Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1058739 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8685 on: November 03, 2013, 01:18:12 AM »
Stupid question: when there's a time change and we gain an hour (like tonight), do police logs and the like have to specify?  Like "Burglary at 1:15 AM (the first one, not the second one)"?  How do systems like at hospitals cope with it, for things like when people are supposed to have medication at strict intervals?  Do they just bump the interval back an hour, or do they assume an extra hour won't kill the patients, or do they gradually work their way into it, or what?

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #8686 on: November 03, 2013, 01:50:39 AM »
Stupid question: when there's a time change and we gain an hour (like tonight), do police logs and the like have to specify?  Like "Burglary at 1:15 AM (the first one, not the second one)"?  How do systems like at hospitals cope with it, for things like when people are supposed to have medication at strict intervals?  Do they just bump the interval back an hour, or do they assume an extra hour won't kill the patients, or do they gradually work their way into it, or what?

I don't know, but now I really want to!

Snooks

« Reply #8687 on: November 03, 2013, 03:58:15 AM »

Not sure about medication but I'd guess with logs you put the notation for the time (in the UK we use BST or GMT+1 and GMT).

Iris

« Reply #8688 on: November 03, 2013, 04:04:22 AM »

Not sure about medication but I'd guess with logs you put the notation for the time (in the UK we use BST or GMT+1 and GMT).

DH said something similar for keeping train logs (as is his job, he's not a train spotter :)). The continuous graph just goes "1 am - 1.30am - 1.59am - 1am" because it's obvious where it changes, but in written records and reports they write (say) 1:17 am EST (Eastern Standard Time) or 1:17 am DST (Daylight Savings Time)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8689 on: November 03, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »
Stupid question: when there's a time change and we gain an hour (like tonight), do police logs and the like have to specify?  Like "Burglary at 1:15 AM (the first one, not the second one)"?

When I had to write duty reports and guard reports, we would make a note: 11:59 pm - Beginning of Summer time. From that point on, all times were written in the new time.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8690 on: November 03, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »
At least in the US, all time zones have a "standard time" and "daylight savings time" code. So in the Pacific timezone, we just switched from PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) to PST (Pacific Standard Time).

For things like medication, I don't know what hospitals tend to do, although I imagine it depends on the medication. Some medicines probably do need to be taken on a very specific interval schedule, but not necessarily at precisely the same time of day. For others (like medicine you take either with or without food), the interval between doses might be less important than the time of day those doses are taken.

Bluenomi

« Reply #8691 on: November 03, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »
I was in hospital when daylight savings finished one year. They just wrote AEST or AEDT on the chart.  Mind you I was in maternity so it wasn't  a huge deal if things weren't exact.

When I worked in TV our logs either had 2 lots of 2-3am or skipped from 2 to 3 am.

paige =^..^=

• website
« Reply #8692 on: November 13, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »
I have a stupid question!  :)

I need a good manicure kit, high quality, something that will last longer than a few months.  By "manicure kit" I mean 1 or 2 good (sharp) nail clippers, maybe tweezers, emory boards, cuticle stuff.

Using my "best" clippers last night, the hinge slipped and the blades twisted and sliced up the side of one finger.

I don't buy the cheapest clippers, but still, I'd love to find something high-quality I could use for a long time.

Any brand/product ideas?  I don't have a *huge* budget, but I'd gladly pay for a high-end set of clippers that won't maim or leave me requiring stitches. ;)

Thanks in advance!!

(nail-biter trying to break the habit) 8)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.

paige =^..^=

• website

Carotte

« Reply #8695 on: November 15, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »
I need to find someone I can ask a pretty specific biology/female reproductive system/birth control question. It's not a medical advice at all, it's really a 'how it works' question or clarification. But I haven't had any luck yet and have no one around me who studied med or would know.
As it is I think someone could be a great obgyn and not know the answer so I don't think  every doctor would know, I'm not even sure if it's something to know or if it's the birth control manufacturers protecting their behind by stating it on their notice or if it's an urban legend never debunked or what.

That being said, does anyone here knows where (on line) I could ask this kind of question? Maybe a blog populated by doctors and smart people? Or someone from here maybe?

menley

« Reply #8696 on: November 15, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »
I need to find someone I can ask a pretty specific biology/female reproductive system/birth control question. It's not a medical advice at all, it's really a 'how it works' question or clarification. But I haven't had any luck yet and have no one around me who studied med or would know.
As it is I think someone could be a great obgyn and not know the answer so I don't think  every doctor would know, I'm not even sure if it's something to know or if it's the birth control manufacturers protecting their behind by stating it on their notice or if it's an urban legend never debunked or what.

That being said, does anyone here knows where (on line) I could ask this kind of question? Maybe a blog populated by doctors and smart people? Or someone from here maybe?

You've got me really curious!

I found this article about a couple of places to ask medical experts questions online, for free. Perhaps one of those would do the trick? http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-sites-medical-questions-answered-experts-free/

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #8697 on: November 15, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »

Have you tried Scarleteen?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #8698 on: November 15, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »
Don't underestimate your On/Gun.  That speciality tends to be experts in strange reproductive questions and urban legends.  If they don't know, try the health department.  They have heard it all.
Not such a newbie anymore

squeakers

« Reply #8699 on: November 15, 2013, 06:59:43 PM »

PM sent.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin