Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 837757 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8655 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »
Soldier can also mean "gangster" or "thug" and soul also sometimes means "street cred" so they could be saying they have street cred (or are well known) but that they aren't a thug/gangster.  Do you remember who the artist was?

I think that's probably the most likely interpretation, using "soul" and "soldier" in the urban sense.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8656 on: October 24, 2013, 12:21:16 PM »

Thanks y’all. I think maybe homophone was what I was thinking.
I have no idea what the line means. When I was looking up the wordplay it was suggested on a few boards that it meant he has soul/passion for (whatever) but not enough to fight for it.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8657 on: October 24, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »
Soldier can also mean "gangster" or "thug" and soul also sometimes means "street cred" so they could be saying they have street cred (or are well known) but that they aren't a thug/gangster.  Do you remember who the artist was?

I think that's probably the most likely interpretation, using "soul" and "soldier" in the urban sense.

I always thought it was 'sole' and 'soldier', cause you know, soldiers march a lot.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8658 on: October 24, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »
There have been many discussions about the word "pompatus" though the years, after Steve Miller made reference to "the pompatus of love" in a song.  In the end, after more than a decade of fans searching for what the true meaning of the phrase was, he told people that he invented the word.

I suspect that the "soul/soldier" line we've been discussing exists mostly because the two words sound the same and "what he meant" is something tacked on after the fact.

Virg

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #8659 on: October 24, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »

The song is called "All These Things That I've Done" and it's by the Killers.  I love this song and most of the lyrics but I admit their lyrics can be hit and miss.  This is the same group that coined the eyeroll-worthy "Are we human, or are we dancer?"

The lyric is "are we human, or are we denser?"

Not that it makes a lick more sense that way. And I thought it was "dancer" until my cousin bought a guitar tab book that had the song in it.

Here's an interview with Brandon Flowers about the "Are we human or are we dancer" lyric.

I sometimes suspect that thinking too much about the Killers' lyrics will lead to madness.   :)

cwm

« Reply #8660 on: October 25, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »

The song is called "All These Things That I've Done" and it's by the Killers.  I love this song and most of the lyrics but I admit their lyrics can be hit and miss.  This is the same group that coined the eyeroll-worthy "Are we human, or are we dancer?"

The lyric is "are we human, or are we denser?"

Not that it makes a lick more sense that way. And I thought it was "dancer" until my cousin bought a guitar tab book that had the song in it.

Here's an interview with Brandon Flowers about the "Are we human or are we dancer" lyric.

I sometimes suspect that thinking too much about the Killers' lyrics will lead to madness.   :)

Agreed. I love their music, but it's one of the groups that I just don't think about it too much. That way lies madness.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #8661 on: October 25, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
No, no, no - "Our House" - THAT way lies Madness.   ;D

*runs away*
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8662 on: October 25, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »
No, no, no - "Our House" - THAT way lies Madness.   ;D

*runs away*

;D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

GreenHall

« Reply #8663 on: October 25, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »
So I keep running this around in my head and I have potential answers but thought I'd poll a larger pool than, myself.

Why can't I get a DVR that works like VCR's of old (or even the DVD player that could record too).  You buy a piece of equipment, fiddle with attaching this to that, synchronize clocks, and it records your show at a given time.  As far as I can find on Amazon, and the installation dude told me (so he might have another agenda), You can only do DVR on a subscription base.
Why?

THis is something I might use once a month; and a lifetime has taught me that I will survive missing an episode.  I don't want to pay $20+ a month for the little use I would get. 

I also just got very basic DSL television package.  SO basic that both the store I went into, and the guy installing didn't know they had this basic a package.  Broadcast channels and QVC is what I get.  So if not a Luddite, I am still not really up with the Jones's.

magicdomino

« Reply #8664 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »
That's why I don't own a DVR.  If I wanted to pay a subscription, I'd get a cable or satellite package that includes the DVR.  Only thing that I can figure is that the producing companies  want to be sure that they get a cut of the royalties.  I guess Tivo makes enough on the subscription that they can afford to lose Luddites like us.   ???

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8665 on: October 25, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »
So I keep running this around in my head and I have potential answers but thought I'd poll a larger pool than, myself.

Why can't I get a DVR that works like VCR's of old (or even the DVD player that could record too).  You buy a piece of equipment, fiddle with attaching this to that, synchronize clocks, and it records your show at a given time.  As far as I can find on Amazon, and the installation dude told me (so he might have another agenda), You can only do DVR on a subscription base.
Why?

THis is something I might use once a month; and a lifetime has taught me that I will survive missing an episode.  I don't want to pay $20+ a month for the little use I would get. 

I also just got very basic DSL television package.  SO basic that both the store I went into, and the guy installing didn't know they had this basic a package.  Broadcast channels and QVC is what I get.  So if not a Luddite, I am still not really up with the Jones's.

I am betting the subscription is to cover costs of maintaining the program database - all the DVRs you buy aren't typically set up to record like a VCR - they don't just Channel 12 from 8am to 10am, they record Show X, which is scheduled on Channel 12 from 8am to 10am. And knowing what shows are on which channels at whatever times (and which episode of each show is airing on each date/time) requires maintaining a central database, which each DVR using that service contacts on a regular basis to update its local listing.

I am sure that a DVR that works like a VCR is entirely possible, but you'd probably have to make it yourself (or get one to do it for you), maybe repurposing an old computer with a nice big hard drive. I wonder if there's any software out there to do that...
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GreenBird

« Reply #8666 on: October 25, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »

Why?

Magnavox still makes a DVR like you're looking for.  It records to a hard drive, and it's timer recording just like the VCRs of old.  Set the start and end times, and it'll record.  You can also copy a recording from the hard drive onto a DVD disk if you want.   The model numbers are:

MDR537H/F7 for a 1TB hard drive
MDR535H/F7 for a 500GB hard drive
MDR533H/F7 for a 320GB hard drive

and you can find them at Walmart and maybe a few other places.  I don't know anyone else who still makes them like this, though, so if you want one you might want to look into it soon!

GreenHall

« Reply #8667 on: October 25, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »

Why?

Awesome - it exists!
NOt so awesome - my budget right now.  But something to save my pennies for...

THANKS!! ;D
Magnavox still makes a DVR like you're looking for.  It records to a hard drive, and it's timer recording just like the VCRs of old.  Set the start and end times, and it'll record.  You can also copy a recording from the hard drive onto a DVD disk if you want.   The model numbers are:

MDR537H/F7 for a 1TB hard drive
MDR535H/F7 for a 500GB hard drive
MDR533H/F7 for a 320GB hard drive

and you can find them at Walmart and maybe a few other places.  I don't know anyone else who still makes them like this, though, so if you want one you might want to look into it soon!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8668 on: October 25, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »

Cool! I had no idea such a thing is out there. I love my DVR and use it a lot. That first time pausing live television is magical, I tell ya, just magical. I'm thinking my mom would love one of the kind you mentioned, though.
~Gaslight Anthem

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8669 on: October 25, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »
There's an edition of TiVo that also does that without a subscription - they don't make them anymore, so it took DH some looking to find a refurbished one, but he did find it for MIl.  They keep trying to call her and get her to upgrade, but of course that would involve paying money each month, so she's very happy to stick with what she already has :-)