News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 04:42:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2562810 times)

jpcher

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8640 on: October 26, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
Carved one about three weeks ago--it lasted about 10 days before really getting rotten (getting lit every night).  That just gave us an opportunity to carve another one.

Who cares if the first one rots?  It is fun to carve pumpkins.

This has been my experience as well, carved pumpkins last much longer than just a few days. I usually carve mine a week before halloween and put them outside with the rest of the decorations (guess what I'm doing tomorrow ;)) and they still look good for halloween. I light candles in them only on halloween day.

Maybe it's regional weather? Around here average temperature in October is 50oF.

And maybe the most obvious question of all: Why do we carve pumpkins at Halloween?  (My dad did when I was a kid, but no one in my family likes pumpkin or cares to do it)

Because it's a fun, creative project that the whole family can enjoy doing together. It goes hand-in-hand with picking out the costumes and decorating the lawn. Tradition! ;D . . . oh, yeah, and them yummy pumpkin seeds!

Soooooo many fond memories of pumpkin carving when the DDs were younger. Before they could handle the utensils they would draw what they wanted and LDH would do the carving . . . this is the first year in 20+ that I'm carving a pumpkin by myself. :'(

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #8641 on: October 26, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »
It's cold enough here by the end of October that just leaving the pumpkins outside (instead of taking up a bunch of room in the fridge) does enough to stop them from rotting.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #8642 on: October 26, 2013, 06:07:47 PM »
I went to a friend's pumpkin-carving party a few years ago. She cut off the top, then scooped out the flesh and seeds. Then people carved a face, and others just hung around and socialized while my friend made pumpkin pies and toasted pumpkin seeds as a snack.

The carved pumpkin wound up outside her house; this was in Westchester, N.Y. (just north of New York City), so it was cool out but not refrigerator-cold, and she said it lasted fine as a display until after Halloween.

If you just want pumpkin pie, you can do fine with canned pumpkin; if you're carving the pumpkin anyhow, it's worth making a pie or pumpkin soup or something.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Curious Cat

« Reply #8643 on: October 29, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »
Here are some tips on keeping pumpkins fresher longer

http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/carvedpumpkins.php

Snooks

« Reply #8644 on: November 02, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
Is Vor a military term?  If so what does it mean?

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8645 on: November 02, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »
Is Vor a military term?  If so what does it mean?

Yes. It's from Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga books and refers to a military (and aristocratic) class on the fictional world, Barrayar. One of my favourite series ever.

http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lois_McMaster_Bujold

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #8646 on: November 02, 2013, 07:34:38 PM »
What does bird-dogging someone mean?  A person used it in a comment on FB the other day, and I can't figure it out from context - they just said something like "stop bird-dogging me". 

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #8647 on: November 02, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
What does bird-dogging someone mean?  A person used it in a comment on FB the other day, and I can't figure it out from context - they just said something like "stop bird-dogging me".
Following closely, like a dog follows its master or tracks a bird.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8648 on: November 03, 2013, 01:18:12 AM »
Stupid question: when there's a time change and we gain an hour (like tonight), do police logs and the like have to specify?  Like "Burglary at 1:15 AM (the first one, not the second one)"?  How do systems like at hospitals cope with it, for things like when people are supposed to have medication at strict intervals?  Do they just bump the interval back an hour, or do they assume an extra hour won't kill the patients, or do they gradually work their way into it, or what?

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #8649 on: November 03, 2013, 01:50:39 AM »
Stupid question: when there's a time change and we gain an hour (like tonight), do police logs and the like have to specify?  Like "Burglary at 1:15 AM (the first one, not the second one)"?  How do systems like at hospitals cope with it, for things like when people are supposed to have medication at strict intervals?  Do they just bump the interval back an hour, or do they assume an extra hour won't kill the patients, or do they gradually work their way into it, or what?

I don't know, but now I really want to!

Snooks

« Reply #8650 on: November 03, 2013, 02:58:15 AM »

Not sure about medication but I'd guess with logs you put the notation for the time (in the UK we use BST or GMT+1 and GMT).

Iris

« Reply #8651 on: November 03, 2013, 03:04:22 AM »

Not sure about medication but I'd guess with logs you put the notation for the time (in the UK we use BST or GMT+1 and GMT).

DH said something similar for keeping train logs (as is his job, he's not a train spotter :)). The continuous graph just goes "1 am - 1.30am - 1.59am - 1am" because it's obvious where it changes, but in written records and reports they write (say) 1:17 am EST (Eastern Standard Time) or 1:17 am DST (Daylight Savings Time)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8652 on: November 03, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »
Stupid question: when there's a time change and we gain an hour (like tonight), do police logs and the like have to specify?  Like "Burglary at 1:15 AM (the first one, not the second one)"?

When I had to write duty reports and guard reports, we would make a note: 11:59 pm - Beginning of Summer time. From that point on, all times were written in the new time.

Dindrane

« Reply #8653 on: November 03, 2013, 07:53:16 PM »
At least in the US, all time zones have a "standard time" and "daylight savings time" code. So in the Pacific timezone, we just switched from PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) to PST (Pacific Standard Time).

For things like medication, I don't know what hospitals tend to do, although I imagine it depends on the medication. Some medicines probably do need to be taken on a very specific interval schedule, but not necessarily at precisely the same time of day. For others (like medicine you take either with or without food), the interval between doses might be less important than the time of day those doses are taken.

Bluenomi

« Reply #8654 on: November 03, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »
I was in hospital when daylight savings finished one year. They just wrote AEST or AEDT on the chart.  Mind you I was in maternity so it wasn't  a huge deal if things weren't exact.

When I worked in TV our logs either had 2 lots of 2-3am or skipped from 2 to 3 am.