Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1036715 times)

wheeitsme

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8640 on: October 23, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »

That awful song "All These Things That I've Done" says over and over, ďIíve got soul, but Iím not a soldier.Ē What kind of word play is that? Itís not a pun, right? Gish asked me this morning because we were lucky  ::) enough to hear it on the radio and I really donít know.

It's a play on words using homophones.  "Soul"(s-long o-l)  "Sol"(s-long o-l) dier.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8641 on: October 23, 2013, 06:23:52 PM »

That awful song "All These Things That I've Done" says over and over, ďIíve got soul, but Iím not a soldier.Ē What kind of word play is that? Itís not a pun, right? Gish asked me this morning because we were lucky  ::) enough to hear it on the radio and I really donít know.

It's a play on words using homophones.  "Soul"(s-long o-l)  "Sol"(s-long o-l) dier.
But what's the implication?  That soldiers don't have souls?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

lilfox

« Reply #8642 on: October 23, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »

I'm not familiar with the song but if I had to guess, there's no real implication, just saying "I've got <first half of a longer word that is itself a word>, but I'm not a <the longer word>".  You could sub in other semi-rhyme/semi-homophones with just as little meaning.

I like to mash but I'm not a machine
I'm hip but I'm not a hippo/hipster/hippogriff

Tea Drinker

« Reply #8643 on: October 23, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »

If it meant anything, more likely "all soldiers have souls, and so do I." But I agree that there's no actual meaning here--the songwriter just thought it sounded clever. Or, I suppose, is using the words purely for their sound rather than meaning, as some composers have admitted to doing.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Curious Cat

« Reply #8644 on: October 23, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »
Soldier can also mean "gangster" or "thug" and soul also sometimes means "street cred" so they could be saying they have street cred (or are well known) but that they aren't a thug/gangster.  Do you remember who the artist was?

flickan

« Reply #8645 on: October 23, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »
Soldier can also mean "gangster" or "thug" and soul also sometimes means "street cred" so they could be saying they have street cred (or are well known) but that they aren't a thug/gangster.  Do you remember who the artist was?

The song is called "All These Things That I've Done" and it's by the Killers.  I love this song and most of the lyrics but I admit their lyrics can be hit and miss.  This is the same group that coined the eyeroll-worthy "Are we human, or are we dancer?"

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8646 on: October 23, 2013, 08:29:50 PM »

I never heard the song before, but even before I looked it up on youtube, I immediately thought "I've got soul" meaning I've got feelings, "But I'm not a soldier" meaning I'm not a fighter.

After watching the video? I think the above stands. But I do agree, it is pretty awful.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #8647 on: October 23, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »

The song is called "All These Things That I've Done" and it's by the Killers.  I love this song and most of the lyrics but I admit their lyrics can be hit and miss.  This is the same group that coined the eyeroll-worthy "Are we human, or are we dancer?"

The lyric is "are we human, or are we denser?"

Not that it makes a lick more sense that way. And I thought it was "dancer" until my cousin bought a guitar tab book that had the song in it.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

flickan

« Reply #8648 on: October 23, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »

Not that it makes a lick more sense that way. And I thought it was "dancer" until my cousin bought a guitar tab book that had the song in it.

I think the website of the band officially lists "dancer" but either way it definitely don't make any sense.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #8649 on: October 23, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »

I think the website of the band officially lists "dancer" but either way it definitely don't make any sense.

Really? Guess the book got it wrong then. It was endorsed by the record company too.

Alternately: The Killers think its hilarious to incite flame wars among their fans. (Not that this is one. But YouTube is full of people howling at each other what the lyric "really" is).

Now Im imagining the vocalist switching what word he used in each refrain for the lulz. And it still makes no sense.

I need to go listen to my iPod awhile. I wanna hear both of those songs.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8650 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »

I think that's probably the most likely interpretation, using "soul" and "soldier" in the urban sense.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8651 on: October 24, 2013, 12:21:16 PM »

Thanks yíall. I think maybe homophone was what I was thinking.
I have no idea what the line means. When I was looking up the wordplay it was suggested on a few boards that it meant he has soul/passion for (whatever) but not enough to fight for it.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8652 on: October 24, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »

I think that's probably the most likely interpretation, using "soul" and "soldier" in the urban sense.

I always thought it was 'sole' and 'soldier', cause you know, soldiers march a lot.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8653 on: October 24, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »
There have been many discussions about the word "pompatus" though the years, after Steve Miller made reference to "the pompatus of love" in a song.  In the end, after more than a decade of fans searching for what the true meaning of the phrase was, he told people that he invented the word.

I suspect that the "soul/soldier" line we've been discussing exists mostly because the two words sound the same and "what he meant" is something tacked on after the fact.

Virg

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #8654 on: October 24, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »

Here's an interview with Brandon Flowers about the "Are we human or are we dancer" lyric.

I sometimes suspect that thinking too much about the Killers' lyrics will lead to madness.   :)