died is a widow, and you can say "She was widowed last year".

A man whose wife has died is a widower. Is one capable of saying he was "widowered" or is that not a word?

Widowed is actually correct for both genders. :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

WolfWay

« Reply #8601 on: October 18, 2013, 05:36:34 AM »
Vocab/Language question:

Ah. Thank you.  ;D Silly english language, always changing the darn rules.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8602 on: October 18, 2013, 06:05:40 AM »
Vocab/Language question:

I like to refer to a specific quote on occasions like this.

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. It beats them up in a dark alley and searches their pockets for loose grammar." ;D
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

WolfWay

« Reply #8603 on: October 18, 2013, 06:39:35 AM »
Vocab/Language question:

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. It beats them up in a dark alley and searches their pockets for loose grammar." ;D
I wish I'd known that phrase a couple of days ago. I was debating with a coworker why almost everything in English seems to be irregular (e.g. spelling vs pronounciation, plurals, past tenses) and she was lamenting how hard it was to remember it all when the rules seem to keep changing. I just told her to take her best shot at what she meant and I'd just try figure out it by context.  ;D

I should probably tell her about how "cleave" has two completely opposite meanings. And so does "sanction", now that I think about it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #8604 on: October 18, 2013, 07:15:49 AM »
Vocab/Language question:

I wish I'd known that phrase a couple of days ago. I was debating with a coworker why almost everything in English seems to be irregular (e.g. spelling vs pronounciation, plurals, past tenses) and she was lamenting how hard it was to remember it all when the rules seem to keep changing. I just told her to take her best shot at what she meant and I'd just try figure out it by context.  ;D

I should probably tell her about how "cleave" has two completely opposite meanings. And so does "sanction", now that I think about it.

Even better... one raises a barn to build it, then razes it to destroy it.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8605 on: October 18, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »
Vocab/Language question:

I remember Meg Ryan discussing this in Sleepless in Seattle. "If a man is a widower, why do we say he's been widowed? Why don't we say he's been widowered?" That's the main reason I know. :)

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #8606 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »
I never realized how utterly exasperating the English language was until I started teaching my kid to read.

Holy mackerel.  I kept thinking I found a 'rule' to help her with phonics and then a word would come along and prove me wrong.  I got especially excited when I discovered it seemed single syllable words that ended in "e" had a long vowel sound (bake, cake, kite, cute, cone, etc.)

And then we got to love.  And give.  And a few others that made me just start saying "MOST of the time..."

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8607 on: October 18, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »
WolfWay, one of my professors once told me that English is what happened when Norman soldiers tried to hit on Saxon barmaids, but I don't know if that was a quote or something he thought up.  In any case, it's actually surprisingly fitting to how English came to be, so it's even funnier to me now.

Virg

jilly

« Reply #8608 on: October 18, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »
http://blog.inkyfool.com/ I've only read The Etymologicon but it's fascinating once you get into his style of writing

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8609 on: October 18, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »
Vocab/Language question:

and spare vocabulary.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture