Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1060229 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8625 on: October 21, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »
guihong wrote:

"My stupid question is, Why are all the cans displayed lid down?"

I'm sure there's some reason that I don't know about, but if I had to guess I'd say that it makes it easier to see what's in the jars, rather than looking at a sea of metal lids.

Virg

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8626 on: October 21, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »
guihong wrote:

I'm sure there's some reason that I don't know about, but if I had to guess I'd say that it makes it easier to see what's in the jars, rather than looking at a sea of metal lids.

Virg

Virg, Diane gave the reason a few posts behind:

It's easier to open that way, because the vacuum is at the bottom (which is currently at the top), because all of the product has settled at the top (which is currently at the bottom.)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8627 on: October 21, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »
guihong wrote:

Virg

Virg, Diane gave the reason a few posts behind:

It's easier to open that way, because the vacuum is at the bottom (which is currently at the top), because all of the product has settled at the top (which is currently at the bottom.)

Why would that matter for the state fair, though?  It would make more sense for it to be a display thing for those walking by and looking at the jars.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8628 on: October 22, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »
I went to the State Fair today with DD15.  My favorite part is the arts and crafts, and all the canned things. 

My stupid question is, Why are all the cans displayed lid down?

Do you have any evidence for that? From a general physics standpoint, it doesn't make a lot of sense. The entire contents of the jar, whether it's the food or the small amount of air, is going to be under the same (negative) pressure. Unless the contents of the jar are very, very thick, the air (not vacuum) will rise to the top when you turn it right side up to open. I'm certainly not going to try to open a jar of pickles or strawberry jam without turning it with the lid towards the top.

Sorry, but that sounds like a piece of folk-wisdom to me.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

cwm

« Reply #8629 on: October 22, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »
I went to the State Fair today with DD15.  My favorite part is the arts and crafts, and all the canned things. 

Do you have any evidence for that? From a general physics standpoint, it doesn't make a lot of sense. The entire contents of the jar, whether it's the food or the small amount of air, is going to be under the same (negative) pressure. Unless the contents of the jar are very, very thick, the air (not vacuum) will rise to the top when you turn it right side up to open. I'm certainly not going to try to open a jar of pickles or strawberry jam without turning it with the lid towards the top.

Well, I know there is a way to can low-acid foods by hot-packing and inverting them. It's not very recommended any longer because the vacuum seal isn't very strong, but perhaps these were inversion-canned and the vendor doesn't want to re-invert them for display for some reason.

Just a thought, don't know about physics.

squeakers

« Reply #8630 on: October 22, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »

You don't open the jar while it's upside down... but tipping it upside down and then back does something because it does seem to help "break the seal".  It doesn't work on peanut butter because the air doesn't go anywhere.  But with pickles and salsa the air moves to the bottom and then back to the top but maybe not all at once? Thus the vacuum isn't as "solid" or something? I don't know I just know that it works when I can't just open the jar and is quieter (and safer) than banging the lid with a butter knife or the edge of a counter.

I would guess the display is done that way for 2 reasons: one being able to see the contents of the jars more clearly (like Virg said) and two to make it easier to open and sample the stuff inside.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

wheeitsme

« Reply #8631 on: October 22, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »

When I make jam, I turn the jar upside down when I seal it.  This helps achieve the vacuum seal on the canning jars.  If I want to make the seal stronger, I also give them a water bath.  The non-water bath works best with jams and jellies, because the contents are so hot.  Also, I boil the lids, so they are ready to seal.  As the jars, lids, and contents cool, a vacuum is created.  You can tell because when you use the current canning jar lids, they have a "dimple".  As the contents cool, a properly sealed lid will pop in once as the pressure inside the jar is reduced enough that atmospheric pressure pushes the lid inward.  An improperly sealed jar will allow the dimple to move up and down, sometimes making a popping noise.

My guess as to the display, is partially to add another layer of protection from an accidental vacuum break, show off the contents better, but also I'm guessing that the lids have the owner's information on them.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8632 on: October 23, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
My thought on the physics of turning a canning jar upside down work from the same principle that wine connoisseurs use.  Storing the jar inverted keeps the rubber seal moist (like storing wine cork down) so that it doesn't dry out and let the seal fail.  It won't make much difference in opening the jar, but it will preserve the seal longer, and since canning is done to allow for long term storage it would make sense.

Virg

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8633 on: October 23, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »
I always it was to make things easier for the judges and present a colorful display for visitors. 

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #8634 on: October 23, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
Okay, this is making me nuts.  Awhile back DH and I saw an internet joke making fun of those inspirational "quotes about life"-type posters.  The only thing I can remember for certain was that it ended with "here's a picture of a tree" with a picture of a tree underneath.  DH loved it, and I'm hoping I can find it as an actual poster or print or something for him for Christmas.  But I can't remember the full quote, and that's hindering my search a great deal.  Does anyone else know the full quote?  I'm pretty sure it showed up on one of the Cheezburger sites, if that helps trigger any memories.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8635 on: October 23, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »
I thought of another reason-the ribbon string "catches" on the upturned lip of the can and dangles there.  Right-side-up, it would fall to the shelf.

Xandraea

« Reply #8636 on: October 23, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
Okay, this is making me nuts.  Awhile back DH and I saw an internet joke making fun of those inspirational "quotes about life"-type posters.  The only thing I can remember for certain was that it ended with "here's a picture of a tree" with a picture of a tree underneath.  DH loved it, and I'm hoping I can find it as an actual poster or print or something for him for Christmas.  But I can't remember the full quote, and that's hindering my search a great deal.  Does anyone else know the full quote?  I'm pretty sure it showed up on one of the Cheezburger sites, if that helps trigger any memories.

Is this it?

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/177962622747495042/

ETA: You can purchase it
http://www.signals.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&ITEM=HN5761
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:25:03 PM by Xandraea »

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8637 on: October 23, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »

That awful song "All These Things That I've Done" says over and over, ďIíve got soul, but Iím not a soldier.Ē What kind of word play is that? Itís not a pun, right? Gish asked me this morning because we were lucky  ::) enough to hear it on the radio and I really donít know.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #8638 on: October 23, 2013, 03:45:28 PM »

Is this it?

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/177962622747495042/

ETA: You can purchase it
http://www.signals.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&ITEM=HN5761

Yes, that is exactly it!  Thank you for preserving my sanity!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8639 on: October 23, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »
hobish wrote:

"That awful song "All These Things That I've Done" says over and over, ďIíve got soul, but Iím not a soldier.Ē What kind of word play is that? Itís not a pun, right? Gish asked me this morning because we were lucky  ::) enough to hear it on the radio and I really donít know."

I'd consider it a pun, because it's taking a rhyme as a definition match.

Virg